Helmets, a thing of the past?

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never seen anyone without a helmet up here for a lot of years. But whenever I’m in Montana I think there’s more people without helmets then with. Don’t know if they believe in avy gear either.

Go on snowest and read some of the attitudes south of the border on avalanche safety, training and awareness. It’s insane...

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m guilty of not always doing up my chin strap, but recognize how stupid it is to go with out it. Have watched on two intanances where guys have lost their helmets. I take my helmet off most times I stop so that my googles don’t fog or fill full of snow. Just bought a set of 509 ignite heated googles, so hopefully this problem is solved!

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m guilty of not always doing up my chin strap, but recognize how stupid it is to go with out it. Have watched on two intanances where guys have lost their helmets. I take my helmet off most times I stop so that my googles don’t fog or fill full of snow. Just bought a set of 509 ignite heated googles, so hopefully this problem is solved!

I have struggled with this as well, i now take my goggles off and set them face up on my handlebars when i stop.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At slow speeds, yes. Once you are moving at any rate of speed, it will fly off. If it wasn't needed. the helmet manufacturer's wouldn't install it.

I guess I should have clarified, yes at slow speeds in the trees as I leave my helmet strap undone as it always taking it off to help others or myself unstuck or stopping for whatever reasons. Going up the trail or on a big climb I will typically due it up. My point was more so directed that if your strap is undone doesn't mean the helmet is useless. If you have a big crash you'll be wishing the strap is done up tight

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Easy to use snap fastener is a must. I started wearing a gyro mountain bike helmet for mountain riding and the difference is night and day. My head just gets way too hot when I ride so the huge vents on the MB helmet makes a huge difference.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To each their own I guess, basically just natural selection at work....

Myself, I have had my life saved a couple times by not just wearing a helmet but wearing a good helmet that fit properly and was done up properly.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was on my way to work up the WAP rd (three valley gap) and saw a group of 4 younger guys on newer machines heading up the trail from the parking lot, only one guy had a helmet on the other three just tuque's and googles. I was locking in my hubs and got a good look to see if maybe helmets were on back of sleds, Nope. Maybe natural selection is making a comeback.

They were probably wondering what the hell you were doing manually locking hubs , are they not a thing of the past?

UltraLiteTriple

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha, its a 16 f550, has the auto setting but i still get out and twist em. Then i don't have to worry about it when the vacuum actuator fails.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always wear a helmet and make sure my kids do too. When I was in the trauma ward at the U of Eh this past summer after my MC accident there was a girl on the same ward that was a passenger on a MC that was involved in an accident. From what I understand she was not wearing a helmet. When I was discharged she had still not woken up. There was another guy on the ward that had went out for a bicycle ride one evening. He fell of his bike and hit his head on the ground. He suffered a brain injury of some sort that resulted in him having violent tendencies to the staff and everyone around him. He was constantly trying to escape from the ward and the hospital. A brain injury is something that I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through. A helmet may not protect you from everything but it certainly helps.

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha, its a 16 f550, has the auto setting but i still get out and twist em. Then i don't have to worry about it when the vacuum actuator fails.
If it hasn’t already failed, lol. My Superduty has them locked in for the winter as it failed.

Seriously though, i agree wear your helmet and do the chin strap up. We have enough people with brain damage out there who voted for Notely and Trudeau, we dont need more people voting for them.

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I honestly haven’t seen any sledders not wearing a helmet... until 2 days ago going up trail at boulder 6 guys - 3 sleds (2 on each standing as they do) with snowboards heading up no helmets... as I passed them I pointed at my helmet suggesting to them... but I got the finger! Each to their own I suppose.. typically they have ski/snowboard helmet on at least.

Last edited:

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was on my way to work up the WAP rd (three valley gap) and saw a group of 4 younger guys on newer machines heading up the trail from the parking lot, only one guy had a helmet on the other three just tuque's and googles. I was locking in my hubs and got a good look to see if maybe helmets were on back of sleds, Nope. Maybe natural selection is making a comeback.

We need our population increase to slow down. It’s a start.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
watched a steves 1999 vertical hill climbing tape on sunday only 1 rider had a backpack with a shovel some were riding without helmet they do cornices big hills and no avalanches were brought down neat to see how technology has come in 20 years in the industry

Top Bottom