FALLOUT: Avalanche-Turbo March 13,2010

234blair

Reaction score

Red Mtn Riders

Reaction score
The RCMP have advised that “If evidence to support a charge under the Criminal Code is obtained, a report will be forwarded to Crown Counsel recommending criminal charges."

The full press release can be read here Search and recovery effort concluded, RCMP Major Crimes Unit assigned to investigate incident

Do you think anyone will be criminally charged? If so, what do you think the charge will be?

Who would they charge? I have to go along with the fact that everybody on the site was there by free will.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can be held criminally responsible....on the other hand our justice system is flawed and I don't have much confidence left in it. I would not be surprised to see charges laid, I would be very surprised and quite frankly scared if they prosecute. Just laying charges alone opens up the doors to civil action, I think it would be irresponsible in this situation.

No one was forced to be there.

Just my 2 cents.

The RCMP have advised that “If evidence to support a charge under the Criminal Code is obtained, a report will be forwarded to Crown Counsel recommending criminal charges."

The full press release can be read here Search and recovery effort concluded, RCMP Major Crimes Unit assigned to investigate incident

Do you think anyone will be criminally charged? If so, what do you think the charge will be?

buck50

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone can be held criminally responsible....on the other hand our justice system is flawed and I don't have much confidence left in it. I would not be surprised to see charges laid, I would be very surprised and quite frankly scared if they prosecute. Just laying charges alone opens up the doors to civil action, I think it would be irresponsible in this situation.

No one was forced to be there.

Just my 2 cents.
i would agree with that 100%

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
There has been another avy W of Revy this afternoon, S&R and CMH have responded, one fatality, no other details. Size 4.
Media will have a hay day with this.
I think you idiots who continue to lay blame and fight on the internet should STFU.

Captain-sno

Reaction score

The statement by the police is a factual one and can be said at any accident scene. If a house burns down due to an electrical short, the police could make such a statement. The early rumors (factual or not) give the police enough reason to investigate, and with a death more reason to investigate. Simply that...Investigate. "IF" evidence to "support" a charge under the Criminal Code is "obtained" a very broad blanket statement!

We should welcome an investigation, I believe it will help with public perception.

(after posting this, I read Powder Puffs post......SHEEP DIP....)

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has been another avy W of Revy this afternoon, S&R and CMH have responded, one fatality, no other details. Size 4.
Media will have a hay day with this.
I think you idiots who continue to lay blame and fight on the internet should STFU.

thanks Powder Puff,,,, agree 100%

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
This is a place to put your thoughts about the conditions, the event, snowmobiles etc....however there are some rules.
  1. No swearing.
  2. No personal attacks/slander/threats etc.
  3. If your commenting try and have your facts right.
  4. If you comment then you must accept that others will want to respond to that comment.
  5. Try not to take those comments as a personal attack.
  6. Remember that not all sledders agree/disagree with riding in the mountains when the risk is elevated, please attempt not to put all Alberta and British Columbia sledders into one group.
    • No attacking the Moderators for "doing their job"

Those who deviate from the above list may find their posts deleted or we may have to ban you.

*** Comments made on this thread or site do not reflect the views the Moderators or of snowandmud.com ***

Rules once again guys play nice or it will be shut down

Everyone is entitled to their opinions personal attacks will not be tolerated

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope this thread can be shut down on sunday as monday tues are for days of rest and all other days are for HEALLING.

Javlin101

Reaction score
I do not ride sleds & know nothing of back country riding but after reading about the last 2 AVY in the past week comment only as a outsider of the sport.

I feel most of the people involved were well equipped, experinced & knowledgeable in the sport they are involved in.
They take risks as any extreme sport people get invloved in. This risk is assest by these riders & they make judgements on the dangers they are exposing themselves to. Many choose not to ride the area that weekend due to warnings issued. This dose not make the people involved stupid, careless, or rednecks. They assest the risk, hopefully a calculated one, & went out to enjoy the sport they love. Unfourtunetly for them the risk they took turned tragic. Happens all the time in dangerous sports of all kinds.

There are comments from both ends of the scale about what happened from defending the sport to what the hell were these people thinking. The 2 gentlemen that died were taking a risk they knew was there & lost simple as that. If they would have died in a traffic accident on the way home from the weekend nothing would have been said.

Hopefully the outcome on this tragic situation results in better assesment by individuals particapating in this sport.

My sympathy goes out to those families effect by this event.

Hangfire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.hngfiretraining.com
"Somewhere in the original thread someone had mentioned that Ozone Dave was charging $25 admission... is this fact or just an unsubstantiated rumor?"

there was no charge being up there, the $20 trail fee was just for grooming.

Captain-sno

Reaction score
"Somewhere in the original thread someone had mentioned that Ozone Dave was charging $25 admission... is this fact or just an unsubstantiated rumor?"

there was no charge being up there, the $20 trail fee was just for grooming.

I am a member of the Revelstoke club but I am in no way a spokesperson for the club, my reply is the way I understand it and may be in error.

There was no admission fee to the BIS. The club had a 15 dollar trail fee up until a month or more ago, and raised it to a modest $18.00. The club has permission from the government to charge up to $25.00. They did charge 20.00 as of the Saturday to cover the wages of the people that helped out to make sure parking ect was under control. Many of them were there for 17 hours. (Im sure most of them put in many many more hours than they ever get paid for in the course of a season...for the enjoyment of us all) In speaking with Powder Puff, the fee will remain at 20.00 for the remainder of this season. The website shows this fee.

To my Knowlege, the Club does not have anything what so ever to do with the BIS, and in no way did any fees get collected for the BIS.

So in short (after all that) I believe it's a false rumor.

(again, these statement are "my" opinion only and may be subject to error)

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ARGHHHHH. ARGHHHHHH. ARGHHHHHHHH.

Ok. I promised myself that I wasn't going to post on this issue. I feel horrible for the family and friends of the victims of both slides. One small error in judgement can lead to tragic consequences for all involved. One more voice wasn't required other than to say condolences.

I don't want this to sound like an "I told you do" or "I would have done better". I was not there so i cannot put myself in the position of those involved and what they did or did not do.

But..........I just got back from New York and Toronto on business. The slides made the news there, and the commentary both in the media and among "regular" folk out there is not flattering to us backcountry users. I was in a meeting on Wednesday where this came up. Approx 20 latte lapping, couch potato azzole New Yorkers and TO idiots came to the conclusion that Western Canadians were just one step evolved from oragutangs, I snapped.

I think I may have said something to the effect that last summer, 36 Torontonians drowned in the Muskokas alone. Combination of not wearing lifejackets, alcohol and general stupidity. I might have added in my anger that maybe karma is a bitch and just catching up. Not cool, but my blood was boiling.

But if backcountry users out here don't clean up there act - I don't know what is going to happen. For goodness sake - the last news I read is that a guy is up at Eagles without a beacon??!! That is unexcusable even in the best of conditions.

These latte sipping, granola crunchers is what is driving the political process know-a-days. Your average TO suburbanite is the vote the Libs and the Cons are chasing - not us. They don't understand us, and all they see is the Lib dominated media screaming how much these rescues cost, etc. I bet they could have 500 drownings next year in Ont, and that wouldn't raise an eyebrow on the national adgenda. 3 deaths out here due to avalanches is too much and too high profile. Maybe it is all those helicopters and avalanche dogs and the fact that our sled are "spewing carbon dioxide" that is like crack cocaine to a news reporter........

I for one would welcome insurance, liscening and some sort of avalanche course being mandatory. Not just for us but all backcountry users. It is not just sled technology but skis, climbing equipment etc that is all getting sorts all users into places that they should not be for their experience levels. But because of the "green" and "global warming" movement we are going to be at the forefront of any restrictions on backcountry usr and any related legislation.

Sorry for the rant. I just couldn't keep it in......

Greg

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's it in a nutshell......well, a big nutshell! :d

It no longer matters what we say or think! We let it get out of our hands, and it's gonna cost us! :(

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Perhaps we have now reached the point where all back country users should be charged for a back country pass and in order to hold that pass you must have basic back country survival & first-aid skills and if you are a winter user a qualified avalanche training program.

Billy Boy:cool:

recguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DO WE STOP DRIVING WHEN IT SNOWS OUT OR WHEN THE ROADS ARE ICY?? dO WE NEED SPECIAL LICENCES FOR THAT??? EDUCATION AND COMMON SENCE ARE/IS THE BEST TRAINING AND ALWAYS WILL BE.

MAYBE WE SHOULD CHARGE ALL SLEDDERS DRIVING UP TO REVY, VALE, MCBRIDE B.R ETC JUST TO MAKE SURE THAT WHEN THE NEXT AVY COMES DOWN SOMEONE IS PAID TO HELP.

WHERE DO WE STOP?

BLAINE.M

Reaction score
I agree that education and comon sense are the key. I have been sledding for alot of years and there are always stand out moments where you see ignorance. Comon sense seems to be created from a combination of education, experience, caring, and fear. I try to make it a point to ask people about what they are doing when I see them riding unsaftely. I clearly remember a ride at quartz creek where my brother and I had just rode the trail in and went into the cabin to warm up. We had taken part of our suits off and a lady approached us and asked us what those things with the flashing lights were strapped to the front of us. We explained to her what they were for and how they worked with the other avalanche tools. She listenned intently and then when back to a couple other women and they chatted about it for a while. A few minutes later she came back over with her husband and his two riding buddies and asked us to show him our avy transevers, (they were not aware of what they were or there use). The three men, who turned out to be lawyers from calgary,had rented sleds in calgary and rode in with there wives, ( whom were hanging out at the cabin).
So I guess my point is everybody in our sport needs to take a roll in being educated and educating others. You know so dont be afraid to point things out to people and share your knowledge. Dont sit on the hump at the bottom of the hill where the avalanches stop to watch. Always have an exit plan.
My condolences to those families that have lost somebody in any of the back country tragities.

Top Bottom