Gorman

AuntWahWah

Reaction score
We have a party of 4 looking for somewhere to ride in the golden area over the next 4 days. After checking the post here for quartz, I see its a waste of time. Anybody have info about Gorman? I've never been there but heard and read about it here. Any info? Directions??

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a party of 4 looking for somewhere to ride in the golden area over the next 4 days. After checking the post here for quartz, I see its a waste of time. Anybody have info about Gorman? I've never been there but heard and read about it here. Any info? Directions??

maybe look at the weather forecast for the next few days, you may change your mind. also check the cac avi site. conditions will change rapidly, layer of hoar frost on all slopes under a foot of snow, with more coming. gorman may not be the place to go to. FYI take it as you will be careful. :beer:

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I would skip Gorman this trip if i was you. I went up on saturday and the place is filled with hidden land mines still. I do recommend it though. Once the snow is good its my favorite place to ride.
Before you go make sure to check the avy report, it is very high avy risk there.
Directions, take the back way out of town toward the kicking hoarse ski hill. Just as you leave town and get over the river, take your first right. Follow the road and stay left when you get to a Y in the road. The drive up to the trail toll booth and up the mountain to the staging area from there.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay away from Gorman unless you want to do some sled repairs. not a good early season adventure, lots of big rocks and if the lake is not totally frozen then it can be a little sketchy. Not a place for beginners, especially early season and just a generally high risk place.

Lack of snow this year is causing some issues, just like last year, hopefully they get some soon otherwise it will be another slow winter. Revy has lots of snow, you might want to consider heading down the road the extra hour.

Pro-Am Chris

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
You don't want to go into Gorman generally until the New Year especially with the lack of snow this year. Gorman is also not a good place to take a newbie if you have any in your group.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

hire a guide, he will get you to the goods and keep you safe.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not a good early season adventure, lots of big rocks and if the lake is not totally frozen then it can be a little sketchy.

No problems with the lake being frozen now. There's only a couple of inches of snow on it so it's frozen solid!

But aside from that the snow is down about 3 feet from where it was even last year when we first rode Gorman on November 28th! My advice would be to stay away until there's been considerable snow fall. I know i will be!

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes stay away from gorman till there is snow.... and let it sit for a bit cause its real avy in many spots..... if ur ever in golden and i can't rember the pub but they have a pic of a avy from the top of the lake..... it took the ice off the lake and pushed it up the other side... kind of open my eyes a bit....

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes stay away from gorman till there is snow.... and let it sit for a bit cause its real avy in many spots..... if ur ever in golden and i can't rember the pub but they have a pic of a avy from the top of the lake..... it took the ice off the lake and pushed it up the other side... kind of open my eyes a bit....

i would also suggest you ride a little more with your eyes open:d

Pro-Am Chris

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
No problems with the lake being frozen now. There's only a couple of inches of snow on it so it's frozen solid!

But aside from that the snow is down about 3 feet from where it was even last year when we first rode Gorman on November 28th! My advice would be to stay away until there's been considerable snow fall. I know i will be!

Last weekend there were guys in Gorman and it was a long blue streak behind the sled lake was not totally frozen yet.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last weekend there were guys in Gorman and it was a long blue streak behind the sled lake was not totally frozen yet.

yep, it never fully freezes well until after xmas, unless we get a decent cold snap with no snow. Any snow it gets on the water surface insulates it from the cold air, it has not been cold enough for the air temp to develop sufficient ice through the existing snow cover IMO. I've seen guys go through lakes in Jan because of this exact scenario, not fun.

Gorman is a deep lake to be fishing your sled out of. Be careful out there.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey thats y i wear a fxr floater suit............. u never know even in the mountains............u could be swiming with the fishs

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It looked pretty frozen when I was there on Sunday. Usually it resembles a big slupree and you could see where earlier sleds were turning it up but like I said it was solid. With very little snow cover there isn't as large of an insulating effect.

That being said I never stopped and drilled a hole or anything. I usually make it a habit to hang out on the lake as there always seems to be water moving through it. There's a couple of springs at the west end and the creek at the east end that should both be avoided.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually make it a habit to hang out on the lake as there always seems to be water moving through it.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

LOL - you got more balls than me brother!! :D Couple years back it was later in the season warmer (April) and I went to stab a small line on the southeast side (up into the trees to the little terrace above the lake). Looked good at surface, no blue, but down about 6" there was free water - going slow on the lake and then hit the gas about 20 ft from the shore, couldn't figure out why I was moving so slow at WOT, looked back to see a jet boat like rooster tail from the sled and realized the track was trenching right through the slush into the water :eek: not a good feeling :D

my riding partner had a good laugh though - said water was shooting a good 70 ft LOL

Seen the south side avalanche a few times too and those pressure waves will force the ice up and crack it, move it, leave big ridges etc etc. She can be a different animal each time you go.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

LOL - you got more balls than me brother!! :D Couple years back it was later in the season warmer (April) and I went to stab a small line on the southeast side (up into the trees to the little terrace above the lake). Looked good at surface, no blue, but down about 6" there was free water - going slow on the lake and then hit the gas about 20 ft from the shore, couldn't figure out why I was moving so slow at WOT, looked back to see a jet boat like rooster tail from the sled and realized the track was trenching right through the slush into the water :eek: not a good feeling :D

my riding partner had a good laugh though - said water was shooting a good 70 ft LOL

Seen the south side avalanche a few times too and those pressure waves will force the ice up and crack it, move it, leave big ridges etc etc. She can be a different animal each time you go.

why do i always miss the good stuff.

GSR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gorman is a wicked zone, but it is our last zone to open. If you have ever been t here in the summer you'd know why!! haha. Very little grass and meadow, mostly boulder city!! AND BIG ONES! Lake is frozen, but I wouldn't stop to check yet...
Lang got punched yesterday by two locals and they said it was boney, but good down low in the trees. Seems to be the trend so far his year.
Quartz and Silent seem a lot more rider friendly right now. Maybe let it snow another time or two.

Top Bottom