How do I become as cool as some albertans?

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can't fault people for loving their birthplace or old stomping grounds. no one cooks like mom

No you can't. But in some of our communities, the "our hometown is better than yours" attitude is running rampant and it gets to be in your face everywhere you go. You don't see any appreciation for the opportunity some of these people have in our provinces.

And for the record, I'm not talking about Calgary.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to get my husband a barbecue for his birthday. What kind of features should I be looking for, and where would the biggest bang for my little mini bucks be?

Momma :)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I am going to get my husband a barbecue for his birthday. What kind of features should I be looking for, and where would the biggest bang for my little mini bucks be?
Momma :)

It depends on how many times you want to spent your "mini bucks"!

If you buy one at WalMart for cheap you will need to buy another one in a year or two and the cycle continues.
If you buy a better one at Costco or a BBQ shop it will last longer and you will probably save bucks in the long run.
Just my two cents......

PS It is sort of like buying gear; buy the cheap stuff over and over and always be wet or buy the good stuff and be happy. Sure it costs more money but I think you get the point.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It depends on how many times you want to spent your "mini bucks"!

If you buy one at WalMart for cheap you will need to buy another one in a year or two and the cycle continues.
If you buy a better one at Costco or a BBQ shop it will last longer and you will probably save bucks in the long run.
Just my two cents......

PS It is sort of like buying gear; buy the cheap stuff over and over and always be wet or buy the good stuff and be happy. Sure it costs more money but I think you get the point.

Yup totally makes sense. I was checking out the ones at home hardware. Not sure how they fair as far as quality goes. Seem to be better than wally world though.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This thread makes me laugh. But I am getting sick of the "BC vs everyone" attitude so here's my comments.

I got no lifted truck, no fancy house, no white oakleys. I don't have the typical attitude of "my money makes your town worth living in so let me do what I want like triple park my jacked F350 and leave it idling for hours on end." I'm respectful to every place I visit. I've seen it from both ends of the spectrum, there is absolutely a huge crowd of douchebags from AB/Sask, but we are not all the same, sorry to burst the stereotype bubble. Seen many many jacked up diesels in the forestry crews in BC, not sure just how the BC guys think its any different than the oilpatch? So you visibly rape thousands of acres of forest, oops I mean cut trees down, instead of drilling holes? How much diesel fuel is burned pushing a foresty road up the side of a mountain or burned in skidders/feller bunchers/yarders during tree processing? Do you know where the diesel in the trucks hauling the logs to mill comes from?

Someone made the comment about living in BC and having "clean" air and water. hahahaha, that is the biggest fallacy statement I have heard in a long time - "clean air and water in BC". uhhh, have you looked over your back fence? Have you ever been to Kamloops? Do you know how bad the air quality is around some of the mills in BC? How about what the pulp and paper industry has done to the water quality in several BC rivers? Do you know the kinds of chemicals they use to bleach pulp? well, one for starters is....bleach. No, you don't have "clean" water either, so that's a bit like the pot calling the kettle black in terms of polluting the environment. Let's not even talk about Vancouver. You can thank the oilpatch workers for the track on your sled and the tires on your truck though...pretty hard to recreate without gas in either of these vehicles too... :)

I spend a lot of time in the koots at my place with my extended family from Castlegar who've lived there for more than 4 generations. If you've moved to BC and haven't lived there your whole life, you are an outsider just like so many others. So many people talking about "their" BC, yeah, I've been there the better part of my life, mail still goes there, so what if I'm in AB making cash to spend in our BC? To me - you are the outsider since I've lived there longer and have just as many roots in the community. I've fought for more riding areas and signed more petitions than I can ever remember - ALL FOR OUR RIDING AREAS IN BC!!!! The mountains don't belong to you last time I checked, so back off with the self-righteous opinions about "your" province. Imagine what would happen if you alienate other provinces and lose their support, and the local riding areas start closing? Trust me, you can't go it alone, I've been trying my whole life. Now you gotta drive somewhere to ride just like us rich guys next door.....

Nope, I don't have a jacked up truck, attitude or sunglasses to match, regardless of my location on the internet. I'm just a dude with a sled and a love for the mountains, getting out ripping some powder and having good times with my family and friends. If we weren't divided by some line drawn on a map - how different are we really?

it comes from the americand or chineese

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup totally makes sense. I was checking out the ones at home hardware. Not sure how they fair as far as quality goes. Seem to be better than wally world though.

I get what FS is saying but there must be a preface on everything. How much do you BBQ? Don't buy a $1000 BBQ if you only use it in the summer (unless you have lots of disposable income and just want to part with it). Is he a traditionalist/purist (BBQ snob) or does he just like to cook outside in the summer? Me personally, I am a smoky flavour kind of guy so I like slow cooked on charcoal or apple/hickory wood chips, time ain't a thing for me when BBQing and heat prep is key to me. I cook about 2-3 nights on the BBQ all year round, at home in BC in the summer we will cook on the BBQ or fire pit almost every night. Veggies, etc, you name it, even cooked Xmas turkey on there.

Do you have natural gas/propane/etc.? Propane burns a little hotter than natural gas, both have about the same flavour IMO when cooking. More burners and BTU's is always a good thing, but uses more fuel obviously (this is a bigger deal when hooked to a propane tank with limited supply). Don't spend the money on a separate "external" burner model, had them on 3 BBQ's and very very very rarely use them. Get more BTU's and more grilling space than fancy features IMO. We started our marriage with "old smoky" (named that because no matter what you cooked on it or at what temperature, it smoked like a mofo for no reason), and had 2 burners - one cold side and one hot side, we often said that it was old couples BBQ because that's what your marriage is like after about 40 yrs (and it was about as old as the mountains).

And to answer your question Jay: (all cooked on the BBQ) Fri - corn and steak: Sat breakfast (in the freakin' snow.....)- hashbrowns and sausages: Sat dinner - red and yellow peppers and chicken: Sunday - Ate at the mother in laws :)

Last edited:

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't spend the money on a separate "external" burner model, had them on 3 BBQ's and very very very rarely use them.

Mine has one of these on it, I intended to use it for corn or some such, still havent even turned the damned thing on. My Q has a cast iron fire box, which is excellent for keeping heat during the dead of winter. More pricey, but if you use the thing year round, it's a fair investment.

What I've learned from this thread, there are people who don't BBQ year round?!?!!!!

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get what FS is saying but there must be a preface on everything. How much do you BBQ? Don't buy a $1000 BBQ if you only use it in the summer (unless you have lots of disposable income and just want to part with it). Is he a traditionalist/purist (BBQ snob) or does he just like to cook outside in the summer? Me personally, I am a smoky flavour kind of guy so I like slow cooked on charcoal or apple/hickory wood chips, time ain't a thing for me when BBQing and heat prep is key to me. I cook about 2-3 nights on the BBQ all year round, at home in BC in the summer we will cook on the BBQ or fire pit almost every night. Veggies, etc, you name it, even cooked Xmas turkey on there.

Do you have natural gas/propane/etc.? Propane burns a little hotter than natural gas, both have about the same flavour IMO when cooking. More burners and BTU's is always a good thing, but uses more fuel obviously (this is a bigger deal when hooked to a propane tank with limited supply). Don't spend the money on a separate "external" burner model, had them on 3 BBQ's and very very very rarely use them. Get more BTU's and more grilling space than fancy features IMO. We started our marriage with "old smoky" (named that because no matter what you cooked on it or at what temperature, it smoked like a mofo for no reason), and had 2 burners - one cold side and one hot side, we often said that it was old couples BBQ because that's what your marriage is like after about 40 yrs (and it was about as old as the mountains).

And to answer your question Jay: (all cooked on the BBQ) Fri - corn and steak: Sat breakfast (in the freakin' snow.....)- hashbrowns and sausages: Sat dinner - red and yellow peppers and chicken: Sunday - Ate at the mother in laws :)
Yeah toss the side burner out the window................Me I'm getting a Green Egg . I would rather spend good money on a smoker or cue as I use 3-4 time a week.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
now these Albortions r not only throwing garbage in front of my house they r sh!tn on my road ... just what BC needs more sh!theads ...

they have you don't they?!
Who BBQ'd what this weekend?

We had some delicious Elk burgers on Saturday. With jalapino and cheese. MMM.

and I BBQ'd bacon wrapped sirloin, mushrooms, onions and peppers in homemade BBQ sauce, asparagus in balsamic vinagrette, olive oil and pepper and french onion potatoes and veggies. :D

photo(6).JPG

Last edited:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine has one of these on it, I intended to use it for corn or some such, still havent even turned the damned thing on. My Q has a cast iron fire box, which is excellent for keeping heat during the dead of winter. More pricey, but if you use the thing year round, it's a fair investment.

What I've learned from this thread, there are people who don't BBQ year round?!?!!!!

Yeah toss the side burner out the window................Me I'm getting a Green Egg . I would rather spend good money on a smoker or cue as I use 3-4 time a week.

I use the side burner for cooking mushrooms and onions when I'm doing steaks, nothing much else though because you need a different pan for it IMPO. Don't try to use a teflon non-stick deal on the side burner as it just burns the teflon off I've found, just get a nice stainless pan and use that.

they have you don't they?!

and I BBQ'd bacon wrapped sirloin, mushrooms, onions and peppers in homemade BBQ sauce, asparagus in balsamic vinagrette, olive oil and pepper and french onion potatoes and veggies. :D

View attachment 130045

fawk yeah looks good kiddo! Not only can you wrench on sleds but you can also cook?!!!! You are gonna make some dude a happy husband one day!!! :D

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the side burner for cooking mushrooms and onions when I'm doing steaks, nothing much else though because you need a different pan for it IMPO. Don't try to use a teflon non-stick deal on the side burner as it just burns the teflon off I've found, just get a nice stainless pan and use that.

I'm gonna dig out our cast iron pan that we use over a fire for just this use. Here we've been sauteeing things inside when we could have been using the burner that's there.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

as always, a man of many intelligent words and thoughts......great summary modman!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
and ya' that side burner always has great potential. I use it for shrooms/onions, old fashioned perked coffee for special breakfast when using the BBQ griddle for pancakes, eggs, bacon. But I never seem to use it enough.

After one buys the BBQ, one has to make it convenient to use the whole shebang......

IMG_0371.jpg

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and ya' that side burner always has great potential. I use it for shrooms/onions, old fashioned perked coffee for special breakfast when using the BBQ griddle for pancakes, eggs, bacon. But I never seem to use it enough.

After one buys the BBQ, one has to make it convenient to use the whole shebang......

View attachment 130082

Got dang! Classy yard there FS

Top Bottom