Exhaust Pipe Hole, Can I temp fix?

tonykunz

Reaction score
I am looking to replace my set of pipes on my sled, the only problem is I called around and it could take up to 3-4 weeks to get something in. Any idea's how I might be able to patch job this until I find and order a new set of pipes in?

I thought of two ways, rivet some tin/seal bond it. Or else get some sort of exhaust wrap or ducting tape (shiny metallic tape)
exhaust hole.jpg

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
too bad your so far away,would weld it up for you for free...
there must be a welding shop or a buddy that can do it for you.
email me ,I know a friend with stock pipe would sell cheap in Whitecourt.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of holes show up on my psi twins, when the sprin that holds them together broke, had a buddy tig them up with some patches.....better than new. He welded on a couple of pieces on each pipe right where they touch each other as well

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A good welder (for thin metal) can temporarily fix it but they will open up again. Once they've split once, the pipe is doomed. Got a year on mine before it split again, my buddy got a couple rides on his and it went.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A good welder (for thin metal) can temporarily fix it but they will open up again. Once they've split once, the pipe is doomed. Got a year on mine before it split again, my buddy got a couple rides on his and it went.

No offense kootenaycat, but you actually said it...."a good welder". Should last as long as the rest of the pipe.....just saying

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats an easy fix. any remotley competent welder can fix it. As a little info a cut open beer can and some haywire can allways get you back to the truck!!

Brian D.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No offense kootenaycat, but you actually said it...."a good welder". Should last as long as the rest of the pipe.....just saying

The pipe has lasted as long as it could already. When you weld on compromised material (rusted or stress fatigued) the repair will only be as good as the base metal. The weld will be sound if done correctly but you create a another stress area surrounding welds from the weak or thin material cooling at a much quicker rate than the weld its self which is thicker. Over time, another crack will likely develop along side or near the repair weld especially when it is subject to a lot of vibration. That being said it should buy you some time to save up for another pipe.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
The pipe has lasted as long as it could already. When you weld on compromised material (rusted or stress fatigued) the repair will only be as good as the base metal. The weld will be sound if done correctly but you create a another stress area surrounding welds from the weak or thin material cooling at a much quicker rate than the weld its self which is thicker. Over time, another crack will likely develop along side or near the repair weld especially when it is subject to a lot of vibration. That being said it should buy you some time to save up for another pipe.

and I still like that..."next door to my neighbour"....:beer::beer::beer:

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can get it welded... weld it ... it will last ... the patch should be at least 2 inchs bigger all around then the whole or cracks to be covered

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

None taken! :D

I should have said "competent" or maybe experienced, I've seen backyarders bubblegum more welds then I care to see! As a mechanic my least favourite jobs were to fix someone else's "attempt" to repair a problem!

tonykunz

Reaction score
Friend whipped this together for me. Can't wait to throw them on tomorrow, hopefully they last. There was a lot more damage then I initially though. It basically cracked in a spiral and out of 360 degrees, about 300 had a hairline crack through it, with the gaping 2" x 2 1/2" hole
pipes.jpg

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friend whipped this together for me. Can't wait to throw them on tomorrow, hopefully they last. There was a lot more damage then I initially though. It basically cracked in a spiral and out of 360 degrees, about 300 had a hairline crack through it, with the gaping 2" x 2 1/2" hole
View attachment 76852

is that one of those new "heavy weight" pipes? good to see it is fixed.....I have to weld up my kids 550 pipe for the 3 time in 7 years......way cheaper than I new one and guys still want an arm and a leg for a used one!

Top Bottom