Heads up GPS units and mounts for the G4.

Tuesdayyx

Reaction score
Lets see what people are using for heads up gps systems on the G4. I ran the NS1 for a few years but they are having some compatibility issues on the doos. I have a a small handheld gps and always rely on memory but it is nice to have a gps at a glance. Its like most things once you have it, you see how handy it can be.

Garmin 700I ? Trail tech voyager pro? etc

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trail tech voyager pro is a nice unit, as it has GPS, buddy tracking and communicates with the new Polaris . It does not have SOS feature.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Garmin gps's look better, but the voyager pro has the buddy tracking.

Looking at gps's for my sled too.

Think ill probably go with the voyager pro, just for the track feature.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Montana series like the 700 are generally meant to be handhelds. They have been around a while and have slow processors and low resolution screens. I have a season and a half on the Garmin Tread. Would recommend and would buy again. Lots of features, accessories and versatility if you have use for it on a sxs, enduro, etc. It also does satellite view, but must be pre-loaded if you don't have cell service. The larger screen versions have integrated In-reach.
The buddy tracking of the Trailtech/7S is a significant feature, but reality is, everyone has to have one. I have never seen anyone with a Trailtech mounted on their sled and I virtually never ride with anyone who has Polaris 7S.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bunch of my friends have the Polaris with the screen.

Otherwise ya it wouldn't make sense.

Bradvtown

Reaction score
I've had a montanna 600 loaded with backcountry maps for years and never regretted it. That said I've been looking at the Montanna 700i for the addition of inreach. Some things to keep in mind would be battery life. My 600 will last a full day if it's not too cold out but I wondered with the newer larger screens if the battery life is reduced or maybe they have bigger batteries? As mentioned above the Trailtech would be nice for the tracking feature but everyone needs one. In my group that wouldn't help at all.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had a montanna 600 loaded with backcountry maps for years and never regretted it. That said I've been looking at the Montanna 700i for the addition of inreach. Some things to keep in mind would be battery life. My 600 will last a full day if it's not too cold out but I wondered with the newer larger screens if the battery life is reduced or maybe they have bigger batteries? As mentioned above the Trailtech would be nice for the tracking feature but everyone needs one. In my group that wouldn't help at all.
We were out in december in the b.c cold snap and my Montana 680 worked but buddys 700i would not even turn on, I have read on some other forums that the cold weather performance of the 700 is very poor ( even temps not that far below freezing) so i am waiting for a while and will keep my satphone and 680

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does any one know where has the voyager pro in stock?

I could order off amazon, but would rather buy in store.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
our group has been using the 700i for a couple of years now, some great features some not very good, the display on montana, 700 is not as good as previous montanas, i run it in a powered mount, but when the temp gets down -13:-15 it well not charge in the cradle, and will shut down, pain in the ass, a problem that they say they are fixing with the temp sensor, our other garmin gps keep working, but the ability to communicate with others is great, we use the Inreach everyday, send a message home, or to contact each other, easy to find each other, also, we save alot of previous tracks, so we have a reference if we are exploring we can see where we are in reference to previous rides. this is handy as we can share this between units, via bluetooth. Garmin needs to address some of the shortfalls with the 700I but it is handy to have.i have a small battery bank that is under my dash on my sled, if im stranded, i can plug it in to the montana, tuck it into my jacket and have all the communication i need, i dont need to rely on my sled running to have power, the internal battery last fairly good, depending on how much backlight im using, we run the 700i on our sleds,quads,boats so it get a fair bit of use,

Top Bottom