Ford 6.0litre owner Caution.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i wouldn't normally post on my tales of woe but i figured maybe there are a few Ford 6.0litre owners out there that might appreciate this tale of caution.

So as title said and you might had figured out i drive an 04 Ford with the 6.0litre, i know lucky me..LOL
My resent trip to Valemount last week was AWESOME with EPIC snow and flawless sled performance but not so much in truck performance. The truck on the way up to Val. lost all power and essentially putted its way in. Hard starting when cold to no starting when hot.
So my best bud haul my arse around in his trailer all week and the POS sat at the lodge.
Time to go home my son came out with a trailer and truck and hauled the sleds back while i limp my way home and ya i made it but barely. 7 1/2 hrs later.

WTF happened to the 6.0litre, i got cheap and the last oil change i used a Baldwin oil filter from NAPA. Well guess what, it broke apart sending plastic fragments in to the high pressure system blowing through the HPOP oil screen, taking out the IPR and the pump it self.

Now $2500 into it in parts only and loosing some sled time, lesson learned. 6.0litre Fords need OEM filters ONLY.
I will post pics of the job hopefully tonight, nearly 10hrs to get into it just for the HPOP pump.

Stay tuned

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So sad ! Napa won't stand behind there parts at all as far as warranty is concerned . I stopped using them years ago.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ever since I was a Finning partsman and sold OEM products I have always used oem products in our trucks and cars. I buy them by the case and get a better deal. Matter of fact just did a oil and filter change on my son's Tundra and used a Toyota filter

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baldwin filters are usually pretty good. I know all the Cat traction motors we used used building rig components came with Baldwin air filters.

Now I typed this they had Donaldson filters.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Baldwin in everything also. Started using it in my truck and actually did read a few post on the Powerstroke Diesel forum about engine filters related issues with the 6.0litre.
But hey, i ignored it thinking i have been using them with no issues.....well till now.
I guess it could had been a bad filter but seriously it did take out the engine and from what i have read it not uncommon with aftermarket filters in the Powerstrokes.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe in the last 17 years since your 04 was built there isn't a after market filter that works. Even by that time frame you would think it wouldn't be a financial interest for the oem to continue manufacturing them. I would think either a bad filter or something took place during the re and re. Not try to discredit you or your experience but I'm not sure where the plastic would have come from. The 6L had some issues no doubt, but they didn't usually surface unless the truck was turned up.

I'm thinking something must have been in the filter because unless I'm mistaken there should be no plastic in the filter itself or any of the oil components.

Used Baldwin in many industrial applications, in fact there was a manufacturer the recommended them. That being said I use Donaldson in everything,

Last edited:

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow that sucks
I started using OEM filters about 10 years ago after a coworker asked me why I would cheap out on such important part only to save pennies.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know Baldwin is a big company but I'd be rattling that tree. I have used Baldwins for years and no issues. I'd be comin in hot buddy they would probably buy me a new truck to get me off there ass if it was a filter failure. We use Baldwins on multi million dollar compressor packages and have yet to have a bad experience. Now Fram orange **** thats a different story complete garbage. Ironically Fram Ultra is one of the best filters you can buy if they make it for your application. ( self confessed filter nerd)

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In virtually all my engines I run filters from the dealers, it's just easier then making sure it's the right one. The only exception is running Fleetguard in a few, funny enough some people think they are garbage filters. Baldwin makes good filters though. Not to be a dick but I don't there is a worse pickup diesel engine ever made then the 6.0 and honestly who knows if it was actually the filter or not.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ever since I was a Finning partsman and sold OEM products I have always used oem products in our trucks and cars. I buy them by the case and get a better deal. Matter of fact just did a oil and filter change on my son's Tundra and used a Toyota filter

Ditto. I only use OEM on our entire fleet of rental construction equipment. Cat, Deere, Hitachi, Volvo, they all get their OEM filters because I know they're consistent quality and I have no doubts with them. My work truck only gets Motorcraft filters too. Call me fussy but its how I operate. A downed piece of equipment and a p!ssed off customer is not even remotely worth the savings from a cheaper filter.

If I had to use an aftermarket filter, Donaldson would be my choice.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the sideways pictures, in the first pic. is the filter and i'm holding the portion that came apart. It is attached (bonded) to the pleated portion of the filter normally. I did not take a picture of it but i can if anyone interested, there is also a spring and valve that fell out of the filter when i pulled it out of the filter housing. The center of the filter is also collapsed. There is also ribs inside the cap i'm holding that are missing, thus plastic pieces gone through.
JQXY6903.jpg
In the second picture if you are familiar with the Powerstroke you would know that the oil flows from the filter directly into the oil cooler then into the HPOP sump which is located underneath the cooler. The picture shows the HPOP filter screen in the sump, notice the hole. Like something tore through the filter and got pulled into the HPOP.
YCQT4505.jpg
In the third picture is the IPR that regulates the HPOP pressures. Notice the end. The oil goes from sump through screen shown above to HPOP pump to IPR.
The missing plastic is essentially jammed in the IPR valve and pushed part of the end out.

GZCG4648.jpg

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You actually got a Baldwin Filter from Napa? Interesting as my closest Napa is Napa or Wix only. I’ve been using Baldwin on our fleet fir over 10 years, trucks, generators, pumps etc and no issues except fuel filters on Cat C15 and C18. This fussy engines will only work properly with OEM Cat fuel filters.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You actually got a Baldwin Filter from Napa? Interesting as my closest Napa is Napa or Wix only. I’ve been using Baldwin on our fleet fir over 10 years, trucks, generators, pumps etc and no issues except fuel filters on Cat C15 and C18. This fussy engines will only work properly with OEM Cat fuel filters.

I have used Baldwin on numerous application and never an issue but like i said on the Powerstroke forum there are plenty of warnings about aftermarket filters and catastrophic engine damage to the Powerstrokes. I also thought NO WAY till now.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It might had been Lordco, not sure.

Top Bottom