deck piles depth ?

chop

Reaction score
need to build a deck that is less than 2' from grade. how deep do the plies need to be ? i've heard everything from 4' down to 12 ' down . I'm thinking 5' down to be 1' below frost line using a 8" sonotube . I hope on the right path . :confused:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what they recommend. Just did the ones for the bosses deck and the builder said he likes to go deep lol. Went 8' and will be no worries for sure possibly have issues at 5 as that is the min recommendation

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372908542.804495.jpg

We went 5-6' deep- 9-10' apart on my shop deck. Only put like 15" of sonnet tube on top. Also a piece of treated 2x6 to nail to, with a few nails hanging down in the concrete when we set them. Cheers!

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're drilling already go 12' with 5' sonotube, the slight extra cost is worth the piece of mind. Frost level depends on ground conditions and many other factors.

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you guys hydrovac the holes Magnet? 12' seems to me a bit of overkill for a deck RZR101... For anything residential for that matter... Lol
I've been wrong before...

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep hydrovacs are cheap when you own them. Lol. 8' was max tried to go deeper but with the small off road unit not enough power to cut anymore.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
piles are virtually usless unless they are deep on good bearing soil and have sufficient depth to give good friction strength. or have belled bottoms. not going to happen in residential.
for a residential deck that is that low ( not sure on size ) just dig down to undisturbed soil ( clay ) pack it, throw down 6" of 20mm road crush( compact it ) and then put down a 24x24 precast concrete pad w/pier block then attach your post of choice 4x4 etc..

seen alot of residential decks with pilings after a winter freeze thaw cycle and some of the pilings have sunk 2-4". with the pier block you can even get a galvanized adjustable mount so if your pad ftg foundation does sink slightly over the winter you can jack it back up. rather than shimming your sunken piles.

just my opinion. if your set on piles. check out screw piles, or go DEEP. 10+ft. as deep as the rig will go! you are allowed o to do this in the city of edmonton, so check with your local authorities.

something like so.. except one precast block not seperate blocks.

small-home-foundation-blocks.jpg

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree with maxwell. Makes most sense and cheap compared to piles.
But hey I got journeyman rate for two days to dig pile holes so who am I to say what's a better way to go :)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
need to build a deck that is less than 2' from grade. how deep do the plies need to be ? i've heard everything from 4' down to 12 ' down . I'm thinking 5' down to be 1' below frost line using a 8" sonotube . I hope on the right path . :confused:

Is the deck attached to the house/building? The BC building code will allow "free standing decks" set up like Maxwell has suggested as long as the deck is not attached. It can be close, like in touching, but not lagged into the structure.

I have built a few and just use the concrete pyramid 4x4 supports (they have newer ones out with concrete/fiberglass and I don't think those will standup to the freeze/thaw cycles when the surface of the block has been compromised). My soil conditons are mostly gravel/sand bases and I do not have a lot of clay to deal with. If there is serious movement (I haven't had any on any of the decks I've built), the fix would be easy. With the clay around the Edmonton area, a concrete base for the pyramid would probably be recommend.

100_1213.jpg 100_1714.jpg

Last edited:

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
need to build a deck that is less than 2' from grade. how deep do the plies need to be ? i've heard everything from 4' down to 12 ' down . I'm thinking 5' down to be 1' below frost line using a 8" sonotube . I hope on the right path .
---- Need to check with the BYLAWS regarding permits -- drawings and -- pile depths at ------------------ ------------ Permit forms are here at ---- ---- Was unable to find the actual pile drawings for Spruce Grove but am sure they are the same as Edmontons at =-------- Deck Drawings It cost 3 times as much to have a building permit approved after construction -- so best to get the approval before starting...

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went 10' down and 10" diameter. I go with the better safe than sorry attitude. I spend a fair bit on a composite deck and I didn't want it to move. My deck goes from the front of the house and wraps around and down the side and then wraps around into a large back deck, so for me the extra cost was justified. :)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Ur making up for a small dyck.

It's Like a big truck and small dyck syndrome

Baaaaaaaaaaaa

sent from my I phone azz kicking HTC

Shortcut

Reaction score
Deck construction that is less than 2' from grade does not require a building permit as it does not require guard rails. Decks over 2' to under 6' from grade require 36" guards, over 6' from grade is 42". Most municipalities will allow free standing deck construction also. (shortcut...Building/Fire Safety Codes Officer) Also, Maxwells design is ideal for this type of construction.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went 10' down and 10" diameter. I go with the better safe than sorry attitude. I spend a fair bit on a composite deck and I didn't want it to move. My deck goes from the front of the house and wraps around and down the side and then wraps around into a large back deck, so for me the extra cost was justified. :)

Was it worth the extra for the composite and how's it standing ip? Boss is contemplating on his as very pricey. Est. for material only is 56k without the solarium he wants to put on the ground level.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Was it worth the extra for the composite and how's it standing ip? Boss is contemplating on his as very pricey. Est. for material only is 56k without the solarium he wants to put on the ground level.

The ones I have done are standing up very well but that is only 3-4 years later. There has been a little fade in color but not as much as in the treated pine. Most of the common people don't like the hit of the material cost............but it is only money!

chop

Reaction score
thanks for the input guys , the ground is clay from about 6 to 10 inches down. It's a new subdivision and was thinking of digging out 9' from the house in undisturbed ground. the deck is going to be 10 ' x 19 ' . with solid clay ground ,isn't 5' good enough ? I wanted to rent a auger and drill the holes my self , i'll check if they have an extention to go deeper but i think they are 4- 5 ft.

Top Bottom