G5 turbo Gears and chain

Iron_River

Reaction score
This thread is a few days old but I have TKI Gen5 Belt drive in stock, comes with a driveshaft fix. Chaincase fixes are on the way soon! Iron River Powersports.
The Gen5 2 piece driveshaft is looking to be a bit of an issue due to "excessive" tolerances. It walks around and causes excessive wear. Proper tensioning of the chain (or belt drive) is also key as too many people tension improperly.

Iron_River

Reaction score

Only a couple of months old, but people are figuring it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is exactly the issue. Cue all the "proper tension, proper tension, chains are solid" ambassador comments but it comes down to not a strong enough chain. The NA sleds aren't seeing the same explosion rate, I don't believe, as the Turbo sleds... It's like trying to drag race with a diff out of a Ford Ranger when really you need a 9" with a spool.... Blame it on maintenance all you want but at the end of the day you're using the wrong part...
Mid March is back order date for any HD chain parts and I don't know if that's getting pushed back at all....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is exactly the issue. Cue all the "proper tension, proper tension, chains are solid" ambassador comments but it comes down to not a strong enough chain. The NA sleds aren't seeing the same explosion rate, I don't believe, as the Turbo sleds... It's like trying to drag race with a diff out of a Ford Ranger when really you need a 9" with a spool.... Blame it on maintenance all you want but at the end of the day you're using the wrong part...
Mid March is back order date for any HD chain parts and I don't know if that's getting pushed back at all....

your making alot of assumptions on absolutely no data.

what is the "explosion rate" exactly? the 5 you have seen on the internet?

how many turbo vs NA were sold? i dont know either but id bet 10:1 in the mountain segment

i dont think any ambassador has outright said the chain is perfect the way it is. But it will hold up with proper tension until BRP does something about it.

ive ran 250+HP on that same chain

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
'nother chain case bought the farm over on snowest. the chains may hold up well enough but on those sleds with that chain plus the coupler not keeping the bottom sprocket coplanar with the top one and...

Iron_River

Reaction score

how many turbo vs NA were sold? i dont know either but id bet 10:1 in the mountain segment

i dont think any ambassador has outright said the chain is perfect the way it is. But it will hold up with proper tension until BRP does something about it.

You're right, there are assumptions and no I don't have catalogued data. In fact its highly likely nobody does, even BRP. I don't believe they'll do anything about it except silently, very silently, install HYVO or something on all Turbo sleds for 2024. I've talked to a few guys who are lucky enough to get warranty and they're getting HYVO chain/gears to replace the weaker gear/chain set. Yes, maintenance is key, always is, no argument there.
Of all the people I've dealt with this winter over this issue I think about 1/4 are on NA sleds, some are not dedicated Mountain sleds also, who experienced a large amount of chain stretch over the first 100km on the turbo sled but not even half as much stretch on the NA sleds they own. Something does not add up there.
Maybe "explosion rate" was the wrong terminology but no it's not the 5 pictures I've seen on the internet as that makes you the one making assumptions on absolutely no data of who I may or may not be. I am a nobody and will never claim to ever be anybody, but I am not basing it on 5 pictures seen on the interwebs. Feel free to give me a call, I'd be happy to chat and learn about you and vise versa!! :giggle:

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m usually a doo cheerleader but the chains not holding up with proper tension, and it was POS in a NA 800. That’s why we used pack chains in our back packs. Doo made a shady move putting these chains in these sleds. Not sure if there was a shortage of HYVO, (unlikely) or they needed a weak link to get field testing on the more expensive quick change drive shaft. If they intended to do it, the 2024 parts catalog would have also changed would be my guess.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy lost a chain yesterday on his G5T 154. 1800 km with regular tensioning. Had been tensioned the night before the ride that it popped. Other buddy blew his reeds out same ride, same sled.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That must have been 250 seat of the pants HP because those old 13p chains wouldn't survive long behind the old PSI Genisis big bores making just over 200 dyno hp lol

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got a set of Hyvo chain and gears, 49-53 , assumming the XM shaft and the g4/g5 shafts are the same. And yes there for sale .

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a set of Hyvo chain and gears, 49-53 , assumming the XM shaft and the g4/g5 shafts are the same. And yes there for sale .
19-53?
Pretty sure the g4 case is longer than xm case. Meaning the chain will be a couple links short installed in g4 case

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
19-53?
Pretty sure the g4 case is longer than xm case. Meaning the chain will be a couple links short installed in g4 case
And I’m assuming your talking t3 chaincase aswell?

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What Doo 2 stroke is running 250 hp… ?

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old race mod class sled. 12 psi water to air. I’ve never been on a faster sled. Granted it was built to run 90 seconds a day so not really a daily driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Understandable… that’s some serious hp as to get a builder to say honest 250… either it be force, RL or other credible.

I do know for a fact RL on 22-23 Doo is running 90mph+ track speed in any given chute in Revy at 10-12 psi - what hp big D won’t say as it’s just hold on!

These are 175 & 165 ..

That being said you want to see a 23 chaincase running RL ?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My old race mod class sled. 12 psi water to air. I’ve never been on a faster sled. Granted it was built to run 90 seconds a day so not really a daily driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The good old days. My brother used to daily this at 12-14 psi. He kind of had to he was running with turbo yammis back then.

Attachments

• 4C27DE44-E105-40F1-9129-ED6454D130E8.jpeg
    4C27DE44-E105-40F1-9129-ED6454D130E8.jpeg
    356.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 32B1F41E-81CF-422B-8BAD-757BC56532B3.jpeg
    32B1F41E-81CF-422B-8BAD-757BC56532B3.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 105
Top Bottom