deck piles depth ?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to do a bit of contracting work on the side and built a few decks. Maxwell's diagram is the best way IMHO, and it meets code in alot of places. When I was doing it you only needed piles if it was supporting a roof structure that was attached to the house. Ive fixed decks where the piles have heaved. Never had to adjust a deck I built on blocks. Much easier and cheaper too. If a guy is still nervous you can put in the screw adjustors to lift or lower the deck a bit if it does move. Like I said though I never did have to adjust any of them.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was it worth the extra for the composite and how's it standing ip? Boss is contemplating on his as very pricey. Est. for material only is 56k without the solarium he wants to put on the ground level.

Definitely worth the extra doe, I've had mine in for 6 or 7 years and my only maintenance is hitting it with the pressure washer in the spring and fall. My brother in law put in a large cedar deck, and has to get out there and sand it every couple years and he puts the thompsons on every year ...I usually go next door when he's doing that and watch him while drinking a cold beer. :)
if it's got the proper piling and framing, your boss won't regret the investment. My .02

that was the only negative point is that the color did fade over the first 2 years, but it has stayed the same since then.

Last edited:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks that's what I told him would happen same thing happened to my grandparents deck.
Best part of all I see I. It is never paint again

chop

Reaction score
well i rented the auger yesterday and decided to go 6' down . the clay started right at the top so i don't think it will move . I drilled a 8" hole and putting in a 4' tube so the cement will flare out at the bottom. how to figure out how many bags of cement to buy .

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
well i rented the auger yesterday and decided to go 6' down . the clay started right at the top so i don't think it will move . I drilled a 8" hole and putting in a 4' tube so the cement will flare out at the bottom. how to figure out how many bags of cement to buy .

Mix cement to aggregate 1:5 and a little for waste. If my memory serves me correctly, it is 1 bag/cubic yard (it has been a long time since I last mixed it that way......1977 in fact!). Hope that helps.

All these young fellows with the new ideas will chime in and add a little more information for you to make your final decision.

Top Bottom