Dodge 6.7

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Want to find out the pros and cons of the new 6.7. Power and mileage compared to 5.9. I`m looking at a 07 3500. The dpf is it a problem? Worth the hastle or find a 5.9? Thanks

smashedit

Reaction score
The 6.7 has some bennefit, the built in exhaust brake works very well, the six speed auto seems bullet proof. My 6.7 has been averageing 12.9 MPG as a daily driver for work(little load). The last 5.9 i had, 2006 on the same job would average 19.6 MPG at the end of the day. stock for stock the 6.7 does feel like it has more power.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is still stock except for a S&B air box and 305-70-17 nittros. It pulls my 9000lbs trailer with the box full of fire wood and genset, Wife,Kid, and dog....no problem. Mileage I cant help U. Compared to my 05 Duramax it has more power maybe...just different. 6.7 seems to lag off thye bottom but once it spools up she pulls hard. I'm very happy with it. I plan on getting rid of the DPF and egr/cooler as well. DPF has not been a problem at all, the egr is killing me that it is still in there. Look at some pics in the net of the crap that is beeing put back into your engine. It has to go...IMO

H&S Blackmax is "IMO" the way to go. Flo Pro "5" AFE air cannon is a great box...I got my S&B cheap so I went that way.

polar sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 08 6.7 was the biggest piece of c**p i ever bought , constant emissions issues and the tranny shifter broke , lost the rear fender twice , and couldnt keep tires on it and a pig on fuel , I went back to a older 5.9 i love the truck have being driving these since 1995 and by far the older ones are the best ones, unless the newer ones have being fixed i might find my self switching to a ford on my next truck.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dpf/regen programming on the 07s were horrible. At least three different programming updates. If they spent any time at all idling, they eventually needed a tow truck. By the spring of 08 the re-gen issues seemed to be fixed.

The 6.7 makes more hp/tq than the 5.9 however the 5.9 does not lack power. I cannot imagine you hauling a load with a 3500 that the 5.9 couldn't handle.

DPF seems to reduce fuel milage by about 1/3 over the pre-dpf units.

The engine brake on the 6.7 will spoil you.

• Staff

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The dpf/regen programming on the 07s were horrible. At least three different programming updates. If they spent any time at all idling, they eventually needed a tow truck. By the spring of 08 the re-gen issues seemed to be fixed.

The 6.7 makes more hp/tq than the 5.9 however the 5.9 does not lack power. I cannot imagine you hauling a load with a 3500 that the 5.9 couldn't handle.

DPF seems to reduce fuel milage by about 1/3 over the pre-dpf units.

The engine brake on the 6.7 will spoil you.

Ok will the updated DPF mapping increase the MPG? 5.9 hard to find with low KM on them. Need some hard numbers to help. Would like the Litres per 100 km form the onboard fuel calculator if possible please. Thanks

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok will the updated DPF mapping increase the MPG? 5.9 hard to find with low KM on them. Need some hard numbers to help. Would like the Litres per 100 km form the onboard fuel calculator if possible please. Thanks

I wouldn't put too much weight into the on board fuel calculator. I too would like to upgrade to the new crewcab, but am not 100% sold on the DPF equipped engines. That and the $73.000 price tag. I think I'll keep driving my 05 5.9

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree that on board trip calculators are not that great...but mine read 19.8mpg coming home from Kelowna bc, I think it was close, but I have never figured it out. I love the engine brake, the main reason I bought this truck plus the Mega cab! I have had zero issues with the dpf stuff but I run on the hiway to work so I think that helps some. I still have warrenty left so I'm tentative to cut out that stuff. But it will happen one day soon I hope.
The truck works better with a good air box as she spools up a little faster but I think a good pipe will help that as well.

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the dpf delete and smarty jr tuner along with s&b cold air brought my milage from 6.5mpg to 16 mpg pulling our 13000lb toy hauler has plenty of power on fuel economy setting without even going to tow. empty went from 13mpg to about 20mpg the power between the 5.9 and the 6.7 is different the 5.9 was quicker revving but the 6.7 pulls significantly harder this is my comparison between my 08 and my previous 05 for pulling the 6.7 is the way to go just get rid of dpf

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree that on board trip calculators are not that great...but mine read 19.8mpg coming home from Kelowna bc, I think it was close, but I have never figured it out. I love the engine brake, the main reason I bought this truck plus the Mega cab! I have had zero issues with the dpf stuff but I run on the hiway to work so I think that helps some. I still have warrenty left so I'm tentative to cut out that stuff. But it will happen one day soon I hope.
The truck works better with a good air box as she spools up a little faster but I think a good pipe will help that as well.

That's US gallons on the trip

I just picked up an 07 with the 5.9 in a 3500

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's US gallons on the trip

I just picked up an 07 with the 5.9 in a 3500

From the information I have found.

If you add 3 mpg to what the overhaed reads it should be close.

So if it reads 17 mpg US it would be 20 mpg imp.

I am not sure how acurate the overhead mpg works...

crazy_wheeler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far with 9900 km's on my 2010 dually I'm getting 18 mpg. I'm traveling 115 km/hr almost every where I go on the highway and worked the mileage out. The trip calculator on the dash seems to be reading almost 2 mpg less than actual. So far in the past week I've been to the Manitoba border and as of yesterday north of Ft. St. John.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
So far with 9900 km's on my 2010 dually I'm getting 18 mpg. I'm traveling 115 km/hr almost every where I go on the highway and worked the mileage out. The trip calculator on the dash seems to be reading almost 2 mpg less than actual. So far in the past week I've been to the Manitoba border and as of yesterday north of Ft. St. John.
Gonna have that thing miled out in no time!

travlin

Reaction score
I have an 2004 5.9 and a 2008 6.7, and to make a long story short, yes the DPF is a big problem that the Chrysler engineers admit they cannot fix.
The 5.9 600 series is the way to go. I run 37 inch tires and still get 24mpg on the highway

travlin

Reaction score
Gonna have that thing miled out in no time!

The trip calculator is out by exactly 3mpg. It is calibrated on a USA gallon.
So what ever the thing says add 3mpg

riffrraffing

Reaction score
***Price Reduced***
Selling my 2008 dodge megacab 4x4 Laramie. Full load. Includes factory DVD and Rear Entertainment, Sunroof, Grey Leather Buckets, Power Adjustable Pedals, Rear Heated Window, Husky Floor Mats, Linex Box Liner, Chrome Steps and Chrome Bug Deflector. Excellent shape. 85,000km. Take over my lease or buy out right. 1187/month until June12, 2011 with option to buy at the end of lease for 26676.25. Or buy now for 37,000.00 OBO Make me an offer...

Will also sell with my aluminum Tool Box with hidden built in Fuel Tank w/ Electric pump and hose and nozzle. Tool Box cost me $2400.00

Truck is currently getting 25mpg on the highway. 1,000+ km/tank.

Will include brand new firestone airbags that have never been installed and a front levelling kit. Truck is completely stock. Never been chipped or modified. A virgin. Please call Nathan at 403-505-4443.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a 07 - 3500 dually with six speed standard trans to haul a 40' race trailer...loaded it weights in at 14,000 lbs, we carry another 180 gals of water on a tank on the truck.

I have had this truck in the shop 4 times complaing of lack of power....they did the "oh we updated the computer it wil be better now" thing every time it went in. They have had it on the dyno, it was within spec, so I brought the truck in with the trailer(wasnt loaded up) pluged in thier computer and we went out on the hiway.....the fuel rail pressure and the boost pressure were with in spec put always on the bottom end of the spec...even the mech that was holding the lap top thought it seemed sluggish at 100 km and putting your foot into it ie passing.....

So we get back to the shop and he starts telling me about his after work hobbie's....buying wrecked trucks and fixing them....says come have a look, he has the same truck 07 3500 dually with the 6.7. Opens the drivers door and says have a look....I'm looking and then I notice the fuel programer on the dash....So I ask him are you reccommeding that.....the answer was "no" just thought I'd show you how I outfit them at home.....

But his doesnt have warrenty and being a dodge diesel mech he's not that concerned about warranty....I went to a new truck to get the warranty....

moarl of the story as soon as the warranties off I know how to fix it...

PS his other comments were re :
cold air intakes...very few of the after market air filters, filter the air adequitly and wind up doing more harm in the all run.

Lots of good pipes on the market, but adding air and opening exhaust without adding fuel leans out the air/fuel mixture and again does more harm then good.

Starts making the big gas engines look a little better or cheaper anyway.

Dodge
6.7 diesel 350 hp 650 T
5.7 Gas 383 hp 400 T

Ford
6.7 diesel 390 hp 735 T
6.2 Gas 385 hp 405 T

GM
6.6 Diesel 365 hp 660 T
6 Gas 322 hp 380 T

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Turbo diesel engines will run fine on a lean fuel air mixture...completely opposite of a turbo gas engine where a lean mixture will melt pistons and valves. The more fresh air into a turbo diesel engine the better they run.

Top Bottom