Diesel in a 1/2 ton - 2014 Ram 1500

chedder

Reaction score
Just checked (not to be an a**). Just curious. That 3100 lb payload is only a regular cab long bed 2 wheel drive "tradesman" special. Won't be many sleds towed around in that. Looks like max crew payload is around 1900 lbs. makes more sense as you can only get gvwr so high.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope its good on fuel cause at 1.20 a liter for diesel it will have to be....... At least it, or shouldn't be 10 grand extra on the sticker price like most diesels.... if it is I see no point.....
I see this as a win win for all of us. Everyone keeps bringing new ideas out. keep up or fall way behind...

This October I'm hoping to pick up a new 2014 2500HD (if they are here by then) with the new 6.2L V-8 EcoTec3. Cant wait!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this the same engine they tried running in the jeeps? Gotta be a reason you don't see many of them. Just sayin.
No need for a diesel in a half ton IMO unless you want a set of chrome balls hanging from the bumper with stacks and white oakleys js

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this the same engine they tried running in the jeeps? Gotta be a reason you don't see many of them. Just sayin.
No need for a diesel in a half ton IMO unless you want a set of chrome balls hanging from the bumper with stacks and white oakleys js

If you're talking about the liberty nope, different engine. The grand cherokee used the 3.0 mercedes benz engine and they were great. I see lots of them too? Also in sprinters and MB suvs. They just didn't meet emissions plus MB got out of Chrysler hence no more diesel Grand Cherokees from 2010-2012.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about the liberty nope, different engine. The grand cherokee used the 3.0 mercedes benz engine and they were great. I see lots of them too? Also in sprinters and MB suvs. They just didn't meet emissions plus MB got out of Chrysler hence no more diesel Grand Cherokees from 2010-2012.

Thanks for clarifying

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just checked (not to be an a**). Just curious. That 3100 lb payload is only a regular cab long bed 2 wheel drive "tradesman" special. Won't be many sleds towed around in that. Looks like max crew payload is around 1900 lbs. makes more sense as you can only get gvwr so high.

That's basically the same as my 2500 CCSB Duramax then.... GVWR is 9200#, truck weighs 7200# with me in it. If you want to put anything in a truck Legally you really need a 3500 IMO.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ya for sure it is, heavier the truck the more it already carries, just was saying dodge definitely isnt playing catch up, not anymore anyway, they are out there as a front runner, with ford right along side them

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love diesel power but honestly myself if I had a halfton I would either ecoboost that thing cause those trucks are pretty impressive. Or scrap that small diesel and put a real diesel in it! read the Diesel engine swap magazine it has numerous halfton trucks with cummins and dmax in them. like stated before a dodge without a cummins what good is that!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love diesel power but honestly myself if I had a halfton I would either ecoboost that thing cause those trucks are pretty impressive. Or scrap that small diesel and put a real diesel in it! read the Diesel engine swap magazine it has numerous halfton trucks with cummins and dmax in them. like stated before a dodge without a cummins what good is that!
You're missing the point...it's not so you can roll coal or smoke the tires or tow a 40 foot trailer....those trucks are made already. It's for MILEAGE. I drive a little girl half ton because that's what I need...basically a car with ability to haul crap to the dump now and then and tow a light trailer once or twice a year. I don't want to do the 1/4 in 11 seconds....I want better than 20 mpg though.

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Impossible how the fawk can a halfton front end carry a cummins. Never. You would be overweight before you get your own fat azz in the cab let alone a fat g/f and a couple kids lol.
Makes no sense for a diesel in a half ton but that's just my opinion

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Impossible how the fawk can a halfton front end carry a cummins. Never. You would be overweight before you get your own fat azz in the cab let alone a fat g/f and a couple kids lol.
Makes no sense for a diesel in a half ton but that's just my opinion

Makes sense for a small diesel, mpg is a huge part of sales these days and there is a huge share of the market just waiting to snatched up, and if it can still have a rating of 10,000 lbs towing while getting great mileage empty its a win win for those in the market for one. According to your logic why put a diesel in a jetta then, or an SUV, diesel tech has come along way so its a great way to get mileage of a v6 gas job without making the truck totally useless

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was talking about the weight if a cummins and dmax in a halfton mostly.
I do understand the diesel to fuel mileage thing but
You have higher maintenance costs, fuel shortages in winter, stinky smell compared to gas, higher fuel costs, higher initial cost, I just don't see the benifit of it in a small truck

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First lots of guys I know have diesels and I have never heard them say they couldn't get diesel, around here its a non issue, second maintenance costs are getting less on them, hell dodge now has 24,000km intervals between oil changes on their diesels, that helps ease some of the costs right there, initial cost wont be anymore than my new hemi which msrp'd at $57,000 and change and it will get probably 8-10 mpg better than my hemi and will still tow just as much, so even if maintenace costs are up a bit on them, that right there will eliviate that difference. And yes diesel smells a lil bit but on a clean diesel like that I can't see it being to bad, my buddies jeep liberty diesel doesn't stink that bad and gets 40 mpg

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First lots of guys I know have diesels and I have never heard them say they couldn't get diesel, around here its a non issue, second maintenance costs are getting less on them, hell dodge now has 24,000km intervals between oil changes on their diesels, that helps ease some of the costs right there, initial cost wont be anymore than my new hemi which msrp'd at $57,000 and change and it will get probably 8-10 mpg better than my hemi and will still tow just as much, so even if maintenace costs are up a bit on them, that right there will eliviate that difference. And yes diesel smells a lil bit but on a clean diesel like that I can't see it being to bad, my buddies jeep liberty diesel doesn't stink that bad and gets 40 mpg

K I remember less than two years ago diesel being rationed if you could get it. Try to run your trucking company on 200 L a day.
Because of all these diesel grocery getters they cause issues farther up the good chain. When your groceries don't get to the store or the cost goes up because the trucker needs 5 different fuel cards to get enough overpriced diesel fuel to fill his truck don't get mad at the trucker. He needs to eat to.

Yes they don't use much fuel but when there is big numbers of them it all adds up. The truckers/farmers that need the fuel to make a living are being rationed because every city boy wants a big bad diesel with a lift kit it is bs
The problem is everybody thinks diesel is the only way to go nowadays. Yes if you towing hauling often but not needed for everyday driving. There is other ways to get fuel mileage, thus the Eco boost, their getting 40+ mpg and 240hp in the escapes and focuses now, known fact as we have the escape Hyundai and Toyota are in the same area on gas
The gas libertys were getting 38 or so anyways so the argument for better mileage in a diesel is n/a I think in small commuter vehicles
But that's jmo and like an azz hole we all got one right
Cheers

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
I drive a diesel everyday everywhere I go in the city andwould never go back to a gas, your complaining because there is lack of fuelfor truckers first off half the truckers on the road should not be driving a Priuslet alone a semi, second I pay for overpriced diesel just like everybody elsegetting diesel!!! So your telling me if john down the road can’t fill hissupply tank for his farm (500L or more) it’s my fault because I drove my truckto get grocery’s??? Then the truckers that are rationed for diesel maybe theyshould start rationing the licenses they give out to everybody and anybody that will pay!

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stopped by and not much info on the truck but 10k+ more there is no way in hell it will ever pay off in 500k kms and what would you have left as a dodge truck.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stopped by and not much info on the truck but 10k+ more there is no way in hell it will ever pay off in 500k kms and what would you have left as a dodge truck.

This paragraph makes no sense, your telling me a full load 14 ram 1500 laramie diesel is going to be $67000+ i dont think so, only gmc over charges that much for their inferior truck, you can buy a 2013 ram 3500 laramie cummins for $71000

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drive a diesel everyday everywhere I go in the city andwould never go back to a gas, your complaining because there is lack of fuelfor truckers first off half the truckers on the road should not be driving a Priuslet alone a semi, second I pay for overpriced diesel just like everybody elsegetting diesel!!! So your telling me if john down the road can’t fill hissupply tank for his farm (500L or more) it’s my fault because I drove my truckto get grocery’s??? Then the truckers that are rationed for diesel maybe theyshould start rationing the licenses they give out to everybody and anybody that will pay!

Well said. I would never go back to gas either. And I'll use my jacked up diesel in any way I want, even if it means getting groceries.

And if truckers are worried about diesel rationing, maybe some of them should slow down to conserve fuel. That way they aren't riding everyone's ass down a hill or turned over in the ditch on a mountain road. Seems I see one nearly every trip into the hills.

The Ecoboosts are ok when unloaded, but a diesel will out pull it and get better fuel economy with a full load on.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And if truckers are worried about diesel rationing, maybe some of them should slow down to conserve fuel. That way they aren't riding everyone's ass down a hill or turned over in the ditch on a mountain road.

No I cant let you go with that remark.....If you can save 1/2 a MPG in a highway tractor you would be doing really good.

I wish everyone would have to take a ride in a highway tractor at some point in their life, that way truck drivers would get the respect and the courtesy they deserve. Yes some are a holes but you have to ask yourself why...

347strokin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I cant let you go with that remark.....If you can save 1/2 a MPG in a highway tractor you would be doing really good.

I wish everyone would have to take a ride in a highway tractor at some point in their life, that way truck drivers would get the respect and the courtesy they deserve. Yes some are a holes but you have to ask yourself why...

That's what I said, conserving fuel is a good thing.

Top Bottom