Got my BC OFF ROAD PLATE !!! $48 well spent (NOT)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
From an insurance guru.....

They (out of province peeps) can buy the coverage but the Machine must be registered in BC, if registered in another jurisdiction, it's (the liability insurance) not available.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for looking into Doug. Guess if I register them in bc I will get charged the tax on the book value of the sled?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I still like the idea that seemed to get little notice:

Give everybody 6 months to register and for those who doo, the taxes will be forgiven. After the six months, it is full steam ahead and full taxes on all ORV's.

If they did that I might even actually register mine. Still wouldn't re-register the one I have that is legally registered under the old system though. I am absolutely not gonna do that and will challenge it if they give me a fine for it.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to court and lose half a day of work so you can save $48? I guess some peoples time isn't worth very much.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go to court and lose half a day of work so you can save $48? I guess some peoples time isn't worth very much.
It's actually only $38, but sometimes standing up for the principle is worth doing.
As with everything else, they are counting on the complacency of people to just roll over and take it.
That is what the thieves in Victoria tried with the HST and now this.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It'll be a whole day for me, and my time is worth just under $40 an hour. It's not about the $38 to re-register. It's about them trying to retroactively make my legally registered sled no longer legal. I'm done bending over for these azzhats. Complacency is how they chip away at our rights one little piece at a time. :rant:

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they did that I might even actually register mine. Still wouldn't re-register the one I have that is legally registered under the old system though. I am absolutely not gonna do that and will challenge it if they give me a fine for it.

I am the same....my sled is already registered under the old system

if no one fights this chit the gov't wins, I will fight also and take a day off work and it will cost me $600+ to do so !!!!

It'll be a whole day for me, and my time is worth just under $40 an hour. It's not about the $38 to re-register. It's about them trying to retroactively make my legally registered sled no longer legal. I'm done bending over for these azzhats. Complacency is how they chip away at our rights one little piece at a time. :rant:

I agee....we need to fight this chit !!!!

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It isn't the 48 bucks. It's the tax collected every time a sled changes ownership. You only pay the gangster sales tax in aberta once on a vehicle and don't have the additional 7 percent added on. That is what everyone is saying is a tax grab.

rsaruk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It isn't the 48 bucks. It's the tax collected every time a sled changes ownership. You only pay the gangster sales tax in aberta once on a vehicle and don't have the additional 7 percent added on. That is what everyone is saying is a tax grab.
That's not what I said was a waste of time fighting. Read back the posts. I was talking about the guy who already had a registration he paid 10 bucks for and wasn't going to pay the 48 and would fight that if he got a ticket. I agree its a ripoff to charge the tax on a used one that was bought private, I can't believe they do that.

sledhead9825

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The BC government has been talking about this for years. So no surprise it has finally happened. Not sure how strongly it will be policed, sending out the RCs to hand out tickets. Much more money to be collected handing out tickets for talking on the phone. In saying that welcome to BC. The Rcs were at Brandywine (Busiest Whistler riding area) 2 years ago, riding around on a couple 600s giving friendly warnings that this was coming. 20 years riding in the same area and never had that yellow sticker or registered a sled in my name. Lucky maybe, or didn't have the staff to police it ? Bare in mind that buying used a used from a dealer you would have paid tax in BC. One of the driving forces behind the collection of sales tax from privately purchased vehicles is from the BC dealers group. They want a even playing field. Its cash and control driven.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The BC government has been talking about this for years. So no surprise it has finally happened. Not sure how strongly it will be policed, sending out the RCs to hand out tickets. Much more money to be collected handing out tickets for talking on the phone. In saying that welcome to BC. The Rcs were at Brandywine (Busiest Whistler riding area) 2 years ago, riding around on a couple 600s giving friendly warnings that this was coming. 20 years riding in the same area and never had that yellow sticker or registered a sled in my name. Lucky maybe, or didn't have the staff to police it ? Bare in mind that buying used a used from a dealer you would have paid tax in BC. One of the driving forces behind the collection of sales tax from privately purchased vehicles is from the BC dealers group. They want a even playing field. Its cash and control driven.
Those dealers pay you gst on yours when you trade it in?

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha, good point. I'm sure it would be "worked" into the trade in value if you asked. Moved back to BC 3yrs ago after being in AB for 15. Had forgotten how much of a thieving rip-off ICBC is. In AB I used to insure and register everything cause it was fairly cheap, now I just get ticked off every time I have to go into one of those state run insurance rip offs.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol those rip off dealers should be remitting the gst when they take a trade. They don't. They want to level the playing field! I spilled my coffee when ì read that. For what the fine is and the odds of getting a ticket registering isn't worth it.

sledhead9825

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kind of correct, GST is a flow through tax. If you don't trade it in, and sell directly to the next retail customer the government collects 0. If its traded in, the government collects the difference between trade in amount and the retailed amount. Example traded in for $10,000 Sold for $11,000 additional sales tax collected on the $1000.00. This is why you get a tax credit trading in the vehicle. This promotes trading into dealers,and puts the collection of the tax into the hands of the dealer who are regularly audited. Also in most dealers they won't let you leave the dealership, whithout License and insurance. Cash and control. The dealer collects on there behalf.
Trading in your vehicle in BC is far more attractive than AB because we get a credit on the PST and the GST.

sledhead9825

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol those rip off dealers should be remitting the gst when they take a trade. They don't. They want to level the playing field! I spilled my coffee when ì read that. For what the fine is and the odds of getting a ticket registering isn't worth it.
They remit on the difference. When its traded in you give the customer a tax credit on the trade amount. The dealer paid GST to the manufacturer on the original purchase.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They remit on the difference. When its traded in you give the customer a tax credit on the trade amount. The dealer paid GST to the manufacturer on the original purchase.
I don't trade in but once I got a quote from the dealer. For example vehicle was 50k and they allowed 20k on the trade but were charging gst on the entire 50k. Find it's better just to sell private, buy cash and run the red and white plates like everyone else in the okanogan. Save 7 percent and get cheaper insurance.

sledhead9825

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't trade in but once I got a quote from the dealer. For example vehicle was 50k and they allowed 20k on the trade but were charging gst on the entire 50k. Find it's better just to sell private, buy cash and run the red and white plates like everyone else in the okanogan. Save 7 percent and get cheaper insurance.
Not sure what the dealer was up to, they should only be charging tax on the difference. I understand what your saying about paying one tax. The problem is insurance companies have a habit of not paying if your not playing by there rules.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A long as you have a primary residence where you register you are playing by the rules regardless of where you spend a great deal of your time.

sicamoose

Reaction score
I hope this is in the right threat but just had some questions RE registration/etc for a RZR in BC.

I bought a USED RZR in the fall of 2014. It was a private sale off of KIJIJI.

Went into an insurance place the other day (Baron Insurance, Vernon), and they said because there was no bill of sale I have to go to a local Public Notary and fill out a form. Basically I have to 'convince/tell' her what I pad for it and she fills out form and Notaries, it.

I paid X dollars for RZR. Lets just say it was $12,500.00. The insurance broker states that I will have to pay $1500.00 in TAXES!!!!

QUESTION - is there ANY way around this?

Option A) don't plate, get liability, pay for fines if ticketed

Option B) lube up, bend over, and pay tax, plate fee, and liability. Maybe 'bend' the truth at the Notary's office?

Option C) if this is even an option, I have in-laws in Red Deer is there anyway to save money and reg in their name and plate with red plates?

I don't mind paying the plate fee and the liability, but to fork out $1500 would kinda suck.

thanks

Simon

Top Bottom