From Pro to T3, anyone do the switch?

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is my first year sledding, I picked up a '14 Pro in the fall for a reasonable price and rode 1300km or so on it. I was instantly in love with sledding.

I enjoyed the lightness of the machine and how crisp it sidehilled through powder and kept a nice edge. I did find I was wrestling with it a bit to get it to lean over in firmer snow and found the shocks to be pretty stiff, even when loosened up.

Recently, I tried a friends '15 T3 for a good hour or more, at first it felt weird and tippy, but I loved the smoothness and power. After about 20-30 mins, I started to get use to the tmotion and tippiness, damn, what a machine. I just felt so much more comfortable on it and found it way easier to ride and way less effort in similar snow conditions to lean over. I prefered the T3 riding position more, I found I was more in front of the machine when side hilling compared to feeling back more on the Pro.

I know the T3 is a longer track so apples to oranges to the 155" Pro, but I found the T3 to stay on top of the snow better, not trench near as bad and give me a bit more time to pick a line and boy does it climb like crazy.

One thing that the T3 does that kind of annoys me is washes out the track when your on a nice sidehill sometimes, where the pro would cut that nice edge. I realize you can't have both worlds with the tmotion and flex edge however.

I really like my Pro but I made the jump and got on a T3 now and I think I'm hooked and picked one up the other day. Did anyone else make this switch? I'd like to hear your thoughts?

Please don't turn this into the regular BS. I just want to hear from guys who made the switch and how they compared the two.

Im really excited to see how the new Axys Pro with 3" paddle compares. It's too bad there is no demo days, I'd love to try one out next year, who knows I might be doing another switch. One thing the pro definately wins on is the weight and man do you notice that when you have the heavier T3 stuck, trying to roll it over myself is night and day difference.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I have been riding for over 20 years and ride a 13 Pro currently. I think the main thing is finding the sled that suits your riding style and going with that. I have rode the XM's and just do not get along with that chassis yet i have friends that ride them and love them.

If it is your first year of riding i would say to find a sled you like and stick with it for a few years to learn how to ride better and develop your skills as a rider rather than trying to do that with the sled.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I agree, for me at this point, the T3 is working much better. In a few years who knows where I'll be.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO, a sled like the T3 or any other like it, Poo or Cat are not good entry level or learning sled's as it does it all ALMOST for you.
More and more in the last couple of season's i have seen in area's like Revy, people riding these sled's with very poor sledding skill's. In all honesty doing so, your not doing your self a favor in learning the techniques.
I always say it requires atleast 2-3 sled jump's and almost the same amount of time in years to acquire the BASIC skill's for a competent backcountry sledder.
It's in my opinion even though a sled like the T3 is appealing, to ride a sled that will force you to work and learn, before getting into a sled that will compliment your skill's. A sled like the T3 or any like it don't compliment your skill if you don't have them but just make the riding easier and don't allow the real learning process that in the long run will make you a better rider.
When ever i go to places like Revy, Sicamous or where there is lots of rider's you easily can pick out poor or less experienced rider's by simply...their body positioning on the sled and how they negotiate basic moves. Like struggling on a turn on hard pack, struggling on getting unstuck. A good rider becomes ONE with the sled and the sled is a basic extension of his body. Snow condition, weight of sled and track length will have little effect on a good rider's ability to go, he adapts and doesn't use the sled as a crutch.
Forum's like this is also a fine example of new rider's struggling for answer's that basically require more seat time. In question's like side hilling and laying the sled on one side easier then other side. All good question's that in reality require seat time to learn. no quick magical answer or adjustment to a machine.

Anyhow, good luck with your new sled, they are a nice sled i'm sure you will enjoy it.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can not base anything on other people's opinions. If you like the way the sled works for you that is the bottom line. You will know next year if you made the right choice or not. If not then I'm sure Polaris will be more than willing to sell you an AXYS.

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode a 13 pro for 2 yrs and switched to a T3 163" this yr. At first I hated the T-MOTION but after a few rides really started to enjoy it. I love the T3 and am glad I switched, Just my :twocents:. Everyone is different and found side hilling was just different. Once you learn how to ride the machine it washes out less and less. The E-tec has more power and I went with the raptor shocks which makes a huge difference. I'm stuck on Doo's for now!

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO, a sled like the T3 or any other like it, Poo or Cat are not good entry level or learning sled's as it does it all ALMOST for you.
More and more in the last couple of season's i have seen in area's like Revy, people riding these sled's with very poor sledding skill's. In all honesty doing so, your not doing your self a favor in learning the techniques.
I always say it requires atleast 2-3 sled jump's and almost the same amount of time in years to acquire the BASIC skill's for a competent backcountry sledder.
It's in my opinion even though a sled like the T3 is appealing, to ride a sled that will force you to work and learn, before getting into a sled that will compliment your skill's. A sled like the T3 or any like it don't compliment your skill if you don't have them but just make the riding easier and don't allow the real learning process that in the long run will make you a better rider.
When ever i go to places like Revy, Sicamous or where there is lots of rider's you easily can pick out poor or less experienced rider's by simply...their body positioning on the sled and how they negotiate basic moves. Like struggling on a turn on hard pack, struggling on getting unstuck. A good rider becomes ONE with the sled and the sled is a basic extension of his body. Snow condition, weight of sled and track length will have little effect on a good rider's ability to go, he adapts and doesn't use the sled as a crutch.
Forum's like this is also a fine example of new rider's struggling for answer's that basically require more seat time. In question's like side hilling and laying the sled on one side easier then other side. All good question's that in reality require seat time to learn. no quick magical answer or adjustment to a machine.

Anyhow, good luck with your new sled, they are a nice sled i'm sure you will enjoy it.

Sorry this makes zero sense. You're saying riding a good newer sled is counter productive? Why would you ride a lesser equipped sled to make it harder to learn?

To me you want to be on whatever works best for you and for me that's a T3.

Also judging someone's riding by years is irrelevant. I've done around 15 mountain trips this year. Some guys don't even ride that much in 3 years. Like you said it comes down to seat time.

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
I had a 2012 pro rmk loved it, bought a new 2013 skidoo xm rode it 2400 k never could get use to it I am now back on my 2012 pro with quite a few mods and would never go back to a skidoo, it was nice to have that power but couldn't get over the fact it would always try go up on a side hill if you like the Polaris then stick with a Polaris if you like the new t3 then go that way at the end of the day it's a sticker on the side of the sled who gives a cap what it says as long as your having fun.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry this makes zero sense. You're saying riding a good newer sled is counter productive? Why would you ride a lesser equipped sled to make it harder to learn?

Also judging someone's riding by years is irrelevant. I've done around 15 mountain trips this year. Some guys don't even ride that much in 3 years. Like you said it comes down to seat time.

Lol I was going to say the same thing I think he wants you to go buy a 1997 Indy fan.

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I made a switch, going to try the axys out. We'll see what happens, i've rode doo for a while now, tried a buddies pro this year, felt good, had to relearn to ride my doo I have been on for 3 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com

You are exactly right, older riders will always talk about the old days and how they are so good these days because of the riding they have done on harder to ride machines. New riders experience this in every sport these days. The equipment is so good it allows you to learn faster and have more fun and that is what it is all about, it is why new riders are out riding and this particular rider is sitting at the bottom criticing others and how they ride. Get out and have fun, no matter which sled your on! Congrats on the T3, they are wicked and fun!

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The equipment is so good it allows you to learn faster and have more fun and that is what it is all about, it is why new riders are out riding and this particular rider is sitting at the bottom criticing others and how they ride.
It does seem like that guy is a bit of an unhappy old grump. Wants everyone to suffer the same pain he did.

sled obsessed

Reaction score

the above is total BS. It seems the big 3 mountian sleds all have different strengths, they are also all fun to ride. I also find the m8000 to be a great all around sled. IMO it is the middle ground between the pro and doo, and it is a hoot to ride.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are exactly right, older riders will always talk about the old days and how they are so good these days because of the riding they have done on harder to ride machines. New riders experience this in every sport these days. The equipment is so good it allows you to learn faster and have more fun and that is what it is all about, it is why new riders are out riding and this particular rider is sitting at the bottom criticing others and how they ride. Get out and have fun, no matter which sled your on! Congrats on the T3, they are wicked and fun!

LOL...well now; I remember riding my 1972 T'NT 440 in 6 feet of powder at -40 in a white out climbing just about straight up... blah, blah, blah and I tell you ya had to know how to ride back then. :D

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I won't be as pouty as Lund. I grew up riding the old iron and teaching myself how to ride. Any of these new sleds Rock an you can tell when the young guys jump on them and get a few pointers how easy it is for them! Wish I learned on this new iron. When I see young guys after a season of riding outride guys who have been in the hills for 25 years and have bad habits from old iron its pretty amazing! Back to the question at hand. I don't have a T3 but comparing my Pro to my XM's I like the XM better. Pro still an excellent sled. For me though the XM is easier to ride.

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will second what Lund said.

It's really no surprise to see that most on here disagree with him, especially some of the S&M 'celebritys'.

I think the only thing that should have been added to what Lund said, is that 90% of the riders out there don't really need any measurable amount of skill at all. Doing wheelies in a meadow or 'climbing' and open hill really doesn't take much, especially now with the power and track options offered from factory.

If you don't agree with what he said, then you are very likely the example of what he described. And that is OK, just know that seat time will get you farther then anything else, regardless of the brand, or color of your sweet wrap.

As for the OP, the Skidoo is likely a better machine for you. It's a better machine for most actually, especially compared to a Pro. If you find the XP/XM/T3 washes out, spend the money on the SKINZ front end, should cure that problem.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I expected this type of response, i wasn't trying to be an ass or be negative on his choice but just voicing a very real observation i see regularly. But people's ego tend to find way's to interpret a post in a negative way.
Especially if a certain brand might be mentioned, there is a 99.99% guaranteed certain individual's will poop. Those guy's can be read like a book on their replies. Wonder if the response from them would had been the same..OR any, if it was a thread about "From Pro to Cat or Pro to Yamaha??? HHHMMM doubtful.

Anyhow, in contrary to popular BRP celebrities belief...relying less on a sled's techno gadget's and relying more on learnt skill's will alway give you a huge advantage. Combine the two and other rider's will envy you and your techno advanced sled and things you can do with it.
Develop your own style and your going to find your self needing less gadget aid's and adapting from model to model, make to make will come with ease.

Its all about having fun out there but there is a certain amount of something nice that goes with the ability to rip a sled in the mountain's that other's can't, without the crutch aid's and gadget's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom