Gps

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would you recommend for a handheld GPS.

Just want one for tracking where I am and how to get back.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garmin Rhino - GPS + 2 way radio. Touch screen works with gloves on.

If you can convince your bud's to buy them, you can keep track of each other also.

Keep it well away from your transciever.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion (IMHO), they all work, but I have always used Garmins. It all depends on how much money you want to spend, the "extra" features, and the battery set-up, but I currently use a GPSMAP 62(ST-with the topo maps loaded). A little larger in size and a few less dollars, but just as robust, is the GPSMAP 78, and it is good too. My ultimate would be a Rhino 650 - in conjuction with a friend with one - for sledding or other activities (hunting), just in case we were separated. The "trex" models work just fine and are less money (Kijiji), but are a little smaller and perhaps not so robust. A very inexpensive choice would be a Bushnell BackTracks, which works great (gave one to my mom) but does not give you a "track" feature. It only indicates how far and in which direction you need to proceed to a point you have manually "marked" (parking lot, mountain pass, significant trial feature) into the unit. What every you use, buy a good quality "holder" for attachment to your machine.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Garmin Rino 650 or 655 only. Once you have one your buddies will as well, to handy not to have.. Could go on and on, check google, the rino is the only one to buy. Don't limit yourself.

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy CRAP!! I'm not lookin to spend $500 here. I just need something to give me some direction in a snow storm. Obviously you get what you pay for but I really dont need all the bells and whistles.

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definatly don't need a frickin camera with it.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy CRAP!! I'm not lookin to spend $500 here. I just need something to give me some direction in a snow storm. Obviously you get what you pay for but I really dont need all the bells and whistles.

Its more than that, the Rino lets you find your stuck/lost riding buddies. Actually saves a lot of time which equates to more time to sled.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The antenna is a big part of this as well. I started out with an etrex (more than 5 years ago) and it would lose the signal in the trees fairly often.
The Rino rarely loses the signal.

Also, the rechargeable lithium battery lasts for days. The etrex used AAs and I would have to check it often, especially when it's really cold.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
etrex is old tecnology in the antenna, so don't go for it. Spend the extra $$$ for a Garmin GPS62 ($300), or at least the GPS 78 ($250), the excellent antennas are worth it. And you get a bread crumb trail on the unit which is easy to follow "out". I use "AA" lithium rechargable batteries in mine, which last a long time.

Last edited:

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You want these bells and whistles, the 650 does not have a camera and can be found online for way less than 500$ but trust me, read the reviews, once you buy one your buddies will as well, happened to me, best thing in my pack. Which part of sledding is cheap? But this thing is awesome.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hands down. the rino is the way to go, if you want black and white screen you can still get the 120 from garmin, or look for a refurb 530 hcx, i see a few on ebay still for sale, has gps,two way radio, works great, easy to use, no problems with the cold, price less when a buddy is stuck and you can instantly find him, would not go back, shop around there a some great deals

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Demon if you would like to check out the rino 650 I have two. I hear ya on the price thing but once you see them in action I guarantee you will want one and everyone in your group. Pm me if ya like as we r in the same area.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
London drugs has an explorist 310 for $139 dollars it comes preloaded with world maps.. it is good enough for what you want. I have had 3 garmins and 2 magellans. Magellans work great. It also comes with vantagepoint so you can do all your calculations using your home computer. Extra high definition maps can be purchased as well as satellite emagery downloaded to this unit.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

etrex would do, but the garmin 62s is fast, lots of memory etc, the rhino 530hcx, rhino 520hcx, and the rhino 650 all are fast, don't lose signal and have lots of support. almost any gps will work for you, but garmin has become the industry standard,

Last edited:

thiels2

Reaction score
Just bought a garmin eTrex Legend hcx at canadian Tire for $125 today has more than enough feautures and has a very easy to use tracking and track back mode also comes with software to do mapping upgrades and other features as well.

Top Bottom