Diesel vs Gas

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 13 gmc only has 5000km so i havent found much i dislike yet. i dont care for when the tranny shifts from 1-2. and the defrost.....its a small bar in the middle of the window. doesnt go infront of the driver or passenger whatsoever. it moves alot of air and works good but in the AM it takes a long time to get the heat over to the drivers side.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2001 Dodge 2500 should be a long box. Why the hell did I do that....AGAIN! 240,000kms on it, Cummins runs like a top but the body is rusting out from under it. Hated the steering wander....steering brace fixed it. Rides a little rough, but it's a truck and that's what I use it for. Headlights suck, and there's a really bad blind spot where the doors meet the windshield. 24 valve Cummins mileage is nothing to brag about, wish it was a 12 valve.

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2010 dodge dually I did front universals at 80000 km covered under warranty :) driver side defrost sucks at - 35 or so I got 115000 km on it now runs strong no rattles rides really good with a slip tank full of fuel in the back lol ,

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
347strokin not sure where you get your service done at or what kind of fuel you burn but I only change my fuel filter every 25 to 30000 kms and have owned a couple diesels with no issues and I burn rig fuel mostly and as per oil change I do every 5000 k myself and oil and filter if I were to buy it is only 50 bucks

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do my fuel filter every 20000. I notice a huge difference in power between the dirty one and clean. But I usually run my minimax on hot

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about installing that fast fuel system on my truck anyone do one of these yet and is it worth the money

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe instead of everyone saying how good their truck is we should write down what sucks about our trucks. Easier to figure out what works and what doesn't IMO.

Like I wish I had gotten a long box instead of short. The headlights totally suck on my new dodge vs my 2008. And I do have some rattles already. But the truck does go on rough roads a lot. It has 53000 Kms on it so far

good idea... I have an 02 dodge cummins diesel... pavement princess except about 8 km of hard 4x4 every year to get into the family cabin... i go slow... its a 6 speed manual... cost... 110 per oil change every 5k... fuel pump went... fix 5k... not covered under extended warrenty i paid 3k for... fml some days... front end every 70k 1200-1500 bucks... brakes are great and lasted forever though... since went with updated track bar and steering box stablizer seems to have helped... seems like every engine seal is now leaking... but engine is strong..also dumped the 285 tires for 265 look like crap but... mileage is awesome...you can idle this truck all day and keep your foot in it and mileage stays almost the same...300k on it now and minor rusting... radiator core went... new fan also went the one dodge installed only works on high now... my rear door always get stuck, all the window engines have been replaced once... still love the truck... very fun to drive... if it was a mega cab id have not bought my current f150

F150 from High prairie to Vancouver at 110km/h avg 12.0 l per 100 km... keep in mind feels like down hill the whole way... having said that it's very fusy if your into the pedal at all it will suck the gas... keep her under 2000 rmp and your ok... but it feels light... and its really boaring to drive it the way it needs to get good mileage... very comfortable for the family...

plan to fix the old diesel as i don't think i'd like the new ones as much and leave the f150 for the family trips.... if i did it all over again... running boards to protect the rocker panel and well wheel protectors to keep them from getting chewed up.. .the chev's have a great set up... dodges have nothing... f150 i should went to fx4 minimum as they have those factory fenders... just saying... i keep my vehicle for a long time and protection pays... my dodge wasnt except for mud flaps and its gonna cost about 5 k to fix...

Last edited:

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Water separator and a fuel filter from what I can til it controls fuel pressure as well helps the Injectors ,

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Water separator and a fuel filter from what I can til it controls fuel pressure as well helps the Injectors ,

The stock lift pumps in the newer trucks are fine unless you are after more than 600whp. Just run a really good (2 micron or so) fuel filter and your injectors will last much longer.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good idea... I have an 02 dodge cummins diesel... pavement princess except about 8 km of hard 4x4 every year to get into the family cabin... i go slow... its a 6 speed manual... cost... 110 per oil change every 5k... fuel pump went... fix 5k... not covered under extended warrenty i paid 3k for... fml some days... front end every 70k 1200-1500 bucks... brakes are great and lasted forever though... since went with updated track bar and steering box stablizer seems to have helped... seems like every engine seal is now leaking... but engine is strong..also dumped the 285 tires for 265 look like crap but... mileage is awesome...you can idle this truck all day and keep your foot in it and mileage stays almost the same...300k on it now and minor rusting... radiator core went... new fan also went the one dodge installed only works on high now... my rear door always get stuck, all the window engines have been replaced once... still love the truck... very fun to drive... if it was a mega cab id have not bought my current f150

F150 from High prairie to Vancouver at 110km/h avg 12.0 l per 100 km... keep in mind feels like down hill the whole way... having said that it's very fusy if your into the pedal at all it will suck the gas... keep her under 2000 rmp and your ok... but it feels light... and its really boaring to drive it the way it needs to get good mileage... very comfortable for the family...

plan to fix the old diesel as i don't think i'd like the new ones as much and leave the f150 for the family trips.... if i did it all over again... running boards to protect the rocker panel and well wheel protectors to keep them from getting chewed up.. .the chev's have a great set up... dodges have nothing... f150 i should went to fx4 minimum as they have those factory fenders... just saying... i keep my vehicle for a long time and protection pays... my dodge wasnt except for mud flaps and its gonna cost about 5 k to fix...

I've got a 99 dually and I love it. Sometimes I wish it rode smoother, had heated seats, and another gear but not enough to spend $65k on a new one. It has almost 300k on it and looks great still, not a spec of rust, interior is pretty much mint other than the drivers bolster foam getting a bit worn down. Original injection pump, mostly original front end other than steering brace, 3rd gen tracbar, and two balljoints. Sometimes I want a new one but then read all the horror stories about crap mileage, front ends, emissions, electrical issues, etc. This truck doesn't owe me a thing and I think I'll probably keep it for another 200k km or so.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 99 dually and I love it. Sometimes I wish it rode smoother, had heated seats, and another gear but not enough to spend $65k on a new one. It has almost 300k on it and looks great still, not a spec of rust, interior is pretty much mint other than the drivers bolster foam getting a bit worn down. Original injection pump, mostly original front end other than steering brace, 3rd gen tracbar, and two balljoints. Sometimes I want a new one but then read all the horror stories about crap mileage, front ends, emissions, electrical issues, etc. This truck doesn't owe me a thing and I think I'll probably keep it for another 200k km or so.

im guessing the steering brace would have saved me a lot of trouble... after my third set of ball joints... steering soloutions in Port Kells BC hooked me up... if your injection pump is good do yourself a favour get the 75$ red light warning sensor for your psi on your lift pump to make sure it doesnt dip below 8psi... cheap insurance... wish i had done it... a few forums like this could have saved me over 10k... between the pump and ball joints... still love the truck which should speak volumes...

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im guessing the steering brace would have saved me a lot of trouble... after my third set of ball joints... steering soloutions in Port Kells BC hooked me up... if your injection pump is good do yourself a favour get the 75$ red light warning sensor for your psi on your lift pump to make sure it doesnt dip below 8psi... cheap insurance... wish i had done it... a few forums like this could have saved me over 10k... between the pump and ball joints... still love the truck which should speak volumes...

Thanks dude. My edge attitude monitors fuel pressure and it has a fass pump.

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both a 07 Cummins 1ton Dually which is an awesome truck for pulling the sled trailer and toy hauler, other than that the truck is parked hate driving it as a daily driver as it costs more to operate on all levels. Diesel motors are designed to work NOT go get groceries Diesels were the way to go years ago when fuel was free off the rig or running heavy equipment but those days are long gone. theres not a gas motor that will pull like a Diesel. Now my Ford Raptor on the other hand is a wicked truck for running up and down the lease roads everyday cheaper to operate and way more fun to drive and goes like a raped bandit BUT is not made to pull so at the end of the day Im lucky to have both and they both serve there purpose. If I had to pick it would have to be a gas if your only pulling a small trailer a few times a yr.

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
347strokin not sure where you get your service done at or what kind of fuel you burn but I only change my fuel filter every 25 to 30000 kms and have owned a couple diesels with no issues and I burn rig fuel mostly and as per oil change I do every 5000 k myself and oil and filter if I were to buy it is only 50 bucks
I do my own oil changes but synthetic ain't cheap! I was saying fuel filters every oil change as a worst case scenario. My truck gets a new one about every 20,000 kms.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I despise pulling trailers with gas jobs, but with just 2 sleds you should barely notice. If your even asking diesel or has you have no need to drop an extra $10,000. Diesels suck to drive in the winter unless you have a garage and have a 250' remote start.

mighty1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Rowdy, just wondering what do you drive currently. If its been working for your uses, I would suggest stay with the same setup just newer.
I personally run a 2011 F350 diesel with a sled deck and love it. I tried a 2010 F150 gasser for six months and loved it for driving around town and back/forth to work, but missed the torque of the diesel when hauling, since I had two diesels before it.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Rowdy, just wondering what do you drive currently. If its been working for your uses, I would suggest stay with the same setup just newer.
I personally run a 2011 F350 diesel with a sled deck and love it. I tried a 2010 F150 gasser for six months and loved it for driving around town and back/forth to work, but missed the torque of the diesel when hauling, since I had two diesels before it.

I drive a 2009 chev 1500 and its too small for sled deck and two sleds which is why I am looking to upgrade

mighty1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365650739.659143.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365650758.723025.jpg
Here's one for you, tons of torque and awesome fuel mileage. Lol

mighty1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then I would suggest a 3/4 ton with a gas engine. Won't have as good of mileage when hauling big loads over more then two sleds but will be better overall for daily use.

Top Bottom