Goggle tint

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, this topic has pry been beat to death already. But im wondering what the best all around goggle tint is to run in the mountains. Im looking at a set of 509 sinisters but dont know which lens to get. Wondering how the polarized lenses work? I know they cost more money but didnt know if i would be better off using them. Also is there any conditions polarized lenses WONT work in? What lens tint are you people using and what conditions do they work and dont work in?

Sent while not working too hard

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, this topic has pry been beat to death already. But im wondering what the best all around goggle tint is to run in the mountains. Im looking at a set of 509 sinisters but dont know which lens to get. Wondering how the polarized lenses work? I know they cost more money but didnt know if i would be better off using them. Also is there any conditions polarized lenses WONT work in? What lens tint are you people using and what conditions do they work and dont work in?

Sent while not working too hard

I personally stay away from dark grey based lens, as they don't give very good contrast. I prefer high contrast lens, something brown based helps, orange or yellow are really good for low light. I usually run two goggles on any day, one a lighter tint, one a darker tint for changing light conditions.

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out Zeal Optics photo adjusting lenses, They are like transition lenses except goggles :) its what i use

motomike450r

Reaction score
I spoke to an optometrist recently and he suggested going to a shop and trying several on as each persons eyes are a little different how they process light. Definatley take them outside and try looking at snow to find the pair (or pairs) for different light conditions.
For me it is the Smith hi-blue lens in all conditions, just dark enough for bright days and light enough for low light conditions. :cool:

Snorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use blue and yellow. I hate rose colored lenses. I also have a pair of goggles not sure what color they are, but they are a darker type lens that I use for skiing and they are a awesome all condition lens. bright sun, to low light at end of the day,to foggy and snowy. I can great definition in all light with those.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you want just 1 lens for most conditions?

The Yellow lens with Gold finish is my personal choice for an all conditions lens. The yellow helps with contrast in flat light, and the gold finish darkens up the lens a bit to help with the sun. No lens is going to be perfect in all conditions though, but this one is pretty good.

Last edited:

puddle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
509 Sinister polarized smoke. Work great in socked in days and full sun. Always easy on the eyes. I find they work better than rose/blue. They don't scratch or wear off like a mirrored finish.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These threads are always useless. You will get every possible recommendation. FWIW I thought blue was horrible and use Oakley persimmon (orange) in ALL conditions. 509's got what, about 5000 combinations?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These threads are always useless. You will get every possible recommendation. FWIW I thought blue was horrible and use Oakley persimmon (orange) in ALL conditions. 509's got what, about 5000 combinations?

but orange and rose are probably best all around,, and they actualy help in flat light wich is most important

if its sunny you can see I know that much lol but in flat light every bit helps

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 509 aviators the rose and yellow tint as well but I love these goggles! 509 always has a good deal when you buy the helmet and goggle package as well:) hope this helps!

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Agreed. Everyone's eyes are different.

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
real hard to see gauges, (or 2 way screens, or camera, etc), with polarized lenses. For riding there like hi def.

krash

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
image.jpg Have you looked at the new smith goggles

Top Bottom