GDL Drivers licence????

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
I have a Labourer working for me and was wonder with his GDL licence is he allowed to pull a trailer with a 1 ton truck? I have heard a number of rumors and most of them say no trailer pulling with a GDL.

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
I asked google but also have someone telling me that their driving instructor told them they couldn't drive a 1 ton or pull a trailer. Just wanted to clarify this and thought I would see if anyone here would know more than me about it before I call the registries in the morning

sumsupport

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Our transportation auditor said they can't, but I think it's like most transportation questions, if you ask five "experts" you get six different answers. When pushed a little further it came down to "It's not breaking any laws, but do you really want to take that chance with a GDL driver..." To do your due diligence, I would include a copy of the above GDL info in his driver file, and do a driver evaluation on him, you can get the forms off google, and the evaluator doesn't need any qualifications, document training etc. etc.

Spoken like a true safety gal eh! :beer:

Last edited:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I asked google but also have someone telling me that their driving instructor told them they couldn't drive a 1 ton or pull a trailer. Just wanted to clarify this and thought I would see if anyone here would know more than me about it before I call the registries in the morning

Not being able to drive a 1 ton is a bunch of BS and anyone who said that doesn't know what they are talking about.

As far as the trailer no idea, but I did and never had a issue. The only issue might be is if it's company insurance, they might not allow it.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
There you have it....there is no higher authority than cycle...

My daughter is 16, we too are struggling with this. We own an oilfield company and she drives our trucks including a F550. She hasnt pulled any trailers yet since we havent had time for any training but i have called everyone you can think of and cant get a straight answer. GDL or not...its still a class 5 which allows them to drive any class 5 vehicle and includes trailers. This is fact....how it is perceived by whatever random dot or hiway mountie is where it all goes for crap...

What it does affect is your insurance. To add her to our company insurance as a gdl driver was crazy. But we had to list her so stuck between a rock and a hard place. My agent has recommended we list her as a driver for the company trucks but have another vehicle registered in her name for after hours and weekends and non company driving...

What a pain...

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've worked for the same oilfield rental company for the past 3 summers and this summer as well. Just got my GDL off last summer. From day one, had my own 3/4 ton company truck and towed trailers everyday. Only stopped once, and no issue. A class 5 GDL is exactly the same as a regular class 5, except for the demerit points, alcohol level you are allowed to have, and maybe a couple other small things. No restrictions on what you can drive. Can even operate a tractor trailer unit as a learner, under direct supervision.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've worked for the same oilfield rental company for the past 3 summers and this summer as well. Just got my GDL off last summer. From day one, had my own 3/4 ton company truck and towed trailers everyday. Only stopped once, and no issue. A class 5 GDL is exactly the same as a regular class 5, except for the demerit points, alcohol level you are allowed to have, and maybe a couple other small things. No restrictions on what you can drive. Can even operate a tractor trailer unit as a learner, under direct supervision.
Wrong, no learning on a 3 or 1 or anything higher as a gdl. Not even allowed to have air ticket if I remember right.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never heard of this. The one ton thing is complete bull. I know lots of people still on their GDL that drive 1 tons as daily drivers and work vehicles.

The trailer thing i'm not positive but never heard of someone getting a ticket for it, ask your insurance provider is all I'd worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GDL needs some tweaking. I believe that the GDL should extend to a class 1. Have a young guy that cannot progress to a class one because of the GDL. This is not right, limiting his opportunities. Law should extend to a class one GDL; friggin Government can collect twice if they want. My two cents.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We to run into this issue regularly and have discovered that the restriction has nothing to do with 1 ton and pulling a trailer. However they are not permitted to drive commercial equipment so if this 1 ton is a commercial vehicle. theres your answer. sucks for us to could probably get away with it as long as dot is in a good mood

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wrong, no learning on a 3 or 1 or anything higher as a gdl. Not even allowed to have air ticket if I remember right.

Got my Q endorsement (air brakes) put in my license 6 months before I was 18 and got GDL off

Top Bottom