From Pro to T3, anyone do the switch?

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so wrong. there are guys that started riding these new sleds that could walk circles around any of us and they have been riding for maybe a year or two. the sleds are so easy to ride you progress that much fasater. get out of the past.
I agree! No different than the wood golf clubs in the old days etc! Welcome to technology!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree! No different than the wood golf clubs in the old days etc! Welcome to technology!
*warning! thread drift!*

I have a buddy that I golf with that up until just a few years ago played with an old set of Ben Hogan woods. the club heads were tiny, barely bigger than the ball itself. he had new irons, but man he could wail a golf ball with those old Hogan woods. he could outdrive any of us, and he weighs around 130 lbs soaking wet. skinny little fawk, but the sweetest swing.

*back to your regularly scheduled programming.*

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
All the new sleds are the best they have ever been. And yes a novice rider can take them where they should not. Meadow bashing and straight up claimbs the sled can take a lot of the credit.

But there is also something about a skilled new school rider teaching a new rider. If I am teaching someone new to the sport, in two years they should be way a head of myself fifteen years ago with two years mountain experience. I am going to fast track them to today's standards and save them having to ride a Powder Extreme 600 and then break all my bad habits to get to where I am today. If I jump on an old Vertical Edge and go heads up in the trees against a novice rider with no experience on a T3 I will make him look like a fool.

It is not the old sleds that make us experienced guys what we are, and it is not the new sleds that make the new guys with talent good. It is the experienced riders teaching the new guys what took us years to perfect in a short period of time. These new guys then start learning and figuring out other things on their own and the sport progresses even farther and faster. That is how the human race got to where we are.

It is not for me to judge a new rider on what chassis they never had the pleasure to get rid of or talk down to them about taking a new sled out and being better than they should.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
So...........For your first ride..... Make sure you are on something old and $%^&tty..... so you never want to ride again. Thats the WHOLE purpose of them doing what they are doing...... the t motion.. and the T3... Like kuster says... "its makes a begginer rider look like an intermediate rider... and an advanced rider look like a pro rider" Sounds like someone is stuck in a 10 year finance agreement on a rev.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy fawk you guys, he's not saying ride old crappy sleds. you guys are jumping on the bandwagon for no reason, other than you want to pile on him for questioning the obvious superiority of the "new" gear that you are all riding. Seems like lots of guys want to justify how awesome they think they are, or you're just pissed cuz he has more experience. Either way - Don't worry, you're just as awesome as everyone one else in the parking lot.

It doesn't take any skill to ride any of the new sleds, so you really don't learn anything about body positioning etc. It still affects the sled, but the inputs are micro-scale to how much it was "back when". On my 1978 TnT, getting off the back of the sled meant literally...leaning your ass 2' off the back to get the front up. On the new sleds, that same phrase means moving your feet 6" back on the boards. That comes from experience and having ridden a bunch of sleds, not from watching a video of burandt and becoming a parking lot polly. someone is "amazing" because they can make their sled climb or sidehill exactly how its designed and engineered to. wow. Guess that makes me an amazing mathematician because I can turn on my calculator?

Norona mentioned that new riders hear about the old days and how good the old guys are because of all the stuff they've done. Well the old guys have to listen to all these new riders talk about how "advanced" they are because of their "new " tech that somehow makes them an "amazing" rider because it allows them to learn faster. So that argument is that technology can replace experience/talent basically. Cars are better now too, they handle better, tires are better, the systems are more sophisticated. So you would be willing to agree then that a 16 yr old girl who just got her license last week, is as good of a driver as anyone who has had years of experience on the road or is a talented road racer?

Yeah, just because your mile long deep lug track CAN climb that hill, doesn't mean you SHOULD. So you can sidehill? Who wants to watch you do it at 3 mph? BORING. Skills can be learned faster than the experience and judgement necessary to apply them. That experience on how to make subtle adjustments and/or inputs to gain a noticeable and tangible output on handling (or any other aspect of riding), is what a lot of riders are missing on the hill today, and I think that's what Lund was getting at.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy fawk you guys, he's not saying ride old crappy sleds. you guys are jumping on the bandwagon for no reason, other than you want to pile on him for questioning the obvious superiority of the "new" gear that you are all riding. Seems like lots of guys want to justify how awesome they think they are, or you're just pissed cuz he has more experience. Either way - Don't worry, you're just as awesome as everyone one else in the parking lot.

It doesn't take any skill to ride any of the new sleds, so you really don't learn anything about body positioning etc. It still affects the sled, but the inputs are micro-scale to how much it was "back when". On my 1978 TnT, getting off the back of the sled meant literally...leaning your ass 2' off the back to get the front up. On the new sleds, that same phrase means moving your feet 6" back on the boards. That comes from experience and having ridden a bunch of sleds, not from watching a video of burandt and becoming a parking lot polly. someone is "amazing" because they can make their sled climb or sidehill exactly how its designed and engineered to. wow. Guess that makes me an amazing mathematician because I can turn on my calculator?

Norona mentioned that new riders hear about the old days and how good the old guys are because of all the stuff they've done. Well the old guys have to listen to all these new riders talk about how "advanced" they are because of their "new " tech that somehow makes them an "amazing" rider because it allows them to learn faster. So that argument is that technology can replace experience/talent basically. Cars are better now too, they handle better, tires are better, the systems are more sophisticated. So you would be willing to agree then that a 16 yr old girl who just got her license last week, is as good of a driver as anyone who has had years of experience on the road or is a talented road racer?

Yeah, just because your mile long deep lug track CAN climb that hill, doesn't mean you SHOULD. So you can sidehill? Who wants to watch you do it at 3 mph? BORING. Skills can be learned faster than the experience and judgement necessary to apply them. That experience on how to make subtle adjustments and/or inputs to gain a noticeable and tangible output on handling (or any other aspect of riding), is what a lot of riders are missing on the hill today, and I think that's what Lund was getting at.

Well said. And don't underestimate the old guys too as they have experience that the young superstars can learn from. Not always riding techniques but sometimes emergency repairs, retrievals techniques, tips on getting unstuck or just how to play nice : )

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one of the biggest differences I see in the new and old riders is so many of the younger cool kids seem to have a burning need to talk about their super skills and abilities and how if only everyone watched them, we'd all be so much better off. Alternatively i've been out a lot with some of the "older" guys whose skills are quite evident to see , instead of listen to. Their skill levels may be equal or close but so many young guys seem to be able to minimize with their mouth any eny that could result from their skills. :)

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
holy fawk you guys, he's not saying ride old crappy sleds. You guys are jumping on the bandwagon for no reason, other than you want to pile on him for questioning the obvious superiority of the "new" gear that you are all riding. Seems like lots of guys want to justify how awesome they think they are, or you're just pissed cuz he has more experience. Either way - don't worry, you're just as awesome as everyone one else in the parking lot.

It doesn't take any skill to ride any of the new sleds, so you really don't learn anything about body positioning etc. It still affects the sled, but the inputs are micro-scale to how much it was "back when". On my 1978 tnt, getting off the back of the sled meant literally...leaning your ass 2' off the back to get the front up. On the new sleds, that same phrase means moving your feet 6" back on the boards. That comes from experience and having ridden a bunch of sleds, not from watching a video of burandt and becoming a parking lot polly. Someone is "amazing" because they can make their sled climb or sidehill exactly how its designed and engineered to. Wow. Guess that makes me an amazing mathematician because i can turn on my calculator?

Yeah, just because your mile long deep lug track can climb that hill, doesn't mean you should. So you can sidehill? Who wants to watch you do it at 3 mph? Boring. Skills can be learned faster than the experience and judgement necessary to apply them. That experience on how to make subtle adjustments and/or inputs to gain a noticeable and tangible output on handling (or any other aspect of riding), is what a lot of riders are missing on the hill today, and i think that's what lund was getting at.

thank you

NorthernSledder

Reaction score
Made the switch from 2013 pro to 2014 skidoo this year and have never been happier.
Took a solid 3 days to get completely used to the doo. But after that it has been a dream.
My riding group isnt into making big pokes up shoots, we mostly ride in the tight trees and deep power. Technical riding on the skidoo has been much easier to control in the trees. I find myself being less tired come the end of the day. The skidoo is more of an effortless ride. More of a quality build than the pro. Pay the premium but get a sled you can rely on..

If your into climbing shoots then maybe a pro may be right for you.. as it is lighter it may be able to slightly out climb the skidoo.. even though i disagree. But for riding in the tight trees and deep powder a skidoo is the only way to go.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I felt the same way, less tired, more energy left on the T3, which was a big factor for me.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Made the switch from 2013 pro to 2014 skidoo this year and have never been happier.
Took a solid 3 days to get completely used to the doo. But after that it has been a dream.
My riding group isnt into making big pokes up shoots, we mostly ride in the tight trees and deep power. Technical riding on the skidoo has been much easier to control in the trees. I find myself being less tired come the end of the day. The skidoo is more of an effortless ride. More of a quality build than the pro. Pay the premium but get a sled you can rely on..

If your into climbing shoots then maybe a pro may be right for you.. as it is lighter it may be able to slightly out climb the skidoo.. even though i disagree. But for riding in the tight trees and deep powder a skidoo is the only way to go.

I agree that the Doo takes less effort to ride but then you hit a wall of what you can do in the trees. The Pro will go farther in the nasty beat up terrain and the Doo will feed back way too much to keep the line. Most guys don't ride in the trees and will never know. I am not the best rider compared to the young guys I often ride with but the Pro at least gives me the ability to ride with them and not just watch from a flat clearing.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that the Doo takes less effort to ride but then you hit a wall of what you can do in the trees. The Pro will go farther in the nasty beat up terrain and the Doo will feed back way too much to keep the line. Most guys don't ride in the trees and will never know. I am not the best rider compared to the young guys I often ride with but the Pro at least gives me the ability to ride with them and not just watch from a flat clearing.

I felt the opposite of this. Fighting the Pro, too much feed back. The T3 for me was way easier to control and went where I wanted it to go. I think it's the rider position, more over the front on the T3 that made things easier.

just goes to show that everyone is different.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429554128.928438.jpg

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its been proven and constantly demonstrated on this forum that one of Doo's best qualities is the mouth of most of the Doo owners. Makes sense tho, such a strong defensive reaction to any criticism, especially since the competition has been moving forward while Doo attempts to keep up with revolutionary announcements like a longer track and new T-motion joints, would kinda create a little self doubt. LOL.

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I find the same thing. Too much feed back on the doo.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't been on S&M that long and also haven't posted thousands of post like a lot of keyboard desk jockey's on here. But i have concluded, from THIS forum that many so called sledders on here are like teenage girls, still wearing their trainer bra, so Maxwell then must be queen bee, sorry man, prove is in the pudding, LOL. Funny how some blame the equipment over their physical fitness. You guy's need to let go and let loose. Leave the trainer bra at home, it feels SOOO good to rip it on your own skills, it really does.
They are all great sleds imo but to idolize one, e.g. DOO over the other's...WOW, that's like asking for more of mama's milk.

Top Bottom