Hood Repairs ????

Green=Go!

Reaction score
Was out sledding yesterday with my kids and one of the boys did some damage on the hood of his snowmobile. There is a 4-5 inch crack at the bottom of the hood.

Does anybody know if you can fix a cracked hood? Is there such a thing as plastic welding and if so, was wondering where I can get it done?

Thanks

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used duramix......body shops fix plastic bumpers all the time......I did plastic welding years ago (made tanks) but I'm sure there is better ways than using the oversized hair drier to melt the plastic and add plastic filler rod!

clarkydubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ripped the whole headlight assembly right off my 2010 m8, got the drill and a 100 pack of zapstraps and its pretty much good to go. definitly has the frankenstien look, but who the f**k cares how it looks.....sled still rips and thats all that maters. if it is just a crack in the hood make sure to drill a hole at each end of it to stop it from cracking further.

Attachments

• wreck.jpg
    wreck.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 185
  • after wreck.jpg
    after wreck.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

polaris011

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can stitch it with small wire such as baler wire ....drill holes equally down each side of the crack take ur wire and pull the crack back together works really well looks clean as well ...problem with zap straps is that they break when t gets really cold out

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you know where Duramix can be bought?

I get it from lordco but you guys dont have them in Alberta! do you have NBR? (body shop supplies) the stuff from Can Tire is not as good.....I tried it once. the duramix comes in a few types.....you want the flexable type or semi flexable....... it has a fancy tube that self mixes it but you need the special type of gun to use it.......talk to any good body shop supply store and explain what you need.......I'm sure they can fix you up! there is also a fiber mat that you can lay down under the duramix that makes it even stronger......you do it like taping drywall.......put the glue down then the mat and then a final layer of glue.......it is usually stronger than the original hood! lol

years ago (when I was 14) I stitched up my elan with stainless steel wire......it had the name "Hay Wire" after that......it worked but looked like frankinstine! with the duramix you cant even tell it has been fixed if you only grind out the back side......if you are repainting or using a wrap.....grind out the back side and use the mat.....let it dry then grind out the front side and let it dry.......sand the front side and paint or wrap and it will be stronger the new!

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in the auto repair biz and bought a plastic welder through my Mac Tool dealer. It was about 325 with all the rods. I have not used it yet. I did smack a tree at Hassler last Sat, so I will be giving it a try. The crack is only about an inch long. It should be an easy repair.

dean_jimmy96

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i ripped the whole headlight assembly right off my 2010 m8, got the drill and a 100 pack of zapstraps and its pretty much good to go. definitly has the frankenstien look, but who the f**k cares how it looks.....sled still rips and thats all that maters. if it is just a crack in the hood make sure to drill a hole at each end of it to stop it from cracking further.
Zip ties work the best, gives the machine some character and like Clark said who cares how it looks as long as the engine runs like a topThe only thing I found that works to hold plastic together is plastic welding with a plastic welding gun or drilling holes and using zip ties Everything flexes to much with epoxy or glue and will crack sooner or later

Top Bottom