FALLOUT: Avalanche-Turbo March 13,2010

kbxsrx

Reaction score
Please feel free to distribute this message on forums, to the media, etc. If you want a pdf copy to distribute send me an email at susie.rainsberry@comcast.net

It’s time to honor the heros.
Written by Susie Rainsberry
March 15, 2010

It’s been several days now since the tragic avalanche at Turbo Hill. The latest reports are that two are deceased and three are still hospitalized. The media is also reporting that there were 200 snowmobilers at Turbo at the time of the slide. The avalanche is reported to have been up to 150 meters wide and 10 meters deep. That, my friends, is a BIG avalanche!

I’d like to put some perspective on this – a snowmobiler’s perspective. Apparently no one in the media is a snowmobiler or is concerned about taking the time to gather the facts – not just the bad, but the good as well. And there is good to be heard in this story. If you ask a snowmobiler – they’d be able to tell you what that is. But either the media isn’t asking, or has heard it and doesn’t feel that the facts are newsworthy.

However, I feel these facts are the MOST newsworthy topic of this entire tragedy.

Saturday afternoon, following the close of the events for the annual Big Iron Shootout, a large group of snowmobilers headed to Turbo Bowl to make a run at the hill. As the riders lined up at the bottom of the hill, the mass of spectators parked their sleds and prepared to enjoy the show. As one of the sleds turned out towards the top, the hillside gave way. Thundering down the mountain it came – taking sleds and riders with it. This powerful act of nature happens in a split second. There is no time to react.

The time to react is as soon as it stops. And react – with speed and knowledge – in the midst of chaos – is what those sledders did. There were no typical first responders to this catastrophe in the immediate moments following the avalanche. Only snowmobilers. Those same snowmobilers that the media is painting with a broad stroke as crazy, ignorant, thrill-seekers.

As a back country snowmobiler myself, I can tell you that ignorant is not a word that I would use to describe those survivors. I would call them heroes! And justly so. In the midst of what may have been the most terrifying minutes of their lives, they turned their avalanche beacons to search, they got out their probes and their shovels and they started rescue protocols IMMEDIATELY – likely while in a state of shock. They dug out those that were buried, they triaged the injured, they administered first aid, they built fires to keep them warm until the helicopters arrived. These people were heroic!! Without their quick and educated responses, many more people would have died.

I am angered that the media is so eager to report this story that they are being so disgraceful to the victims and survivors. These people need support and compassion. They do not need to be stereotyped and degraded in the media or by anyone else. Shame on you!! Didn’t your mother teach you better manners than that?

I’m not done though – there is way more information about snowmobilers in respect to the Big Iron Shootout and Revelstoke that the media hasn’t covered yet. While they gleefully report that this is an unsanctioned (I’ll get to that in a moment) event drew 200 sledders (despite the grave warnings from the avalanche center), what they aren’t telling you is that there are likely double that number of snowmobilers who DIDN’T attend this year’s event – because of the conditions. Snowmobilers who DID heed the warnings.

As I was reading the snowmobiling forums and Facebook on Saturday evening, the same story continued to repeat itself – people concerned about friends who generally attend the BIS, those friends checking in and saying they didn’t go this year, or they were in the area but avoided Turbo Bowl because of the warnings and the conditions they were already aware of. You see, back country snowmobilers are often in the back country two or more days a week and already have first hand insight to the conditions.

Regarding the word being used in almost every story – unsanctioned. It is true that there is no sanctioning organization for this event. Not the town of Revelstoke nor the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club. However, just because it’s not sanctioned does not mean that it is illegal.

Snowmobilers often gather in large groups to ride with friends who are generally dispersed all over Canada and the United States. I personally rode with a group of 30 riders at an “unsanctioned” event in Wyoming. Oops! I also rode at another “unsanctioned” event, ummm, better make that two, here in Oregon. Rest assured, I am not a criminal nor are any of the snowmobilers that I know.

The internet keeps the snowmobiling community connected. There are 1,000s of unsanctioned events that simply start by someone saying, “hey – who wants to ride this weekend?” Next thing ya know, word spreads about how much fun everyone had and it snowballs from there (pun intended). They grow into these annual events…”same date next year?”

So, here’s what happens next – the date is set. Motel rooms are reserved. Trucks and sleds are fueled. Vacation time is requested. Then individuals, families and social groups all head into a remote mountain town. They buy. They buy. They buy a lot!! They spend money – because they can.

It is with great sadness that I have to dispel the myth that mountain snowmobilers are a bunch of rednecks. All you really need to do is add up the costs to outfit an individual – much less an entire family – with a sled and the proper safety gear. Since this article is really targeted at those individuals who are not mountain sledders, I will point out that everything – got that?…EVERYTHING, on your person and on your sled is part and parcel of your survival gear. From your gloves, to your coat, to the sunglasses in your backpack. Trying to save a dime in buying a coat is really not advised, when that coat may be the only thing protecting you from the elements if you have to stay overnight. With all that said, here’s a run down of estimated costs of the primary accessories needed to sled in the back country.

• Sled $6,000-$14,000 USD
• Clothes (including base, mid and outer layers – top & bottom) $800-$1,200 USD
• Boots/gloves/helmet $245-$800 USD
• Backpack (non-avy) $60-$120 USD
• Backpack (avy) $1,000-$1,200 USD
• Body armor (tek vest, knee pads, etc) $60-$300 USD
• Beacon, probe, shovel $250-$400 USD

This doesn’t include a lot of items, such as matches, radios, compass, fire starter, flashlight, and the list goes on, and the costs add up. It would be GREATLY appreciated if the media would STOP perpetuating the myths that sledders are ignorant, beer-swilling, couch-potatoes. Because it’s simply not true.

The fact is that mountain sledders do not fit a stereotypical mold. They come from all areas of the business world…from CEOs to millworkers. They have families and they are single. They are old and they are young. They are world-class athletes and they are physically handicapped. They survive corporate down-sizing, cancer, divorces, etc….just like everyone else.

The thing that binds us together is our great love for the back country in the winter. We are modern day adventurers. We want to get out there – in the mountains. We want to explore and play and wonder at the beauty. We love the snow! When it covers the trees, when it flies up in our faces, when it gives us a playground of vast proportions. That is when we are in heaven. That is when our souls glow.

We are not anything that the media will have tried to make us out to be in the last couple of days. We are so much more. It’s truly a pity that the media isn’t interested in shining any light on the truth.

The truth is - the Turbo Bowl avy survivors are HEROS. We in the snowmobiling communities – far and wide – are praying for the full recovery of those injured, in body and in spirit. And finally, with great compassion and sympathy we extend our heartfelt condolences to the families of those who perished.

I wrote this and I am Susie Rainsberry, Oregon resident, back-country snowmobiler. I provide free and complete liberty for others to share and disperse this message. The time has come to stop the slandering of good individuals just because they ride snowmobiles.

sorry- just noticed it is already on here. A great read nontheless.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
once you have your avy training you have to use it everytime you go riding. Parking in a terrain trap or in an avy slide path will only get you injured or worse.
yes a ton of peeps that day did a bang-up job saving lives, but if you have the knowledge about terrain traps and slide paths (which judging by the organized rescue effort you did) you should have been parked somewhere besides where you were. would have been alot less carnage.
I am not just spouting off, I live in the mountains and ride 6000 + km a year, have 4 avy courses and a first response course. SAR member and have had to recover bodies from avy's and many injured from the backcountry.
We as sledders need to make smarter choices in some cases to save our own butts or as stated by the govt they will start to do it for us. Already there are some reg's in place that are making it difficult for clubs in B.C.

Captain-sno

Reaction score
I just heard on the news (770 in Calgary) that the BC RCMP have put together a special 10 Member team to (Quote) "investigate what happened in Revelstoke this past weekend" (end quote)

find the story here:

Last edited:

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love how the media is saying that snowmobile groups are bragging, that there was only 2 fatalities. They are doing what they do best, stirring the pot. I'm sure there is no bragging, but some people maybe feeling pretty lucky.

Hearing on the news now that charges may be laid. Seriously!!!Who will be charged? and with what. No one was forced against their will to be there...either as a spectator or a participant. And what of Ozone Dave....is he to be the sacraficial lamb in all of this? Can we expect a gallows on main street Revy?

A sad turn of events for sure. Will it keep me out of the backcountry? Not likely. Any of us that spend any amount of time out here know the risks, and hopefully equip and prepare themselves for the un-imaginable. The press is having a hey-day with this. The tragig events in Crowsnest Pass last year didn't even get this much airtime.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just heard on the news (770 in Calgary) that the BC RCMP have put together a special 10 Member team to (Quote) "investigate what happened in Revelstoke this past weekend" (end quote)

find the story here:

Only 10? (that's sarcasm BTW) Sounds like a government job to me. What a joke.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one simple question...something that has bothered me for the last 48 hours.

Why when 8 die on a tragic day in Fernie does a community gather together and mourn with what seemed the public and media behind them...yet this tragic event has gain a seemingly blood thirsty movement to punish or prosecute organizers, parents, sledders etc?

What is going on here? :confused:

This same thought has crossed my mind as well and I'm pretty sure I have an answer. So your a reporter for a provincial TV station and you have to quickly, not accurately, put a story together for the 11:00pm news the same day that the tragedy took place. You're in Vancouver, hundreds of miles from Revelstoke. You don't know anyone who is attending the event so nobody to call for accurate info. The only option you have to gather info is the internet. So you Google "Big Iron Shootout". What comes up? Ozone Dave doing the extreme close up stating how it "takes Guts" to take part in the BIS. Click on the next clip and there's the Dude crackin a beer with high powered sleds screamin up the hill in the background. (I'm using those 2 examples because that's what was shown on CTV)Okay so now you have clips from previous events, have drawn an inaccurate conclusion of what the event is about, but no info on the tragedy. You need some dirt on sledding tragedies so you Google Fernie 8. What do you see? Memorial after memorial. Tears from friends and families. Now you make the following conclusion. The BIS is a bunch of BEER SWILLING YAHOOS carelessly rippin up the forest. And as for Fernie, well that was simply a sad tragic event. Just a group of buddies out for a Sunday ride and were in the wrong place at the wrong time.(In my mind, same as the BIS) Story complete...totally inaccurate and lacking of current content but enough to splash on the 11pm news.
As for Ozone Dave not commenting about the event, I'd say that's very smart on his part. This is definitely a case of "anything and everything you say can be used against you in a court of law". Go into hiding. Get some legal advice then make a statement when you have all your ducks in a row. He was simply too devastated by the occurrence to comment at the time.

beeonaplug

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.highcountrytrailrides.ca.
I am thinking the RCMP are under pressure to lay charges of some sort to someone to set a example to all. . What a cowardly move, pressured by the gov.. They are only using this as a stepping stone to gain votes by passing foolish bills that appease the environmentalists. Bills that will eventually shut the back country down. Now we are suspected criminals for taking our families on a day of sledding in the back country. Or we could be hunted down by police for informally inviting a bunch of sledders to a fun ride. If this becomes the case then shame on our gov. I hope it doesn’t!
Our snowmobile federation is here to fight for us and they are doing a good job of it. We need to support them and our clubs more than ever now.
We as snowmobilers (most of us) are on the right track as far as becoming educated, trained, equipped as the rescue effort immediately after the slide in this case was amazingly heroic, quik, and effective. Only because of a lot of well trained people. If this same scenario would of occurred two or three years ago the out come could have been a lot different and even more tragic due to less trained people. In my opinion every back country sledder should have at least avy training and wear the proper equipment. If I had to choose between the two, shutting down the back country every time the avy report is high, or have mandatory training, I’d choose the training. I hope we don’t see a bunch of rules come out of this.

Alberta Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No longer in Alberta... Moved to Toronto!
a buddy of mine whos girlfriend works for Ozone just called me and said that the rcmp and media are at his store in the mall looking for Ozone right now.. like commone guys ozone doesnt have anything to do with mother nature! lay off the guy its not HIS FAULT!!

He may not be responsible for the tragedy but he should be responsible enough to answer some questions from the RCMP!!!! Time to man up and answer questions... I don't blame him for not wanting to talk to the media but eventually he will HAVE to talk to the RCMP! It would also REALLY help his cause if he chatted with the media but the wrong choice of words could get him into BIG trouble! And we all know how well he chooses his words in public... :rolleyes:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
This is a place to put your thoughts about the conditions, the event, snowmobiles etc....however there are some rules.
  1. No swearing.
  2. No personal attacks/slander/threats etc.
  3. If your commenting try and have your facts right.
  4. If you comment then you must accept that others will want to respond to that comment.
  5. Try not to take those comments as a personal attack.
  6. Remember that not all sledders agree/disagree with riding in the mountains when the risk is elevated, please attempt not to put all Alberta and British Columbia sledders into one group.
    • No attacking the Moderators for "doing their job"

Those who deviate from the above list may find their posts deleted or we may have to ban you.

*** Comments made on this thread or site do not reflect the views the Moderators or of snowandmud.com ***

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
*** Comments made on this thread or site do not reflect the views the Moderators or of snowandmud.com ***

Unless you edit them.....

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THE CANADIAN PRESS said:
14, 2010.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jeff Bassett
VANCOUVER, B.C. - A 10-person investigation team from the RCMP major-crimes unit is looking into the events surrounding a deadly avalanche on Boulder Mountain near Revelstoke, B.C.

Kurtis Reynolds and Shay Snortland, two 33-year-old Alberta residents, were killed, and 31 others hurt Saturday when a wall of snow came down on a crowd of about 200 watching a snowmobiling event.

RCMP Cpl. Dan Moskaluk says police will gather as much information as possible, and recommend criminal charges to Crown counsel if supported by the evidence.

Given the unique circumstances, Moskaluk says he expects the investigation to be long and complex.

The search and recovery effort ended Monday after rescue teams and trained dogs found no other signs that any other people were trapped under the snow.

Survivors and experts have said the situation could have been much worse if those left above the snow hadn't been prepared with safety gear and technology to find others who were buried.

I disagree with charges being laid, there were alot of bad decisions made prior to the accident, but to point blame at anyone person is crazy. Kudos to the people that kept there wits together as this could of been worse. My condolences to the families of the 2 that past away. To those who were injured wish you all a speedy recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:

snowtec

Reaction score
You can go to her Lori's website and view most of the clips if she's commenting.

Everything right now is based on MEDIA perception. Right or wrong thats how it is.
I would find it HARD to believe that there were people at turbo that day that were NOT aware that it was a Avalanche path. I think for the most part that WE take responsibility for that and TRY to keep ourselves as safe as we can, IF we don't come home do our familys KNOW that WE as sledders take responsibility for OUR actions.
Watched Canada AM and they interviewed 1 of the Widows and it made me sick with the Questions. Like poking a open wound with a stick. SHE IS a LADY of the Highest degree.
I've been sledding the Big hills since the 81 and I know 1 thing for a FACT. If this would have happened back in say 86 or so the numbers would be MUCH higher. The people ON SCENE had the know how and the PROPER tools to rescue MANY, Too bad the media isnt focusing on these HEROS.
IF I'M lucky I will die on my sled doing what I love to do and NOT in my truck on on Hiway 1 or 2

Last edited:

bobloblaw670

Reaction score
I'm sure to get roasted for this.......

From the Globe & Mail

"The local Snowmobile Revelstoke Society distanced itself from the Big Iron Shootout yesterday, calling it "renegade" and "underground."

"I don't know when they're coming. I don't know anything about it," said Angela Threatful, executive director of the society. "I don't know who the organizers are."

Interesting and somewhat misleading statement. BTW, what happened to all the posts from "SRS" or "Powder Puff" on this board leading up to the days prior to the event? The posts reffering to the increase in price of trail passes and the policy regarding maximum capacity for the days of said event. I can understand the club distancing themselves from this fiasco in regards to liability issues, but to make untruthful statements to the media cause me some concern.

kbxsrx

Reaction score
I'm sure to get roasted for this.......

From the Globe & Mail

"The local Snowmobile Revelstoke Society distanced itself from the Big Iron Shootout yesterday, calling it "renegade" and "underground."

"I don't know when they're coming. I don't know anything about it," said Angela Threatful, executive director of the society. "I don't know who the organizers are."

Interesting and somewhat misleading statement. BTW, what happened to all the posts from "SRS" or "Powder Puff" on this board leading up to the days prior to the event? The posts reffering to the increase in price of trail passes and the policy regarding maximum capacity for the days of said event. I can understand the club distancing themselves from this fiasco in regards to liability issues, but to make untruthful statements to the media cause me some concern.

1-What a crock of crap! Ang you know better than that. Revygate is about to get stupid.
2-Absolutely- shovelling everything under the mat is not going to help any legal battles at all. :nono:

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure anyone with the society, city, or any other organization has to make sure it's clear they weren't involved, or say absolutely nothing. The papers and TV are going to over-sensationalize ANYTHING that they can take out of context.

They are getting so many viewers out of this they are going to keep printing "Ignoring risk is a sledder's personal choice: B.C. Snowmobile Federation" and making it sound like sledders don't care about anyone, instead of making it sound like sledders are responsible for their own actions.

Columnists who have never sledded will keep writing crap as long as uninformed people will keep listening to their inexperienced opinions.

Last edited:

sledhead_2002

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.imperialseed.com
03-11-2010, 06:40 AM

powder puff
Currently: Not set.
Premium Member

How is it goin` today ***b? The $5 increase is for 1 day to cover additional costs for the day. Your welcome to ride 10 k plus of gravel if you like to and from but you will be asked to pay a trail pass fee.
The trails are far from lackluster. The rds. were plowed to extend our riding season for our guests and club members not for this event and no we do not support the event. Last wk. we hauled snow from the lots to make the lower trail rideable.

Make a killing, your kiddng right. We have well over 600 members, they don`t pay a trail pass fee. The reason you are not permitted to do what the FAWK you like is the club and society have a management agreement with gov. to responsibly manage Boulder and Frisby during the winter season they are recreation sites and by limiting the amount of riders we are able to do this and because of previous yrs. and the problems that arose this has had to happen. Believe it or not we like to snowmobile here too.

The event is a thorn, we hear about the date on the forums same as you do. Who do you think has to deal with problems on the hill that day or clean up the aftermath. It sure the he!! isn`t O-Zone.
I think if it was organized and run properly it could be the greatest show on earth. Don`t expect the club or society to to take this on either, we may be the largest club in the prov. but we have 8 core people who make it all happen.

Have a great wknd. in Sicamous, you`ll be driving up the mtns. to limited parking areas there also and paying a trail pass fee to ride over to this side.
I guess the plus is at least you`ll be supporting snowmobiling.

Still up on SW

Top Bottom