Group riding etiquette question?

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20km way to long best rider in the cre in the front or back second best vice versa on deep blower days willys right any more then 4 is a haslle spring times a difeerent story sorry for you luck in all honesty probbly pounded out like evry other zone in western canada right now lol

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's being azzhats. Always shoulder check. Every cornner I take half a second to make sure there is head lights behind me. I hate riding with guys that just go. When I notice no one behind me I pull over, count to 30, if still nothing I shut off and listen, if its quite, I turn around and head back. Usually in big groups I take the back and keep good count of everyone. In groups where I lead my Dad will usually be at the back, so when I look back I'm looking for him.

To me if your riding together, you ride together. Go as slow as your slowest rider.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
best to have a set distance, everyone stops at. check things over etc, guy in front is responsible for the one in back, and makes sure he sees the turns off the trail etc. if ya tell everyone, and guys still keep doing the same, put them in the back or don't invite them along next time.

some people just zone out and forget, although it doesn't sound like this case. and it sure don't take much to get hurt out there.

Last edited:

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another couple good things to do is make sure everyone knows to give adequate space and not

tailgate and I also like to use motorcycle hand signals so the people coming up behind me know to slow down or stop.

Agreed, also use of hand signals for on coming sleds let's you and them know how many more are on coming. Looks drocky and seems many do not know those signals but for those that do it sure helps.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed, also use of hand signals for on coming sleds let's you and them know how many more are on coming. Looks drocky and seems many do not know those signals but for those that do it sure helps.

That is true, but there is many sledders that know what it means. So as RXN has stated, please think about your hand signals! And a take a secod to think about what te other person is saying.
Via; hand signals

Reactions: RXN

lman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just the other day 5 of us went out. 2 had communicators, 2 were newbies, lead knew the trail. One communicator was 2nd, one was tail. Lead always checked a few km's to see everyone was together. When a problem came up tail told 2nd he stopped lead. This was helpful when we had a major problem at end of day! Allowed for quick reaction!

20 km is unreasonable!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20 km is definitly a long way. must not have stopped at all. radios would have been the answer, garmin rinos with ear pones or a coat mic would have been handy.

Mr Husaberg

Reaction score
20 km is a long way lets get some more details. What did you agree to before you left the truck?

I have lead lots of groups, I always keep an eye out for the guy behind but it is nice to keep some distance so once I see the guy behind I go again. This has lead to problems if everyone in the group is not doing the leap frog. As someone almost always gets left behind. As a group you need to be very clear on what your plan is, on the trail and and when you get up top. in a group of 6 sticking to pairs works the best on top and leap frog to the top with a stop to collect All half way if you ride.

And always have radios

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As has been stated before our group which can be 2 to as many as 14 on family rides ALWAYS stops every few kms to play catchup and make sure all is well. That way even the last person in line is never going to be unaccounted for for more than maybe 10 minutes, which can seem like forever pinned under your sled in the ditch.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20 k.m is long ways we always run in big groups just yesterday we had club ride to big of a group we split in to 2 groups of 10 a fast moving group and a slower group work well

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that we need to watch our backs for the following sled, but with technology there is better ways to keep tabs on each other, and it saves a lot of time waiting that you could be riding!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just another thing to add. If you turn back to go looking for your buddy be careful. He may of stopped for a leak and is hell bent on catching up to group. You dont want to have a collision. When this happens to me I drive back in defensive mode ready for the rider to come ripping back. Many time friends have meet at the top of a hill in a scarry incident. (Ride back to find carefully)

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just another thing to add. If you turn back to go looking for your buddy be careful. He may of stopped for a leak and is hell bent on catching up to group. You dont want to have a collision. When this happens to me I drive back in defensive mode ready for the rider to come ripping back. Many time friends have meet at the top of a hill in a scarry incident. (Ride back to find carefully)

Fair enough. But don't you always need to be on the defensive? Thousands of people out there. Can't read everyones agenda.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

PainfulPLeasures

Reaction score
Safety should always be on everyone's mind when riding , you have to look out for the crew you ride with and accidents can happen in the blink of an eye.. 20kms = dangerously to far ahead.. what if you ended up in a creek bed? Not being dramatic but it is winter out there and like pretty much everyone said..chit happens mang! Hopefully your crew understands and takes a more responsible outlook towards looking out for the rest of the group..and its more fun when everyone's all together anyways... sometimes when your broke down is when your all laughing and the funny chit starts happening.. either way, a tight crew is one that always has each others backs.. its how the sport is meant too be enjoyed!! Cheers:arguebats:

rgashkei

Reaction score
I am always looking back when we are sledding, common practice. Few years ago I was last in a group of three and my chain broke. It was -27C, I had enought time to pull off my chaincase and build a fire before they noticed I was missing, was almost dark.

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree with you we always stop and gather everyone up and then go as in our group theres some that like pinning it and others that go slow but steady. The faster guys always go first and stop every little bit wait for the rest then go again the slower guys know that soon as they catch up they keep going as they can take a break when we get to the alpine when in the riding areas we always go in groups of 2 or 3 as some perfer tree riding and otheres prefer the open meadows where theres less to hit but we always check on each other

Top Bottom