Reaction score
I will stick this here.

Watch the vid Tom did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a pic of hyvo chain/gears vs silent chain/gears? I've never been able to compare them.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Here is a comparison for reference.
Venom Chains.jpg

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bba4aaa9c230e8e6f6624589480842e6.jpg

Regular chain.

7d3a0d944200a2f15db01277f175a48b.jpg

Hyvo

That gear is not a HYVO gear

ba2317fb09cc696c36cc1e44f5c72e83.jpg

This is a HYVO gear.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would take a wait and see approach.
If there truly is an engineering deficiency or supply chain issue with QA on the parts used and BRP issues a recall, what would they say when they open up your sled and see some back yard fix glued into the shaft to turn a two piece shaft into one piece?

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s already started actually.

Think there’s a reason just about every ambassador has made a clip about chain tension. All of a sudden this year it’s a big thing to check… sorry I’m a doo guy but this screams we cheaped out
Be interesting how it plays out. Tons of sleds out their thrashed on so it will be on videos soon if problem

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would take a wait and see approach.
If there truly is an engineering deficiency or supply chain issue with QA on the parts used and BRP issues a recall, what would they say when they open up your sled and see some back yard fix glued into the shaft to turn a two piece shaft into one piece?

Yep exactly. There is no pandemic of breaking chains and cases. This new driveshaft has been tested to death. There’s always going to be those circumstances that can’t be replicated that may lead to some failures. You can break a chain on an NA by being an a**hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think there’s a reason just about every ambassador has made a clip about chain tension. All of a sudden this year it’s a big thing to check… sorry I’m a doo guy but this screams we cheaped out
Be interesting how it plays out. Tons of sleds out their thrashed on so it will be on videos soon if problem

Those long chains have needed quick tensioning since 2017 after 1-2 rides. They are extremely long and stretch as such. With 180Hp you should certainly be checking it just as frequently. It’s a big thing to check because with extra power it clearly stretches faster and would lead to a failure quicker. It takes 3 seconds to adjust it so just do that.

The factory chain and gears can handle 180hp all day long if tensioned correctly. Heck I ran factory gears on my race sled with 240-250hp and beat it much harder than a mountain sled that’s for sure

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watch the vid I posted that tom from TKI did. Its in the link above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watch the vid I posted that tom from TKI did. Its in the link above.

I did and showing play when not installed in the machine means nothing to me. The play he is talking about could be by design to allow for thermal growth.

500k on mine and have adjusted two clicks on tensioner twice. Just for fun changed oil today and it was super clean. Wouldn't be suprized if like all my other sleds never have to adjust again. I check them along with belt deflection every time I add oil

Also haven't heard the noises or felt the vibration he mentions

Last edited:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only have185 km on mine. Tightened track twice 6 turns each time due to skipping on drivers. Also Tighten the chain 4 turns first time. 3 the next. I did Belt deflection only once.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only have185 km on mine. Tightened track twice 6 turns each time due to skipping on drivers. Also Tighten the chain 4 turns first time. 3 the next. I did Belt deflection only once.

I believe those drivers will be the weak point on the turbo. We shouldn’t be using the same driver we used on the 2009 XP to handle a 3” track and 180hp. Once drivers skip a bit they are never the same

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did and showing play when not installed in the machine means nothing to me. The play he is talking about could be by design to allow for thermal growth.

500k on mine and have adjusted two clicks on tensioner twice. Just for fun changed oil today and it was super clean. Wouldn't be suprized if like all my other sleds never have to adjust again. I check them along with belt deflection every time I add oil

Also haven't heard the noises or felt the vibration he mentions

It should mean something, sloppy spline drives are not a good thing. It ment something to that machinist who builds machinery parts for a living.
Think of when things get tightened like the track and the chain, now you have a spline drive that cocked. I really hope thermal growth doesn’t affect that adapter, that would make it worse.
Just an awareness thing.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It should mean something, sloppy spline drives are not a good thing. It ment something to that machinist who builds machinery parts for a living.
Think of when things get tightened like the track and the chain, now you have a spline drive that cocked. I really hope thermal growth doesn’t affect that adapter, that would make it worse.
Just an awareness thing.

Doesn't that bearing get clamped in place so it can't wobble? Maybe I don't understand how it is held in place when installed

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard a couple scenarios this weekend. One G5 chain piled up and took gears out. The other fella ordered a 22T gear from local dealer for 22 turbo doo. Apparently doo doesn’t make a Hi-vo 22t gear, so he was given a non Hi-vo. Not knowing it wasn’t hi-vo, It broke a tooth and cracked the case. Also heard, unconfirmed that some 23s have Hi-vo, and some don’t. Guessing they ran out of hi-vo and ran what was available. If I had a G5, I would be having a looky loo and seeing what was in there. Also making sure track and chain are tight. I can’t imagine a ratcheting track is good for anything in the driveline.

Top Bottom