Flipping the axles on a 78 28' camper trailer

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My new (old) trailer has only about 8 inches of ground clearance, and it's old so I don't want to drag it more than necessary. It is a tandem axle 28' bumper pull trailer. I've seen lots of axles flipped on leaf spring suspension, but mine has the rocker-arm type thing (torsion bar?) Can i flip with that thing?

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes you can, however a couple things you want to make sure that if it has shocks or springs that they are relocated as well, as my parents did the same thing with a fifth wheel and there was issues with the shock mounts and it wore the tires in a short time. so make sure you get some one who
is skilled, so it will be a trouble free modification. Usually the older trailers are
less of an issue.... good luck

oh ya....make sure ur tires are good and the hubs are greased. seen a guy lose his entire wheel. not good.....

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Torsion axles cannot be flipped only leaf springs

rv-trailer-axle%20flipping.gif

It looks like this when the tires are off? (leaf spring)

WheelsOff-viewofsprings.jpg

or like this? (torsion)

I think you trailer may be too old for torsion if it has them the only way to raise is be adding steel blocks between the spring perches and the frame but you cannot go to high....because under the right circumstances they can twist or if you slam the brakes hard enough or catch a good rut it can spit them out

trailrider

Reaction score
Does anyone know a shop that will flip axles, I would like to get my fifthwheel done but do not want to do it myself ???? Thanks

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
3 tires wearing good curb side rear wore little more than the rest had all the wheel bearings out today repacked and checked the brakes everything good think it just from draggin and bit on tight turns

pwdrhnd

Reaction score
has anybody saw or done a 3 or 4 link type setup with air bags, you should have good ride height and then deflate at the campsite so no extra steps were needed. I've been tossing this idea around for a while now, but no camper so no need.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can put "weld in" spacers between the torsion bar and the frame. We did the same thing on our sled trailer. I think they were a 2x6 rec tubling. Allen Dale did it for us from new. Not hard to do, if U wanted to go overkill U could weld up a 2x8-10rec Box and weld it in place so U would have x-members to help with side load's, plus would take some flex out of the trailer.

Some of the new style torsion you can adjust ride height, but not enough for what U want I would think.

Top Bottom