Horse Rescue up the Renshaw

BonBon

Reaction score
I don't know how a 3-year-old horse that he bought for $300 can be worth $30,000. Unless he boards it at a really fancy barn, which he doesn't. He is full of BS.

While I agree that its nice to have a piece of journalism that shows both sides.....I'm still unconvinced that Mr. Lawyer man is telling any kind of truths!? How did 2 horses (supposedly bound for the slaughter house) that originally cost him $300 suddenly become a $30,000.00 investment??!!! Sounds to me like someone has been a lawyer too long and should maybe consider retiring to become a politician!! :D They're famous for skirting around the actual issue and truth!!! Mr. Mackay would fit right in!! Honestly! Kind of sick of hearing all the BS that seems to spew from him!?
But either way as long as the horses remain safe and not returned to this guy its going to be a good day!

12pawdrive

Reaction score
I worked with horses for many years, grew up in a fairly remote area, and there were some pretty bad stories about what could happen to pack horses in remote mountain areas. Horses get in wrecks, quit, take off without a trace, etc. in tough terrain and bad weather moves in. Crap happens with horses. I get that.
I get that this guy had a 'crap happens' moment with these horses and was having a really tough time getting them back.
And I get that the guy could have wrecked his truck and been too bunged up to get back.

However, the point that fries me is where he goes up looking for them in deep snow without a gun, finds them, and then leaves them for 'nature to take care of'. At the very least he should have hired someone to go up and shoot them ASAP if he couldn't do it himself- I don't know about McBride, but where I grew up this would have been a grim but understandable mission to get hired on for. Instead... he drives off to let the cold and starvation kill them slowly without trying to get anyone local involved when he KNOWS where they are and KNOWS they're not going anywhere.

And then he has the cajones to demand them back. Holy cow.

FWIW we had at least one very memorable ultra-heroic-against-the-odds mountain horse rescue when I was growing up. People were willing to let the owner's certain degree of ineptitude slide given the tough and rather odd circumstances of the incident, but the horse going back to the guy was NEVER even considered. He and the vets and everyone else involved was happy just to see it all end on a good note if I recall it correctly.

JMO: A little humility might have taken him a lot farther. As it stands now, he could be facing some serious repercussions.... and I'm not really sorry.

Wanderlust

Reaction score
Can't help but think that something in the article has been taken out of context for example 2 horses one of which is 3 years old and claiming to have spent $30,000 (on two) not sure what gives, but whatever, the horses are out and that's what's important. I think this fellow has been bashed around enough, and really don't like seeing his pictures/CV's being published on this site. I still say that there's two sides to every story and what goes around comes around. Oh, and leave your ego at the door. Maybe this won't have the ending that some of us want, but maybe it will. Let's not forget that there are other animals being treated inhumanely even as this story goes on and we all have a responsibility to PREVENT it from happening in the first place.

thanks to the previous poster for removing picture....

Wanderlust

Reaction score
I worked with horses for many years, grew up in a fairly remote area, and there were some pretty bad stories about what could happen to pack horses in remote mountain areas. Horses get in wrecks, quit, take off without a trace, etc. in tough terrain and bad weather moves in. Crap happens with horses. I get that.
I get that this guy had a 'crap happens' moment with these horses and was having a really tough time getting them back.
And I get that the guy could have wrecked his truck and been too bunged up to get back.

However, the point that fries me is where he goes up looking for them in deep snow without a gun, finds them, and then leaves them for 'nature to take care of'. At the very least he should have hired someone to go up and shoot them ASAP if he couldn't do it himself- I don't know about McBride, but where I grew up this would have been a grim but understandable mission to get hired on for. Instead... he drives off to let the cold and starvation kill them slowly without trying to get anyone local involved when he KNOWS where they are and KNOWS they're not going anywhere.

And then he has the cajones to demand them back. Holy cow.

FWIW we had at least one very memorable ultra-heroic-against-the-odds mountain horse rescue when I was growing up. People were willing to let the owner's certain degree of ineptitude slide given the tough and rather odd circumstances of the incident, but the horse going back to the guy was NEVER even considered. He and the vets and everyone else involved was happy just to see it all end on a good note if I recall it correctly.

JMO: A little humility might have taken him a lot farther. As it stands now, he could be facing some serious repercussions.... and I'm not really sorry.

Sorry, I missed the class on abbreviations!!! what does FWIW mean??
I think a lot of us are feeling the same...being involved at the beginning of the digging would have meant a lot, even in spirit for christ's sake, communication is key as we all know-from both ends.....
cheers to everyone this lovely and snowy new year...:beer:

laserRob

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you here at 'Snow and Mud' for posting up-to-date information.

Very interesting..........to say the least.

Checking everyday.

Rob

Saigo

Reaction score
I'm still unconvinced that Mr. Lawyer man is telling any kind of truths!? How did 2 horses (supposedly bound for the slaughter house) that originally cost him $300 suddenly become a $30,000.00 investment??!!!

And earlier statements he says he's raised them from weanling's. He's getting his stories construed.

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He says at some point you have to make a buisness decision .. Well we all know how the last one turned out. Guess time will tell

Falling Star

Reaction score
And earlier statements he says he's raised them from weanling's. He's getting his stories construed.

My mistake. It should have read 3 MONTHS. He has had them since they were weanlings (or at least so he says).

Sage

Reaction score
How about someone takes $300 out of the fund to repay him for his horses. Maybe that would shut him up. And how about a few extra dollars to purchase him a thesaurus to help with his vocabulary ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Put him out there for the amount of time the horses were, bring him in food once in about three months like the horses got, and then let HIM walk out, THEN he can have them back. It is disgusting that it's even a question if he is going to get them back. He deserves all the bashing he's got, and more. The only question should be how long he spends in jail and how big of fine he gets. Returning them to him would be a slap in the face to everything who helped get them out as far as i'm concerned.

TrishaC

Reaction score
My sentiments exactly, Cycle. Let him eat once in three months in the freezing cold weather. The question of whether or not he gets Sundance and Belle returned to him SHOULD NOT BE OPEN FOR DISCUSSION. He lost his rights as a human being when he left two creatures less fortunate them himself to fend for themselves when they were already domesticated. We as the so called "higher being" (GAG) are responsible for those we domesticate and bring into our lives.

Falling Star

Reaction score
My sentiments exactly, Cycle. Let him eat once in three months in the freezing cold weather. The question of whether or not he gets Sundance and Bella returned to him SHOULD NOT BE OPEN FOR DISCUSSION. He lost his rights as a human being when he left two creatures less fortunate them himself to fend for themselves when they were already domesticated. We as the so called "higher being" (GAG) are responsible for those we domesticate and bring into our lives.

I talked to the SPCA today and it is highly unlikely that he will get these horses back. Charges are expected to be forwarded to the Crown by the end of next week, both under the Cruelty to Animal Act and under the Criminal Code.

TrishaC

Reaction score
Oh, I so hope that is what will happen. My frustration, is I don't have property to offer up room for horses. Maybe it is a good thing. I am now going to do what I can for others with rescues. I can't do anything else at this time. I'm 64 with no property, but I will help the other young people who are truly interested in the care of this magnificient animal. I have never felt so "normal" as when I was in the presence of a horse

Last edited:

Laara

Reaction score
I found your site yesterday from a Google search about Belle and Sundance looking for any updates
I just finished reading all 48 pages.
I've only had the opportunity to sled twice in my entire life. I registered with your site solely to:
Acknowledge, Applaud, Appreciate, the quality people you have proved yourself to be. Wow. All the thought, planning, brainstorming, frostbite, energy etc you contributed.
What pleasures, warmth and personal comfort you sacrificed for two helpless creatures.
You gave the biggest gift of all, your Time.
You epitomize what the Christmas season is supposed to be about (versus gluttonous eating and adding to material belongings. Obviously some of you donated vast amounts of time and energy while others contributed what time, energy and money they could. There is not much difference between the two ultimately. Giving all you can is all that can be asked. You gave that...and more.
Thank you Dave Jeck and everyone involved. Thanks for the photo's.
There isn't the words to express what I and others around the world feel about those of you involved in rescuing Belle and Sundance. Thank You seems so understated. I echo many of the Thanks already posted.
I work in animal rescue here in the Lower Mainland of BC and we have all followed this story.
God Bless you all.

McKay's story changes, contradicts and every time he speaks his mind is on parade. He just doesn't get it.

laserRob

Reaction score
"McKay's story changes, contradicts"

Well...... that's a lawyer for you.

They'll throw anything out there - hoping it sticks.

As Kenny Rogers once sang:

"You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run."

Rob

Falling Star

Reaction score
This update is from Debbie Goodine with the SPCA in Prince George:

The horses are doing well and they did receive the supplements. It is difficult to say how quickly the horses will come up. Winter time tends to be a harder time to put weight back on horses depending on how mild or cold the weather is. Some horses can put a score on in a month, others may take a few months per score. The vet does not believe there to be any other problems associated to the horses poor body condition. Again it may be a bit early to tell, but they have excellent appetites and are quite spunky and social with their neighbours. The feed schedule is hay based and has been increased weekly,*and a small amount of grain has been introduced. I feel it will be another six weeks or so before we see marked improvement on their health. They have not been back to the vets as they are doing well, likley they will return for a check up in about a month, unless something comes up. Wish I had more to share, slow and steady wins the race.

Sage

Reaction score
*big sigh of relief* Have been checking back here every day hoping to get a good health report on the horses. :specool:

Falling Star

Reaction score
Charges to be laid in horse rescue case - The Valley Sentinel

Attachments

• Charges to be laid in horse rescue case - Valley Sentinel Newspaper January 14 2009.pdf
    281.1 KB · Views: 133
Top Bottom