Drive Shaft issue

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So when Polaris decides to utter a comment to the masses, will they be required to issue it first to maxwell, cuso and the other Doo twits who have so vociferously commented on this issue, that doesn't concern them in the least ?
Cause it's obvious the Doo guys are far more concerned with the general satisfaction level in the Pro buyers group.

kidder17

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if Boost-it is producing any type of a temporary fix such as what RK Tek is offering?

Any comments Neil?

Thanks,

Warren

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So when Polaris decides to utter a comment to the masses, will they be required to issue it first to maxwell, cuso and the other Doo twits who have so vociferously commented on this issue, that doesn't concern them in the least ?
Cause it's obvious the Doo guys are far more concerned with the general satisfaction level in the Pro buyers group.

Not rly I ride with them in my group. And we have all been through this issue before. The only point I'm Trying to make is don't get hung up manufacturing dates and glue quantities and textures. Just fix the issue yourself until Polaris does something. This is an issue whether you want to accept it or not so just deal with it rather than in the backcountry. Kelsey has made a quick fix here. Just because it didn't fail in your backyard doesn't mean it's not going to fail period. So why risk it if its known some are already failing and it's only November only 5% of the sleds are even on the snow. I don't enjoy towing sleds. Why would I wish that on anyone Lenny. That's the beauty of communities like this. Everyone has worked together sharing information and there are already multiple temporary measures in place to slow or eliminate the inevitable.

With that said Polaris and cat twits ensured our 2008 experience was even worse than it was with the pine cone name calling. So 5 yeas later once Polaris has caught up to a game we have already played it is somewhat amusing to watch lmao. Get ready for the weight gains there coming. Like I said this was 5 years ago.

Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
crybaby.jpg

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not rly I ride with them in my group. And we have all been through this issue before. The only point I'm Trying to make is don't get hung up manufacturing dates and glue quantities and textures. Just fix the issue yourself until Polaris does something. This is an issue whether you want to accept it or not so just deal with it rather than in the backcountry. Kelsey has made a quick fix here. Just because it didn't fail in your backyard doesn't mean it's not going to fail period. So why risk it if its known some are already failing and it's only November only 5% of the sleds are even on the snow. I don't enjoy towing sleds. Why would I wish that on anyone Lenny. That's the beauty of communities like this. Everyone has worked together sharing information and there are already multiple temporary measures in place to slow or eliminate the inevitable.

With that said Polaris and cat twits ensured our 2008 experience was even worse than it was with the pine cone name calling. So 5 yeas later once Polaris has caught up to a game we have already played it is somewhat amusing to watch lmao. Get ready for the weight gains there coming. Like I said this was 5 years ago.

Be amused and watch and enjoy the misfortune. Oh, and continue to display to all your true character.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Sorry that you cant see through your hate that my post was meant to be informative Lenny. I guess that is a personal issue you have that you need to sort through with yourself. I don't see Trench or Andrew 3399 bagging on my post. It was meant to be informative for everyone involved on how long it takes big business to react to a problem in the field. I applaud companies like RK Tek for trying to find a solution to the problem. Small companies can react quicker than big companies. The only concern I have is if the shaft still fails with his clamp on it will he be named in the lawsuit? Its a fawked up world out there. Just sayn....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And teeroy, either feed that kid or fix his driveshaft, poor little guy.
I don't take any pleasure in hearing of the failures (well, okay....maybe a little) but I'm not here to bust anyone's balls about it. I'm just asking questions that need to be asked and hoping that there is a quicker resolution via other means, be it aftermarket or someone's excellent garage mod like NM's buddy posted. as Ken said, you will be waiting a long time for polaris to sort this out. I ride with a bunch of poo guys too, I don't want anyone's ride ruining a weekend.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry that you cant see through your hate that my post was meant to be informative Lenny. I guess that is a personal issue you have that you need to sort through with yourself. I don't see Trench or Andrew 3399 bagging on my post. It was meant to be informative for everyone involved on how long it takes big business to react to a problem in the field. I applaud companies like RK Tek for trying to find a solution to the problem. Small companies can react quicker than big companies. The only concern I have is if the shaft still fails with his clamp on it will he be named in the lawsuit? Its a fawked up world out there. Just sayn....

Your post was good. I learned a lot from it. Never knew the whole process

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As someone who has seen how BRP works behind the scenes let me tell you this. This is a very similar problem to what Doo went through in 2008. Polaris will be sending out a Safety Bulletin soon. Transport Canada and the similar agency in the US will force them to. All driveshafts will be replaced to rule out even one fatality. Right now Polaris engineers are frantically testing old shafts that have failed. They will then decipher there is an issue. They will then work on a fix and ride the new shaft and test it statically around the clock to make sure the new fix does not fail. They will then send out out a bulletin telling the consumer to not ride the product until the fix is in. there will be unrest from the masses. Lots of unrest. The dealers after a period of time will start receiving a few at a time as Polaris try's to spread out the help. Everyone will now become the "best " customer of there dealer and demand there's first. It will take most of the winter for everyone to get there new shaft. I am not here to say if this is a design failure or not. I believe Polaris did there due diligence and then farmed the shafts to the cheapest bidder and here is what they get. This is exactly the same problem BRP went through in 2008. I personally talked to my engineering friends at Doo and rode XP mules with over 10000 miles on them in Colorado with no driveshaft failures, no handwarmer issues, no early clutch component failures. The proto's are sound. The weak link is the vendors who build the parts. Hope this helps everyone to understand the process. And to an earlier comment on DSM's. They are programmed to tell the dealer what he wants to hear. Talk to an engineer if you want a truthful answer.
i commend you on helping shed some positive light on a dismal situation. it's nice to hear experienced opinions on what the future may hold. thank you Ken.

GSTEIN

Reaction score
I had talked to my dealer and they stated that Polaris knows of 13 failures in North America. Further to that out of the 13 some have happened at 1km and all the rest except one were before 5km. The exception is 1 had made it to 22km according to them. I don't know how you can verify that but it seems like if they are going to go its going to happen quick which should prevent you from getting into the backcountry as most trails are longer than 5km. There is another thread on here of ppl posting that they have over 200 miles on theirs and no issues. I think its just a defect on some of the Pro's just like there are defects on trucks and cars and electronics and anything else that is mass produced.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I had talked to my dealer and they stated that Polaris knows of 13 failures in North America. Further to that out of the 13 some have happened at 1km and all the rest except one were before 5km. The exception is 1 had made it to 22km according to them. I don't know how you can verify that but it seems like if they are going to go its going to happen quick which should prevent you from getting into the backcountry as most trails are longer than 5km. There is another thread on here of ppl posting that they have over 200 miles on theirs and no issues. I think its just a defect on some of the Pro's just like there are defects on trucks and cars and electronics and anything else that is mass produced.

I believe there is a post of a guy stuck in a creek bed after 200 miles when it let go.........

GSTEIN

Reaction score
I believe there is a post of a guy stuck in a creek bed after 200 miles when it let go.........

I've been following this thread from the beginning and haven't see anyone post that unless its on another thread possibly ?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Wasnt really thinking of your post, it actually seemed to be unite informative, but if you see yourself in the group I was talking about, well that's your issue. No hate here, just an annoyance that I know a pile of others feel, but are maybe too nice or reluctant to talk about. The same beakers, same BS, self congratulatory crowing, under the guise of genuine concern. Ok, lots of guys do care, and sympathize, as I do, but unfortunately as is very evident for all to see , there's a few who are just yapping to re affirm to the world how smart they are they didn't buy one of those POS (insert brand) cause their Doo is so much better.
Same guys same crap, gets tired.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh , and if you think you may be in the group I'm talking about,....... You probably are.

duck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I keep track of this thread as well as a few others to keep informed. A few guys I ride with ride Pros and the last thing I want is to be ruining a good weekend pulling out sleds when we could be riding. Mine is old enough and I carry a rope just for it in case of an issue.....lol

Top Bottom