Good news for 2013 pro

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't comment on the 2013's, as I haven't checked one over yet. But the only real chain case options that I am aware of are from Avid or Ice Age. I'm thinking that CHEAP may not fit into the 3" mod:)

After looking at it again last week im 99.9 % that the 3 inch will fit with just a driver change, I think lol. If not we will make it fit.

prairie rmk

Reaction score
Does anybody know what kind of belt they are using on the stock belt drive? Looks like it should handle stock hp no problem, but a turbo? I'm guessing that its not the Gates Poly Chain GT Carbon belt that C3 and CMX use.

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After looking at it again last week im 99.9 % that the 3 inch will fit with just a driver change, I think lol. If not we will make it fit.

I hope you're right...my only concern would be adequate space for snow evacuation, as the 3" moves a lot of snow. I trimmed the nubs off the track on my '12 and it made a very noticeable difference in performance and track speed with stock HP...and I would bet that the bulk of the gains are due to more room for snow evacuation.

Does anybody know what kind of belt they are using on the stock belt drive? Looks like it should handle stock hp no problem, but a turbo? I'm guessing that its not the Gates Poly Chain GT Carbon belt that C3 and CMX use.

If the stock belt is high quality (which I would imagine it will be), it should be adequate enough for turbo HP.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How well does a stock Pro turn the 3"? I have one on my M1 and I'll probably be picking up a '14 Pro if this belt drive works out and would like to keep my track but don't want to get heavy into modding. Well I say thaty now but I'm sure it will change haha

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one thing is getting the three to fit, second is havint the power to turn it, there could be your issue if not turboed

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one thing is getting the three to fit, second is havint the power to turn it, there could be your issue if not turboed

i dont think ill be doing another 3" again. both the ones we installed on the etec this season are missing paddles with about 1500km on each. i dont necessarily blame the drivers they cant be any smaller than the idler wheels at the back?

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont think ill be doing another 3" again. both the ones we installed on the etec this season are missing paddles with about 1500km on each. i dont necessarily blame the drivers they cant be any smaller than the idler wheels at the back?

900 miles on mine with no probs , must be a skidoo thing lol. JK

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very true, track speed is a killer i think on the tree inch track... i also lost paddles on both three inch tracks i put on this year and the one sled has the 8 tooth drivers on as well, the camo three inch needs some help in the durabilty.... and our tracks canada is useless in the warrenty deparment....

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have no problem turning my 3" on my pro. If I was to gear the thing down to 19/51 like the etec's then I could probably turn a 4". The pro is so much lighter and agile, it can keep up to the Etec with less horsepower. Something to be said about that. Lighter weight needs less power to perform at similar levels.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sold on 3 inch in general, we ran 2 1100 turbos with a 3 inch this year and one with a 2.5 ce, there was really no difference in performance, granted on heavy sleds so a bit different. If I order a 13 pro and I leaning towards putting the new cat 2.6 power claw on it.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Glassman, the pro has no problem turning a 3"! We hooked up in January with Glassman and crew in Blueriver and he for the most part broke trail into Salmon, 3 to 4ft and up in spots. We were very impressed on how his Pro tractored thru the deep. I'm doing the same upgrade for next season. Higgins.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so your pro being 25 lbs lighter than the etec, what track speeds are you seeing with the three inch, we have found if your not over 45mph your gain is minimal, over the 2.5

even on the 880 pushing over 55mph track speeds it has its hands full

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so your pro being 25 lbs lighter than the etec, what track speeds are you seeing with the three inch, we have found if your not over 45mph your gain is minimal, over the 2.5

even on the 880 pushing over 55mph track speeds it has its hands full

Pretty sure the topic here is good news for 2013? Almost 50 lbs difference in the two machines next season.

The 3" is not, in any way designed for high track speeds. It is a well known fact that they fall apart with high speeds. If, however you prefer technical riding, in the trees and breaking trail into those "hidden" areas with big snow, it it the best option IMHO. Track speed is not as big of a deal as traction in the bush. If you are a hillclimbing maniac, or a meadow muffin, and only know how to hold the throttle pinned and only turn out in one direction, then the 2.5 will be a more logical choice for sure.

NM

Boost It - Fuel your Boost
Reaction score
Pretty sure the topic here is good news for 2013? Almost 50 lbs difference in the two machines next season.

The 3" is not, in any way designed for high track speeds. It is a well known fact that they fall apart with high speeds. If, however you prefer technical riding, in the trees and breaking trail into those "hidden" areas with big snow, it it the best option IMHO. Track speed is not as big of a deal as traction in the bush. If you are a hillclimbing maniac, or a meadow muffin, and only know how to hold the throttle pinned and only turn out in one direction, then the 2.5 will be a more logical choice for sure.
The 3 inch is by far a better track in almost all conditions. The trick is to get the gearing and clutching right.
The high track speeds don't seem to effect the 3 inch tracks on our Yamaha's. We have spun them at over 80 mph for 2 seasons and they still look like new.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
in last two years all three ....3 inch tracks have lost paddles, buddys sled as well lost paddles, their track record is not the best, camo rep seen alot since they came out, 174s been lasting better for some reason, but still not perfect, delaminting from the track

Top Bottom