Edmonton needs a new ring road?

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
So I guess it was brought up again today, what do you think? I am seeing the henday backed up for miles pretty regularly now. It took many many years of planning to get the henday where it is now, and the mayor thinks its a waist of land use and money to start planning for the next ring road.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I was living in St. Albert, working in Edm. and making the ring road, they should have made it at least a 6 or 8 lane. Cowtowns is 75% done, the 2nd last leg last year near my house in the far SE. And they are already making everything a 6 lane..... Don't know why they didn't do it right the first time :confused:

If both ring roads were to be widened, would another one be needed?

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And all I want is a road smooth enough to drink a coffee on, is that too much to ask for?

I love the stretch between Bezanson and GP west bound...retarded

City planers don't plan for the future at all, the way Edmonton is growing a 6 lane road should have been a no brainer

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the stretch between Bezanson and GP west bound...retarded

City planers don't plan for the future at all, the way Edmonton is growing a 6 lane road should have been a no brainer

I really don't see what would be so difficult about setting aside the land to build a new ring road, particularly if none of the land is developed yet. I think they would save a pile of money by doing it now, although I can definitely see there are other priorities for that money.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really don't see what would be so difficult about setting aside the land to build a new ring road, particularly if none of the land is developed yet. I think they would save a pile of money by doing it now, although I can definitely see there are other priorities for that money.

fancy dinners, retarded cell phone bills, insane credit card bill and ridiculous pensions...not much money left for roads after the premiers done with YOUR MONEY

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com

that's my thought as well. at least get the ball rolling now, keep the developers from building in the proposed route. as fast as the city has grown lately its hardly a bypass route anymore. And it gets backed up for miles! maybe 6 lanes would help, but? I don't think there is room to pull that off on the whitemud or yellowhead. I don't think the mayor has had to commute much with that outlook.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
Not to mention a $600 million arena for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in the last 8 years.

If they were smart they would be building that somewhere more feasible as well... not everyone is gonna take the LRT to games. I fail to see how they will accommodate parking.. Highrise parkades in the works?? Wonder what parking will cost then?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was living in St. Albert, working in Edm. and making the ring road, they should have made it at least a 6 or 8 lane. Cowtowns is 75% done, the 2nd last leg last year near my house in the far SE. And they are already making everything a 6 lane..... Don't know why they didn't do it right the first time :confused:

If both ring roads were to be widened, would another one be needed?

no one gives a chit about calgary. move along. LMAO JK...

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If they were smart they would be building that somewhere more feasible as well... not everyone is gonna take the LRT to games. I fail to see how they will accommodate parking.. Highrise parkades in the works?? Wonder what parking will cost then?

there is a parkade at the arena, and the new block D tower accross the street. that being said lets be realistic i sure as fawk am not taking the LRT, and look around the current parking lot. 50-70% trucks. enjoy that parkade no one will be able to fit into.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

BINGO.

there are no other priorities for that money. infastructure should be #1 priority if theres anything left for everyone else and there BS social programs then great. the city has a terrible history or future planning its no wonder they are already turning there noses up to this idea. gatewayblvd 23 ave interchange for example 10 years ago 50million. 2 years ago 150 million. they need to start planning for the future in a big way. look at the yellowhead, imagine the costs to expropriate the land required to make that road a true freeway. could have been set aside 50 years ago. The anthony henday is great. but it was designed for traffic flows when the concept origionally came out. its far over capacity already. a 2 lane "free" way give me a break. there are provisions for 3 lanes the entire route but even that is a bandaid in certain locations. this land for another ring road needs to be aquired at the bare minimum before it has to be expropriated or purchased at a higher cost down the road. that being said the city will never do it. lets look at the anthony henday again. do you think the city would have footed the bill for that ring road if the provincial government hadent steped in? no fawkn way. they had 0 dollars set aside for a ringroad project. we also have to remember we are talking about the city of edmonton. a new ringroad developed by the city would consist of more bike lanes sideways and greenspaces than actual traffic lanes. thats where there priorities sit. they are planning to take the most valuable land in edmonton right now (municipal airport) and turn it into a 250 million dollar deficit LMFAO. only the city could do that. the only way another ring road will happen is if the provincial government takes care of it.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed has nothing to do with arena it's all the apartments DK and his cronies are going to cash in on. I still can't believe he duped edmontonions and council.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iraq has better roads than Edmonton. They should have to pay for the ball joints and tie rods in the residents vehicles. Its Insane that the forestry trunk road is smoother that 50 st

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BINGO.

there are no other priorities for that money. infastructure should be #1 priority if theres anything left for everyone else and there BS social programs then great. the city has a terrible history or future planning its no wonder they are already turning there noses up to this idea. gatewayblvd 23 ave interchange for example 10 years ago 50million. 2 years ago 150 million. they need to start planning for the future in a big way. look at the yellowhead, imagine the costs to expropriate the land required to make that road a true freeway. could have been set aside 50 years ago. The anthony henday is great. but it was designed for traffic flows when the concept origionally came out. its far over capacity already. a 2 lane "free" way give me a break. there are provisions for 3 lanes the entire route but even that is a bandaid in certain locations. this land for another ring road needs to be aquired at the bare minimum before it has to be expropriated or purchased at a higher cost down the road. that being said the city will never do it. lets look at the anthony henday again. do you think the city would have footed the bill for that ring road if the provincial government hadent steped in? no fawkn way. they had 0 dollars set aside for a ringroad project. we also have to remember we are talking about the city of edmonton. a new ringroad developed by the city would consist of more bike lanes sideways and greenspaces than actual traffic lanes. thats where there priorities sit. they are planning to take the most valuable land in edmonton right now (municipal airport) and turn it into a 250 million dollar deficit LMFAO. only the city could do that. the only way another ring road will happen is if the provincial government takes care of it.

Edmonton seems to have a good way of spending their tax dollars on useless junk, and forcing the provincial government to pay for necessities like roads.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
I guess that the mayor thinks a ring road will divert traffic from making it to their revitalized downtown? They really need to pull their heads out of their azzes, and get with the program. With the henday already over capacity, it only makes sense. the province see's it! so how can the mayor be so oblivious?

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forget the Ring roads how about some atv trails near by instead lol

Top Bottom