Ethanol fuel Question

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 09 M1000 with a slp pipe,y-pipe,intake,v-force reeds and a pc5.This year I'm having trouble with my exhaust temps getting crazy above 3/4 throttle!According to my koso gauges I've been over 1300 at least 5 times!That motor should have squeaked the first time!I pulled the plugs when it did it and they are brown even darker.The pto piston has some scoring and the mag is fine!The pistons look the same as the first time it did it as till this last time!The temps are real close together,no more that 60 degrees when it's getting 'hot'!I have not changed anything from last year!Last year I ran a couple of liters of 111 in each tank and had no problems!This year it's running 'hot'!I keep upping my 111 and now it's almost 50/50 with premium fuel!My mechanic said it's because of the ethanol in the fuel and he said SLP has mapping for the pc5 for ethanol fuel!I'm thinking those koso gauges are ch!t but he never saw them fail before!Anybody else having issues with this blended fuel at the pumps?Myself I think it's the gauges but I don't want to piss a couple hundred bucks on gauges and have it be the fuel!I've ran more modified engines than this and have them squeak at the mid 12's not tapping on 1400 degrees!!!And the mechanic telling me it was the 111 that saved my engine!!!:confused:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would it be that your sled is a little on the rich side, and the unused fuel is burning in the pipe instead of the cylinder?

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't figure it out!It ran perfect last year other than a little lean in mid range when the valves are starting to open but I would either give more throttle or slow down a bit and it was fine.I had a pc3 on it before that screwed up and kept taking out the pto piston so I put a pc5 on last year and it cured it.But I've had this thing up to 1370 and it should have ch!t it's pants but I pulled the plugs and looked at the pistons and they were fine!I usually ran digitrons before and this is my first koso's gauges so I think it might be the probes and or gauges.It has the quick reaction probes too!I'll have to check if a carb boot might be cracked and it's sucking air when I'm winding it out but lean condition would show on my plugs.And when it is climbing over 1200 it still pulls like a mule and it should be getting boggy by then!I know because I leaned into it when it was getting close to 1300 because I thought blow up then you pos but it didn't!!I might have to go back to farm gas in it because it seemed to run better!LOL!

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fuel change or air leaks, maybe engine seals leaking after sitting all summer.

are you running at a different altitude than last year?

I run regular in mine, some with ethanol blends(seems all have that now). I'm able to keep temps down with manual adjustment on the BD box. Can you not manually rich-en it up with the PC5? wouldn't fix the cause, but would save your engine till you figure it out.

unfortunately your gauges are probably not wrong. I get nervous at anything over 1200. The only time i saw 1300 it cost me a G note.

joekikass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should be running 87 unless you have porting or head work your still a low compression engine I would say your fuel is a problem . My 09 runs like a donkey in the Kentucky derby on anything but 87 and i have as many mods as you

scott 259

Reaction score
Mix a can of Premium (No Ethanol) and 111. (You asume you did this, but...) When you do your plug check make sure you kill the motor with the throttle wide open WFO, 3 seconds of idle and the read tells you nothing.

Scott

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try just plain regular in it and see what it does.I only ever used to farm gas in the damn thing even with the mods!I only had engine trouble with it after I clipped a tree in McBride and I think it gave the pc3 a brain tumor and it kept taking out the pto cylinder.I put in a pc5 and it cured it till now.I started running some 111 in each tank after I picked it up from the shop because mechanic recommended it.It seemed to be getting worse with the higher amounts of 111 I added now that I think about it!I never had det problems with regular and I never changed the heads or did porting to it.I think I effed up because this year when I drug it out of the shed I just topped it off with 111.It had less than half a tank of fuel from April so I thought it would even out the 'old' fuel!I should treat it a little better I guess!LOL!!!Thanks for the input!!

Top Bottom