Edmonton needs a new ring road?

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
how about putting in a proper lrt system from spruce grove and s. park.... reduces traffic, frees up parking ...... same goes for the rest of the country, commuter trains move people way better than hiways. With a high speed train you could commute from Calgary to Edmonton, or Edmonton to Ft. Mac....

Canadians are waay to reliant on their vehicles, we're about 20 years behind Europe.
Since when are we comparing ourselves to Europe? For one the population density difference is HUGE! Sure an LRT will help in some areas, but there is no way your going to efficiently and economically service all the urban sprawl. Sure I think a high speed train between places like Edmonton and Calgary would be a great thing, but ultimately our current economy and lifestyles revolve around cars and trucks. You telling me you are on this site and don't have a truck? How do you plan to haul your sled and or quad on the LRT?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since when are we comparing ourselves to Europe? For one the population density difference is HUGE! Sure an LRT will help in some areas, but there is no way your going to efficiently and economically service all the urban sprawl. Sure I think a high speed train between places like Edmonton and Calgary would be a great thing, but ultimately our current economy and lifestyles revolve around cars and trucks. You telling me you are on this site and don't have a truck? How do you plan to haul your sled and or quad on the LRT?

Bingo. Even with an lrt to spruce grove, Nisku, sherwood park, St. Albert the areas are so spread out it's just not effective. Hence the reliance on vehicles. If everyone worked in skyscrapers downtown lrt is the answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LRT yeah right I'll pass thanks unless you live in a bad neighborhood in the city its useless and they'd had to upgrade it to a full on train to go to Fort Mac etc which will never happen

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
One of my first jobs in Alberta as a Survey Tech was the initial lay out of the west portion of the Henday from 184th and Ray Gibbons down across the yellowhead and Stony Plain Rd to 87th ave... That was 18 years ago and that whole stretch was nothing but bush & power line/pipeline right of way.

took 15-ish years to get-r-done best start planning the next one now..... hwy 37 in the north, hwy 60 to the west, 19 & 625 to the south and 21 to the east.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last train I was on probably had over 1000 people on it and ran at 350km/h.

Ahhhh right. The thing that holds up 200 vehicles to transport 50 people. I remember now

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since the topic of crowded roads was brought up..... We as a society would rather spend billions of dollars building roads that require way more maintenance than a rail system and pay $100's of dollars in parking a month so we can drive the shiny new f350 to work.

How do you know it wont work? Obviously it does or Japan, China, Europe, uk, usa, would not be doing it.

Where did I say I did not own a truck???

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how is being spread out going to make it not effective? that's the reason to put it out into those communities. If you could get 50% of the single occupied vehicles off the road it would make a huge difference. The current lrt system is running at max capacity during peak hrs so obviously people use it.

Bingo. Even with an lrt to spruce grove, Nisku, sherwood park, St. Albert the areas are so spread out it's just not effective. Hence the reliance on vehicles. If everyone worked in skyscrapers downtown lrt is the answer

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
useless? shows you're ignorance to what the rest of the world is doing. How do you know it will never happen? A few more deaths everyday on the 63 will open some eyes to a better way of getting people up to the mac.
LRT yeah right I'll pass thanks unless you live in a bad neighborhood in the city its useless and they'd had to upgrade it to a full on train to go to Fort Mac etc which will never happen

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just to throw this out there; the lower mainland is one of the most densely populated areas in the country. The amount of money it costs to run and maintain public transportation out there is ridiculous. Sure they move a lot of people but at what expense and it costs everyone not just the user. Property taxes are higher, special gas tax in the GVRD, and we all know the cost of bureaucracy to run the silly enterprise.

Urban sprawl is a drain but isn't that what we want for our lifestyle? I wouldn't be happy living in downtown anywhere as I want my space, my lawn, my commuters, my truck, my shop, my ride along mower, etc., etc.. I don't really know if it costs more to build roads that building rapid transit. I doo know that the planers sure have to be forward thinkers in either case.

How long did the bridge to nowhere, north of Ft. Mac sit virtually unused?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
last train I was on probably had over 1000 people on it and ran at 350km/h.

I don't disagree high speed rail is a good investment. Calgary edmonton fort Mac would be awesome for high speed rail. But in terms of those 20kmh trolley cars not really a comparison

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Edmonton's south LRT is effective and will be moreso in the future. I see it on a daily basis.

That thing is pretty full forthe rush hour. Any city that is growing has a rail system, you can't argue that it isn't the way to move people.

If you drive from Century park to downtown, you will see this thing is faster than a car. It goes 50 plus kmh. Property values have increased because of it. Look at Belgravia/Mckernan. At first, it was "Not in my back yard" now it is a neighbourhood that has gotten stupid expensive to buy.

over 95,000 boardings per day.

A high speed rail between Calgary/Edmonton/Ft.mac is not feasible. That has been proven time and time again. Billions of dollars to build rails, power lines, stations, then people have to what... RENT cars once they get here or there?

Keep flogging that dead horse.. jump on a bus or fly.. It is about the same time when it's all said and done.

Reaction score
Toll ring road.

solve it real quick

If capacity increases, so does usage. Theres a few studies that have proved it.

ie If road improvements make it easy to drive from sherwood park to River Cree, people will do it. If its a pain in the rear, they wont.

Top Bottom