G5 turbo Gears and chain

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks to me from the photos it can’t handle the 180? I see more broken gears than chains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Or it can’t take any misalignment. It would not take much to move the bearing inside its bore when the bearing fit in the case will expand more than the bearing itself. It’s unfortunately held in place with a circlip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or it can’t take any misalignment. It would not take much to move the bearing inside its bore when the bearing fit in the case will expand more than the bearing itself. It’s unfortunately held in place with a circlip.

could be, adding a couple more grams of meat to it wouldn't hurt. i know weight is always a factor but IMO some items dont need to be shaved down to failure

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
could be, adding a couple more grams of meat to it wouldn't hurt. i know weight is always a factor but IMO some items dont need to be shaved down to failure

I agree, but the same design has been used since at least the 2020 turbo.
I know guys with big miles on their 200+ turbos with no issues.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See attached
For those that don't want to open the pdf. They are acknowledging higher than normal failure rates.

Screenshot_20230303_115718_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think an issue to is guys are worried and tensioning there chains much, more then normal atleast and thats causes it own issues prob why the lower gears are exploding. On the one ambasador vid he tightened the chain and i thought that looked pretty dam tight honestly more then i woulda tightened a chain

QUOTE="Dawizman, post: 3134678, member: 46750"]
For those that don't want to open the pdf. They are acknowledging higher than normal failure rates.

View attachment 266462
[/QUOTE]

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow,
That’s just a letter from BRP advising the dealer that the parts installed do not match the parts fiche.

See the word “overtightning”?

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think an issue to is guys are worried and tensioning there chains much, more then normal atleast and thats causes it own issues prob why the lower gears are exploding. On the one ambasador vid he tightened the chain and i thought that looked pretty dam tight honestly more then i woulda tightened a chain

QUOTE="Dawizman, post: 3134678, member: 46750"]

View attachment 266462
[/QUOTE]
It would be more ideal if there was a proper torque spec on the adjuster.

I have no idea what tight is. I go tight with my torx screwdriver and back it off half a turn to put the pin in. But is my tight an extra turn more than needed? Or maybe I don't need to back off that 1/2.

1000km on my first Doo without issues at far. See what the two gen 5s bring next year.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be interesting to see what changes come to the 2024’s.
That drive shaft is not necessary, innovate yes, and a Excellent idea for racing sleds.
Average Joe? If a person puts 1500km and needs a track changed, IMO it’s a good idea anyway to open up the chaincase to have a look while the track is changed.

Last edited:

shafty85

Reaction score
What is everyone doing on their 24s? My understanding is that the hyvo gears and chain is installed in the 24s but that doesn't deal with the slop in the quick-change drive axle. Are guys installing the TKI fix kit? Going back to 2022 drive axles? What/is there a consensus on this?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would wait and see if there was any updates to the 24 driveshaft. There may of been updates to it over the 23.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to my dealership to order 2 sets of Hyvo gears and chains last Friday and the service manager said to wait. Apparently there's a service bulletin out now on premature wear for the '23's now and a recall is expected according to my dealership. Said it was released Aug. 31st, but parts aren't expected until the end of October.

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to my dealership to order 2 sets of Hyvo gears and chains last Friday and the service manager said to wait. Apparently there's a service bulletin out now on premature wear for the '23's now and a recall is expected according to my dealership. Said it was released Aug. 31st, but parts aren't expected until the end of October.
interesting. i wonder if the recall will only apply to sleds that show premature wear? that would be lame since these sleds have only had one season on them and i'd bet many if not most of the failures were sudden and without much wear prior.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Considering the 23s we’re supposed to have HYVO in the first place… hopefully we all get them… mine looks great after almost 900km but that means nothing… could be a time bomb

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the recall on chain/gears for real? I got a letter from BRP for a possible fuel leak issue but nothing about a chain.

Top Bottom