Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
c52fde9255af24101396cf459d30130b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was in your Lynx?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably a silly question, but I'll ask it anyway.
Why do they not make it gear driven, and eliminate the chain entirely.
How do you keep your secondary way up high for rider Ergos, and keep your drive shaft down where your feet can go past it?
I think that’s why there stuck to this long chaincase

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I took my chain case apart to have a peek as I have 496 km on my unit. Regular very fine metal particles in the oil which is better than what I expected after my chain skip at 118 km with 8 turns needed. Of course it does not have Hyvo chain or gears, which ill inquire on this as I had to order replacement parts, the factory replacement parts are Hyvo.

My current 53 tooth lower gear is part number 504153998 the BRP EPC says the part number for my serial number is 504154167. at $ 62.99
The current upper gear is 504153910 BRP EPC says the part number for my serial number is 504154188 at $ 55.99

I cannot identify the chain part number but I will get the one on the BRP EPC 504153759 Drive Chain, 116 Links at $ 259.99

But the problem I have here is I am spending $ 378.97 plus GST and labour to change my chain to what the factory manual says I should currently have in my sled. Is this right. I may call BRP cares and see what there comment to this is. Anyway I will be proactive and just change it, and have to do entire thing.

Did notice that a hose is worn through shield, top layer rubber and the next layer of cords so I am lucky that this never blew. Hopefully BRP has those in stock. Its all apart in my garage and not worth taking to dealer for a $40 hose.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took my chain case apart to have a peek as I have 496 km on my unit. Regular very fine metal particles in the oil which is better than what I expected after my chain skip at 118 km with 8 turns needed.
If you tightened it 8 full turns you are way over tighten it.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you tightened it 8 full turns you are way over tighten it.
Talking to Carter at stoked mountain adventures earlier this season, he had brand new sleds arrive this season needing 5 full turns.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talking to Carter at stoked mountain adventures earlier this season, he had brand new sleds arrive this season needing 5 full turns.
Mine was 8 turns at around 40 km. 6 more at 200. Now it quit stretching and needed only 2 turns since.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that wasn't adjusted properly at the factory then. There is no way the chain should stretch 8 full turns worth of adjustment

8 or 5 turns is insane amount of play. Factory should of adjusted it than PDI should of caught that before it came to the customer.

As a customer you can’t rely on the factory or your dealer you have to be diligent and check it yourself. It sucks I get it we pay a lot of money for these sleds but it is what it is.

Mine was good from PDI adjusted twice and by 500km it was done stretching. Ride with 4 other G5’s similar findings as me. One is closing in on 2700km this season. If the forums was correct he should of gone through 4 chaincases already

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine was 8 turns at around 40 km. 6 more at 200. Now it quit stretching and needed only 2 turns since.
I would put a new chain on if it stretched that much. Pretty cheap insurance vs a potential heli ride.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would put a new chain on if it stretched that much. Pretty cheap insurance vs a potential heli ride.
Should. But Can’t find one. I’m heading to Revi tomorrow for four days of wickedness. Hope it lasts.
I have a hyvo gear set an order but it’s backward till June.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should. But Can’t find one. I’m heading to Revi tomorrow for four days of wickedness. Hope it lasts.
I have a hyvo gear set an order but it’s backward till June.

Just left Revy snow is epic. Enjoy your new sled and that deep pow.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Took my cover off. Removed chain, throughly inspected all components with no issues. Will tighten then confirm that everything is working fine then will reinstall cover and good to go. Have my order in for the proper chain and gears that the sled should have came with, however those won't arrive until end of march. Only small flakes ovserved in oil nothing out of the ordinary. No damage noted on either the chain or the gears

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took my cover off. Removed chain, throughly inspected all components with no issues. Will tighten then confirm that everything is working fine then will reinstall cover and good to go. Have my order in for the proper chain and gears that the sled should have came with, however those won't arrive until end of march. Only small flakes ovserved in oil nothing out of the ordinary. No damage noted on either the chain or the gears

With having zero issues and no sign of excessive wear why are you changing gears and chain? Is the cost coming out of BRP’s wallet? Or yours?

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
likely just being cautious, the supplied components are the wrong parts and there's a couple of guys who disassembled their chain cases, found all was good only to have subsequent failures.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
likely just being cautious, the supplied components are the wrong parts and there's a couple of guys who disassembled their chain cases, found all was good only to have subsequent failures.

agreed, the chains CAN last but its the wrong equipment for the job. I wont be replacing mine on my dime however as BRP is going to have to address this before next season. If we don't get hyvo and a strengthened lower gear they havent done the right thing.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed, the chains CAN last but its the wrong equipment for the job. I wont be replacing mine on my dime however as BRP is going to have to address this before next season. If we don't get hyvo and a strengthened lower gear they havent done the right thing.
replacing my components was a bitter pill to swallow in terms of brp being shady on the whole thing but overall, not towing my sled off the mountain is more important. i likely would have just adopted a wait and see attitude if i were a trail rider or had never experienced the joy of towing a sled back from the furthest reaches of our riding area a couple years ago.
coupla fellas over on snowest have said they received emails stating that there is a specification change on the '24 sleds regarding this issue. i'm guessing that email goes out to people who have snowchecked already but i don't have any further details. hopefully by spec change they mean both hyvo and the coupler.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I ordered the chain and gears and
With having zero issues and no sign of excessive wear why are you changing gears and chain? Is the cost coming out of BRP’s wallet? Or yours?

I did order the gears and chain and am currently on my dime FOR NOW. I will be discussing this with BRP though, and am hoping that I am eventually refunded the cash or a credit. More a piece of mind thing for me. Under $400 and 45 min work.
Like a worn hose I discovered the hose is Half worn through. Part is on back order till April. If I temporarily fix it, the warranty is void for that issue. It's $27 not even worth putting on the truck. I'll patch it all ms replace myself.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What’s wrong with the bottom sprocket? It’s the same since 2021? I’d there a manufacturer defect?

Top Bottom