exhaust leak, mess under hood.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 2010 M8 and seems to be a leak in the doughnut where the y-pipe and pipe connect. Sometimes it splatters out oil spraying in all over under the hood.

anyone see this before? What's the fix? a new doughnut? some silicone? new springs???

Thanks.

Taylzee

Reaction score
I have the same sled and the same problem. I thought the same as you initially. I got looking around in there to see what I could do and found that it isn't the exhaust donut. I have a pin hole leak in the Y-pipe where it is welded to the cylinder flanges. The only fix is pulling it and welding the hole shut properly.

Shortcut

Reaction score
Yup had the same issue last year, there was a crack in the underside of the y pipe where it comes together, did not see it till I removed and examined. Also when using a hi temp sealant, check to make sure it is oil resistant, when I used 1 product on the donut, it eventually leaked.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have some time so i'll take the Y-pipe off and inspect it. I also have Ultra Copper to cover that base.

HiLlClImB911

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
used ultra copper on my brothers 2010 m8 last year and held up good, didnt seem to have any leaks after.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pulled the Y-pipe off and took a look but didn't see any holes. I suppose they can be pretty small and hard to detect. Any tips on how to make sure it's still good? Maybe take it somewhere?

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, non 'obvious' holes, and no oil on the outside (never had any either).

I'll seal it up with Ultra copper, clean the engine bay and give it a shot.

Beekeeper

Reaction score
Check your main pipe also. Last year my 07 M8 had 3 pinholes on the front side of the pipe just where the bend starts towards the clutch. It occurred right on the factory weld. Rick @ Mountain magic welded it for me. It has been great since.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have two 07, M8's one was leaking but noticed that there is an alignment bump on the gasket that wasn’t fit into the protrusion on the flange. Put it in place and ta da....no more leak.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

yeah, Rick at MM is a friendly guy.

belch22

Reaction score
Just put a new Y-pipe on and had a leak on the doughnut, sealed it up with Ultra Copper and no more leaky....can't go wrong with the stuff

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
D&D has the right idea with their y-pipe... They face the little alignment tit that the donut goes onto to the bottom so it at least doesn't spray all over the engine compartment. I just used the high temp RTV silicone or whatever to seal up around there and it's not bad.

Top Bottom