G5 turbo Gears and chain

jcjc1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
opened up my chain case after the first, short ride and was surprised at the amount of extremely fine metal particles. could be that’s normal as all the new surfaces initially come in contact under load but I see didn’t that much in my ‘22 or ‘20 sleds.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't that bearing get clamped in place so it can't wobble? Maybe I don't understand how it is held in place when installed

Its just held in place with a circlip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard a couple scenarios this weekend. One G5 chain piled up and took gears out. The other fella ordered a 22T gear from local dealer for 22 turbo doo. Apparently doo doesn’t make a Hi-vo 22t gear, so he was given a non Hi-vo. Not knowing it wasn’t hi-vo, It broke a tooth and cracked the case. Also heard, unconfirmed that some 23s have Hi-vo, and some don’t. Guessing they ran out of hi-vo and ran what was available. If I had a G5, I would be having a looky loo and seeing what was in there. Also making sure track and chain are tight. I can’t imagine a ratcheting track is good for anything in the driveline.

Attachments

• 688EABB7-84F6-474C-90E1-B1C3FFC7436E.png
    688EABB7-84F6-474C-90E1-B1C3FFC7436E.png
    645.1 KB · Views: 155

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, I know you can buy a 22T Hi-vo gear that fits on the Doo, I'm running a Kimpex 22T. I don't think skidoo has a Hi-vo on their sku, or the guy at the counter may have been a little on the not knowing side.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, I know you can buy a 22T Hi-vo gear that fits on the Doo, I'm running a Kimpex 22T. I don't think skidoo has a Hi-vo on their sku, or the guy at the counter may have been a little on the not knowing side.
That’s a big expensive mistake at the parts counter

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s a big expensive mistake at the parts counter
Not sure if they will honour it. They likely woukd have if they did the install. Guess we will see how it turns out. Kinda if a shitty deal with the lack of consistency in something pretty important. Luckily it wasn’t a helicopter ride, as it wasn’t an area close to town.

glassman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a g4 and g5 here. Chains are definitely different. I picked up a replacement chain and sprockets for the g5. My replacement chain is definitely a Hyvo, and they tell me the part numbers are the same for the g4 and g5 gears? WTF? Is it possible that BRP had a non hyvo chain built to work with hyvo gears? I will have to examine them closely when I change them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a g4 and g5 here. Chains are definitely different. I picked up a replacement chain and sprockets for the g5. My replacement chain is definitely a Hyvo, and they tell me the part numbers are the same for the g4 and g5 gears? WTF? Is it possible that BRP had a non hyvo chain built to work with hyvo gears? I will have to examine them closely when I change them out.

pics would be nice.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Riding this weekend in clemina my sled made some strange grind/pop noises for a second thought the track ratcheted or something, most likely was the chain as we turned it 8 turns it was very loose. Hope I didn't damage anythjng. Probably going to pull the chain case cover and have a look.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riding this weekend in clemina my sled made some strange grind/pop noises for a second thought the track ratcheted or something, most likely was the chain as we turned it 8 turns it was very loose. Hope I didn't damage anythjng. Probably going to pull the chain case cover and have a look.
I turned my chain case chain 12 turns total in 120 km. I also tighten my track 2 times. I’m guessing I could tighten my truck one more time next trip and it should be good After that

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best for guys that have small boots. The belt drive will rob a bit more room from the narrowed running bords.

Buddy has Size 12 and belt drive on a G5 no issues… what’s a small boot in your opinion?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy has Size 12 and belt drive on a G5 no issues… what’s a small boot in your opinion?

What BD is he running? The speciality sled BD looks compact, dunno if they make one for the G5 yet.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm all for it only the G5 has much skinnier boards now and the belt is wider than the chain. Some guys ride with their feet up front and some back farther. It is just something to consider before jumping in.

Top Bottom