Diesel vs Gas

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the helpful and informative post for someone that is looking to obtain information and opinions on diesel vs gas trucks and the potential postivies and negatives for both....

:tsk:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am pretty happy with my first diesel I bought over a year ago. It does cost more to run but so worth it in my eyes. I have a lift and bigger tires. It will haul anything I throw at it. But as for oil changes it is expensive. I just did one on Friday and it was the cheapest yet at 120 bucks. I am trying non synthetic oil this time instead of synthetic. Usually oil changes are up to 220 every 10,000 Kms.

Have an oil analysis done you could probably stretch that synthetic out to 20,000km without any ill effects

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the helpful and informative post for someone that is looking to obtain information and opinions on diesel vs gas trucks and the potential postivies and negatives for both....

In my humble opinion for what your doing go with a gas job. The extra costs buying and maintaining a diesel just dont add up if your only using it what you have listed. If you have a business where you can hide the cost of the diesel go that way, if you have to pull allot of weight, go diesel, but for pretty much eveything else go gas, plus when you go through Timmy's drive thru you dont have to turn off the gas motor to hear what they are saying.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If was me I would go rent one of each for a few days and then decide.
I have ran both and it all depends on needs at that time.
The maintance on the new diesels isn't that bad if you get a good one.
So far 54000 Kms and only fuel and oil changes.
I like the urea as no smell and truck is good on fuel with good power.
Anything without the urea stock is going to be harder on fuel.
JMO

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesel all the way!!!! Bit more for maintenance but fuel economy makes up for it. I can put rhino in back of truck and 35' camper behind it and pass every gas truck on highway. Chip, intake and 5" exhaust might help... Hahaha. On way to fernie last week had 2 sleds on deck cruise set at 125 and getting 12l per 100 km. don't know any gas truck you can do that with....

not many diesels will do that either
I can get 12 empty driving nice thats deleted

BIG DAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am on my 4th cummins and love it however fuel is provided Love the power but if I was looking for something to pull mid sized trailer occasionally and majority of day to day driving was in town commuting I would definatly strongly consider a gas job

2010m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2500 hemi and don't regret it at all. If you plan on let the truck idle for long periods of time I would go gas. The guys with diesel in the oilfield that idle them all day have issues with the dpf filters plugging up on them. I average 14.7l/100km on my trips from estevan to edmonton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 2010 dodge mega cab dually and if empty I burn about 12 l per 100km and if I'm towing my 40ft RV I can do around 19 l per 100km providing I'm driving the speed limit lol

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesel is great if you need it and use it. Like big trailers, heavy loads etc...... But in Alberta it's just a status symbol and you are definitely not "ballin" if you don't run one.

Most people can run a gas job 1/2 or 3/4 ton and it will do everything you need and more without costing a fortune to buy and maintain.

For me, gas job older truck = money. My truck has paid for itself in profit probably 5 times over or more now above it's expenses.... Would have taken a lot longer with some $65K diesel pos that I have zero use for.

Buy whatever truck you are comfortable in. If that happens to be the diesel and you like those big monthly payments, then go for it.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have an oil analysis done you could probably stretch that synthetic out to 20,000km without any ill effects
I could but don't believe in the higher mileage oil changes. I am a heavy duty on road mechanic and have watched the oil change intervals go up and up. If it is a customers truck then I will change it anytime they want. But for my own I would rather go sooner then later. :beer:

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I struggled with this as well Rowdy and I own a trailer business so I always have something behind my truck! I had a great 1 ton 7.3ltr. Diesel, loved the truck but grew tired of the noise, expensive oil changes and higher than gas pricing. I looked at it from strictly a cost bases that even if the diesel got 5mpg better fuel mileage I could never recoupe the extra money spent just to purchase a new or used Diesel compared to gas. I ended up purchasing a 2005 Chevy 2500 with a 6.0ltr and have been extremely happy with its performance. Tough on fuel? You bet! But it's gonna take me a long time to burn $4,000 of it! Good luck and happy shopping!

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You didn't mention if you had a budget in mind or if you were buying new or used. The new diesels are pretty much dialed in now with their emissions junk and can easily be a daily driver or grocery getter if that's what you wanted. And if you do have issues, you're still covered by a warranty if you bought new. Now if you do plan on idling all day long like some in the oil patch, you may have some issues if you can't get on the highway once in awhile to get full running temps and a regen done. Obviously these new diesels have more than enough power in stock form to haul whatever you have with ease and you have the HD suspension to handle it.

Again, not sure exactly what you are considering but: a deleted and chipped diesel truck is a whole different animal. My quest for an HD truck turned into more of a hobby once I started putting some goodies into it. Driving my truck is fun, it's not just a point A to B vehicle. So much more power and torque, throttle response, fuel economy, cleaner oil, etc etc. And I still have a reliable vehicle as long as I'm not doing boosted 4wd launches at every light like an a$$hole.

A gas jobber would be cheaper to purchase and maintain, it obviously won't be as capable as a diesel. If you are looking to keep the same truck for many years I would go with a diesel. And remember, diesels do has a higher resale value, so you may pay more up front but you're almost guaranteed to get it back later.

55,000 kms on my 2010 and I've only changed the oils, filters and spark plugs. :D

Last edited:

Jake jenkins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone can voice their opinion but myself I don't have a high payment and maintenance is cheaper for me then a gas job do to most everything is through the company , it cost me the price of a oil filter and that's it and I do all my own maintenance

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Try the search function!! There's hundreds of posts in several threads covering this topic.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try the search function!! There's hundreds of posts in several threads covering this topic.

repetition on snow and mud?! *GASP!! say it ain't so!!...If it annoys you that much don't read the thread! :)

To everyone else that has responded thank you so much for your experiences, thoughts and opinions. I really do appreciate it. Given me lots to think about and look into. Cheers!! :D :beer:

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm on my second diesel......doubt I'll do it again. Motors last forever.....but the rest of the truck is rusting away while I look at it. Fuel and maintenaqnce costs are both higher, and I can't brag about the mileage. Well, I could with my old 7.3 Navistar but they're a thing of the past now. City stop and go driving is one of the worst things you can do to a diesel too. I don't have that issue, but it sounds like you do. For your stated use, I'd definately go gas.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I struggled with this as well Rowdy and I own a trailer business so I always have something behind my truck! I had a great 1 ton 7.3ltr. Diesel, loved the truck but grew tired of the noise, expensive oil changes and higher than gas pricing. I looked at it from strictly a cost bases that even if the diesel got 5mpg better fuel mileage I could never recoupe the extra money spent just to purchase a new or used Diesel compared to gas. I ended up purchasing a 2005 Chevy 2500 with a 6.0ltr and have been extremely happy with its performance. Tough on fuel? You bet! But it's gonna take me a long time to burn $4,000 of it! Good luck and happy shopping!

this post was very helpful, thank you very much.

You didn't mention if you had a budget in mind or if you were buying new or used. The new diesels are pretty much dialed in now with their emissions junk and can easily be a daily driver or grocery getter if that's what you wanted. And if you do have issues, you're still covered by a warranty if you bought new. Now if you do plan on idling all day long like some in the oil patch, you may have some issues if you can't get on the highway once in awhile to get full running temps and a regen done. Obviously these new diesels have more than enough power in stock form to haul whatever you have with ease and you have the HD suspension to handle it.

Again, not sure exactly what you are considering but: a deleted and chipped diesel truck is a whole different animal. My quest for an HD truck turned into more of a hobby once I started putting some goodies into it. Driving my truck is fun, it's not just a point A to B vehicle. So much more power and torque, throttle response, fuel economy, cleaner oil, etc etc. And I still have a reliable vehicle as long as I'm not doing boosted 4wd launches at every light like an a$$hole.

A gas jobber would be cheaper to purchase and maintain, it obviously won't be as capable as a diesel. If you are looking to keep the same truck for many years I would go with a diesel. And remember, diesels do has a higher resale value, so you may pay more up front but you're almost guaranteed to get it back later.

55,000 kms on my 2010 and I've only changed the oils, filters and spark plugs. :D

Another extremely helpful post. Budget and new or used will be determined in the fall, for me it's really going to depend on the deals that are around at that time. The new body style for chev is coming out, then I've heard that a bunch of new diesel vehicles are looking at being dropped in north american soil in the next year or so, these would all put 2012 and 2013 models within price reach for me.

Another route is getting my friend who works for a guy that buys vehicles off fleet and dealer auctions and buying one for a good price off him, which would save a ton but scares me as I would worry about issues and someone not taking care of it. Any vehicle I have had I keep a file with all maintenance records etc in to give to the next owner for proof of maintenance. I doubt most people do this with used stuff.

A lot to consider, I am just keeping my ear to the ground for now and trying to arm myself with some knowledge when I got for a real look in the fall.

I'm on my second diesel......doubt I'll do it again. Motors last forever.....but the rest of the truck is rusting away while I look at it. Fuel and maintenaqnce costs are both higher, and I can't brag about the mileage. Well, I could with my old 7.3 Navistar but they're a thing of the past now. City stop and go driving is one of the worst things you can do to a diesel too. I don't have that issue, but it sounds like you do. For your stated use, I'd definately go gas.

I have heard the city driving is horrible for diesels which worries me about the stop and go traffic I go through on a daily basis. haha I found on kijiji today an old 1950 F550 for $5000...wonder if that beast could get me to and from the mountains...hrmmmm.... lol

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone pissed in your cornflakes...If it annoys you that much don't read the thread! :)

To everyone else that has responded thank you so much for your experiences, thoughts and opinions. I really do appreciate it. Given me lots to think about and look into. Cheers!! :D :beer:

Shoot, couldn't hardly navigate the new posts on my phone among the 17 threads you started about the single XM build you're working on.....my sincere apologies.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shoot, couldn't hardly navigate the new posts on my phone among the 17 threads you started about the single XM build you're working on.....my sincere apologies.

strange...in the new posts list on an iPhone it doesn't show a single one of my XM threads...hmmm. :)

lol and i hope you are saying that like the guy off the Simpsons because that's how i read that when you starting it off with "shoot" also pictured you kicking dust at the same time. Quite the mental picture. haha thanks.

cletus-simpsons.jpg <--like this guy!!

mudbug

Reaction score
I run both Diesel and gas and cant wait till I can jump into my gasser on the weekends, 2011 dodge diesel lucky if I get 16L/100Km on a good day . 2004 ford 5.4 empty 21 mpg, pulling 25 ft fifth wheel and two place quad trailer behind it I'm usually 12-14 mpg all day long. I run a programmer in my gasser and makes a world of difference so much that I don't require a diesel, you can sure burn a lot of gas for the price of a new diesel .

Top Bottom