first ride 09 xpx

Terra Alps Racing inc.

Reaction score
nice pics bhowes

dave was thinking, I could lend you a billit ski head to try for your big bore to see if it would help your rpm issues? I only build the 860 85mm cast piston not sure what piston you run? 85 or 86mm.
let me know or call.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
still all stock except can has about 700 k on machine would luv to try big bore kit but not this year not enough weekends left and bike shows up on may 2 ya ya i know it is a yammi street bike and not a spyder but i outgrew training wheels over 45 years ago

keep in touch and pm me some pricing i dont work in july or august and spend a fair amount of time in the valley golfing might be persueded to leave my sled with you guys over the summer for some ahhh tweaking LOL

thanks for the comments and i have looked at turbo lots over 14 years and this year something snaped in my head and i said wtf have to try climb that

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 09 xp with 600miles on it my suspension seems fine although its a 154,so far my issues are my track is rubbing on one side,just notice on the last weekend trip,my handlebar riser has a small crack in it(put it on its side 1 but its never been rolled),and my seeat is tearing right wear the 50th is embroidered on th seat.Mine pulls great at 8100rpm after my clickers put on 4.My only other biotch is why hey put such a long snow flapp on,sucks when backing up.Is the track rubb a warrenty thing you think?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seat tear: warrantee (hopefully).
Handlebar riser: they will call abuse....buy aftermarket...stronger and nicer anyways.
Track rubbing: 5 minutes to reset track tension. Mine was all wonky out of the box too.
Long snowflap: cut it on the crease.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok doo fans i have a question
bought the mountain magic vent kit and i was wondering
should try to cut as much plastic as you can or just cheese hole behind the vent griles w/ a hole saw

thanks in advance guys

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok doo fans i have a question
bought the mountain magic vent kit and i was wondering
should try to cut as much plastic as you can or just cheese hole behind the vent griles w/ a hole saw

thanks in advance guys

I cut it same shape as vent but left a bar in the middle. Took about an hour and looks great easy to cut just used a utility knife and made a few passes. I thought the cheese hole thing would leave too much plastic (less cooling?)

Saw one at the sled show that was cheese hole and I didn't think it looked as good.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first time I installed the Mountain Magic kit, I maximized the airflow, but found that it took a little bit more rigidity out of the panels, so when I had the opportunity to install it a second time (long story), I just used a holesaw kit and put different sized holes behind the vents. I don't have any problems with hot belts, but I also have a 20 tooth top gear, 25mm set screws in the primary, and a 160-290 primary spring. I have removed all foam as well. I put many holes in my belt guard and tool pouch to maximize heat escape too.

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
The first time I installed the Mountain Magic kit, I maximized the airflow, but found that it took a little bit more rigidity out of the panels, so when I had the opportunity to install it a second time (long story), I just used a holesaw kit and put different sized holes behind the vents. I don't have any problems with hot belts, but I also have a 20 tooth top gear, 25mm set screws in the primary, and a 160-290 primary spring. I have removed all foam as well. I put many holes in my belt guard and tool pouch to maximize heat escape too.

good idea on the belt gaurd back to the garage

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for the rear suspension, the only way to fix the sag problem is to buy the upgrade kit from brp part #860000404, you get a new pair of rails, front shock, rear shock revalve kit and all harware( 609.99 retail) or try a new rear skid system like a racers edge kit, timbersled, or ez ride...
good luck and rip er up man...oops, just saw yu have a 163, that kit wont work but you can make the kit if you go into a doo shop and order the parts off a 2010.
I'm riding a 2010 and had a 08 and 09, and the rear suspension is night and day better.....

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for the rear suspension, the only way to fix the sag problem is to buy the upgrade kit from brp part #860000404, you get a new pair of rails, front shock, rear shock revalve kit and all harware( 609.99 retail) or try a new rear skid system like a racers edge kit, timbersled, or ez ride...
good luck and rip er up man....

With all due respect - shouldn't BRP be supplying the ugrade kit? Sounds like its a poor design from factory causing the sag and they obviously know how to fix it because they are offering an upgrade kit.....

If you bought a new car and it only came with 11" tires and in order to get full gear ratio out of the transmission you need to buy the 16" "Tire Upgrade Kit", wouldn't you be a little PO'd? $12K+ for a sled, I would hope that no "upgrades" are required, since its expected that you are buying the best sled right out of the box, not something that you need to throw another $1000 at to fix problems with poor design.

I would hope that my dealer/area rep would be talking to BRP about that one and seeing what we could work out........especially when the guy from the shop is admitting the suspension is far better on the newer sleds.....just sayin'.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With all due respect - shouldn't BRP be supplying the ugrade kit? Sounds like its a poor design from factory causing the sag and they obviously know how to fix it because they are offering an upgrade kit.....

If you bought a new car and it only came with 11" tires and in order to get full gear ratio out of the transmission you need to buy the 16" "Tire Upgrade Kit", wouldn't you be a little PO'd? $12K+ for a sled, I would hope that no "upgrades" are required, since its expected that you are buying the best sled right out of the box, not something that you need to throw another $1000 at to fix problems with poor design.

I would hope that my dealer/area rep would be talking to BRP about that one and seeing what we could work out........especially when the guy from the shop is admitting the suspension is far better on the newer sleds.....just sayin'.

I hear ya man, I've had all 3 years so I know how everybody feels, ....because I hear it every day :eek::eek:

I would tell you what I think about the situation(perhaps over some cold beers some day after sledding:beer::d:beer::d), but I'm not touching that topic, I'm just trying to suggest a fix to make your day better in the mountians.....
Every year the sleds get better, it's all about R&D, being a dealer employee, I dont want to tell you the hell I've gone through with situations like this, I rember suzuki motocross bikes, in 1997 the rm 250's rear shock valving was so bad it was basically unrideable without getting it reavalved ( $500), I was a hair away from being a quadrapalgic because of that steaming pile of crap, same goes for the 1997 cr 250, with the stock suspension it was deadly, their entire rece team was out for the season by may.

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems like i been dooooing r&d for doo for 10 years o wait i have LOL
any way were no 2010 sleds around last year when we were trying to resolve the issues but thanks for that
have come up with my own solutions that didnt need a1000 upgrade to a new 14 k sled

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya man, I've had all 3 years so I know how everybody feels, ....because I hear it every day :eek::eek:

I would tell you what I think about the situation(perhaps over some cold beers some day after sledding:beer::d:beer::d), but I'm not touching that topic, I'm just trying to suggest a fix to make your day better in the mountians.....
Every year the sleds get better, it's all about R&D, being a dealer employee, I dont want to tell you the hell I've gone through with situations like this, I rember suzuki motocross bikes, in 1997 the rm 250's rear shock valving was so bad it was basically unrideable without getting it reavalved ( $500), I was a hair away from being a quadrapalgic because of that steaming pile of crap, same goes for the 1997 cr 250, with the stock suspension it was deadly, their entire rece team was out for the season by may.

Good to hear that you've already heard it :D . I'll buy ya that beer sometime. :)

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems like i been dooooing r&d for doo for 10 years o wait i have LOL
any way were no 2010 sleds around last year when we were trying to resolve the issues but thanks for that
have come up with my own solutions that didnt need a1000 upgrade to a new 14 k sled

What did you end up doing, just heavy springs and a new shock?

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Same SAGGING problem.. Will the springs from an 2010 fit the 09?? That seems to be the biggest issue. My 16 year old only 140lbs plus gear. He is bottoming out regularly with the tension set at highest position.
Had this problem last year, Doo said it was the shock. Factory the shock is pressurized to 40psi and they told me it should be at 300psi. Pulled and recharged shock twice. Didn't help. Although, I can get that shock out pretty quick now. Thanks BRP!!

bhowes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What did you end up doing, just heavy springs and a new shock?

Hey overkill how are you still have lots of excess stuff kicking around maybe time to repost my garage sale items
anyways heavy springs mxzx shocks still have brand new hpg (X) take offs for sale relocated spring guides and if i get get a good enough look ay a 2010 will probably try to relocate pivot points
will try smittys drop brackets after xmas and drop front down 7/8" as dave b suggested have it just about dialed in have one more combo i want to try
bit secert for now but if it works i will share it to every body have one of the sait cnc instructors helping me out for now

CHEERS and happy sledding

Top Bottom