Diesel vs Gas

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I keep going back and forth on what to go with, diesel vs gas. I don't know much about trucks but know I want a bigger one. What are some of the positives and negatives of both? What is the realistic cost difference to run the two? Now that the price of diesel is the same if not more than gas is there still an advantage?

Some things to consider about my type of driving.
- daily commute to work
- drive to mountains weekly
- drive to job sites in the city daily
- want to be able to haul minimum 2 sleds to the mountains

Last edited:

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesel no question. The torque alone is worth your trips to the mountains. Your gas jobbie will be to the rug all the time and get worse mileage doing it.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesel is nice if your towing alot of wieght.ie (4place enclosed) If all you are towing is 2sleds and

comuting to work in the city,id say get a gas job. A gas job will have no problem going 140

through the mountains with 2sleds,,, Not to rug ither.

Ither way your goona want 12iches of lift, smoke stacks and massive light bars.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesel is nice if your towing alot of wieght.ie (4place enclosed) If all you are towing is 2sleds and comuting to work in the

city,id say get a gas job. A gas job will have no problem going 140 through the mountains with 2sleds,,, Not to rug ither.

Ither way your goona want 12iches of lift, smoke stacks and massive light bars.

and fake testicles off of the hitch right?!

haha yeah most likely it will be hauling 2 sleds and mostly around the city driving. But the diesel appeals to me soooooo much. Just struggling with the decision.

Would it make a difference new or used between the two? Or if I could get the diesel engine for the same price as a gas engine?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Diesel = Pulling Power

If your ever going to buy a pull camper or haul two on the deck and two on the trailer, you really notice the difference in pure tugg'n power on the diesel.
They love to pull....

I have a 3/4 ton DirtyMax and the only mistake I made is I should have gone 1 ton.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and fake testicles off of the hitch right?!

haha yeah most likely it will be hauling 2 sleds and mostly around the city driving. But the diesel appeals to me soooooo much. Just struggling with the decision.

Would it make a difference new or used between the two? Or if I could get the diesel engine for the same price as a gas engine?

I like diesel too, Gas trucks are cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain and cheaper to fix.

If you tow heavy loads and make tons of money,, diesel all the way. If 12,000$ for a

transmision sounds expensive to you, id be really carefull about what used diesel you

bought. New? geez they are nice,,to bad they are 80grand these days...lol

Happy truck shopping:beer:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If this was 5+ years ago I'd say diesel all the way. Now with all the emissions equipment it's a tough call. I doubt you are willing to do the deletes and lose your warranty to pickup the power and economy the truck should provide. The Ford 6.2 and Chev 6.0L have proven themselves as good motors and for commuting and daily driving would work great, especially in the winter with their quicker warm up times and they aren't as picky about being plugged in during a cold snap. That said you will have to work it much harder and see mileage suffer even with only two sleds on a deck. I love my diesel and it's a ton more fun to drive than a gas pot but even with all my toys and travel trailer it would probably make more sense for me to have a gasser. That said I won't have a gasser again and my next truck will either be a 06/07 Duramax or 2010+ Cummins with deletes, the smile factor is just too high.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unless your hauling a 4 place steel enclosed to the mountains every week a gas 2500 is the way to go. I just bought a 2013 2500hd gas and I haul 2 sleds on the deck no problem. Barely even feel it. And It uses no more fuel than my friends new cummins. It deffinetly would hauling a big trailer vs the diesel but light loads no difference. Purchase price is 10g less. And there is so much less BS to worry about. Another thing I've noticed is those dodges sure are saggy. My 2500hd sags less than some dodge 3500s I see around. Maybe it's just the leveling kits people install ruining the rake for the load

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just the difference in maintenance alone.
Gas all the way

Unless u have a 35 foot trailer or haul lots of weight.

Look at the difference in price per litre right now.

It's usually the other way but still.

108 gas to 120 dsl..

sent from my HTC while working

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New diesel emissions have changed the ball game and fuel mileage. Gas is looking more appealing all the time. Unless you pull or have consistent highway runs to clean your exhaust filter. A commuter in town diesel is looking for trouble.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gas all the way, unless like others have said. I will not buy another one, now the exhaust crap you gotta buy and haul around, again unless you plan on getting into hauling, but then you got to many in the cab anyway! Everytime I see guys pull into town with the massive trailers and 6 dudes in the cab I think.......ewwww, instead you can just say sorry dude only room for two, bought a gas pot. Good luck either way.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had 3 diesel for work and I didn't start making money until I went back to a gas engine. The oil change on a diesel is 300 and every time it has to go into the shop it cost 1000. I love the power of a diesel but if your just driving around empty and not working the engine, it is very hard on a diesel. My choice would be a gas job.

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 2

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am pretty happy with my first diesel I bought over a year ago. It does cost more to run but so worth it in my eyes. I have a lift and bigger tires. It will haul anything I throw at it. But as for oil changes it is expensive. I just did one on Friday and it was the cheapest yet at 120 bucks. I am trying non synthetic oil this time instead of synthetic. Usually oil changes are up to 220 every 10,000 Kms.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing to look at is if you are going to lift it. The gas will suck the fuel back with a lift and bigger tires.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another thing to look at is if you are going to lift it. The gas will suck the fuel back with a lift and bigger tires.

Yeah not sure I'd lift it unless it was a chev. The dodge and fords are higher naturally which I like.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Diesel all the way!!!! Bit more for maintenance but fuel economy makes up for it. I can put rhino in back of truck and 35' camper behind it and pass every gas truck on highway. Chip, intake and 5" exhaust might help... Hahaha. On way to fernie last week had 2 sleds on deck cruise set at 125 and getting 12l per 100 km. don't know any gas truck you can do that with....

Top Bottom