Corbin Conditions 2011/12

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:D Good day. No sun but the snow was deep! 8"-12" from the lot up to Rain Gauge. 2'-3'of fresh and some big drifts up top. Lots of stucks and still pukeing snow when we left. Lots of untouched left!
DSC00459.jpg
DSC00462.jpg
DSC00464.jpg
DSC00467.jpg
DSC00474.jpg
DSC00478.jpg
DSC00500.jpg

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HaHa I think you need a new tape measure. That last pic looks like more than 2-3 ft. Lol. Nice pics!

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
man oh man Cory, I've seen more pictures of that new sled stuck than the 3 days of riding I was with you on your old one....what's going on???

like always... the pictures never tell the full story! Roy actually had the 2 worst stucks of the day!!

new sled certainly lays out a trench though, last pic in first post is over 5' deep!

another great day, and with the way it was snowing when we left tomorrow will be good too!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pic #2 in the last set looks like a fracture to the left of the sled. Any slide activity observed guys?

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't see anything come down today. Anything that was exposed seemed to have a rain crust under the fresh storm snow. Good eye on the fracture. We were in a creek bed and it was hollow under that side.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Pic #2 in the last set looks like a fracture to the left of the sled. Any slide activity observed guys?

You're a pretty sharp dude! At the last avi seminar I went to Illya Storm (from the CAC) explained those situational events by saying that there is something missing for an avi to happen. In that situation, all of the conditions are right for an avi except the slope and in this case the wall on the other side of the creek.

The weak layer broke and the snow sank but it had no where to go. Sort-of-like when you are sitting on a flat spot and you here the infamous "whummmph". Conditions are right but when the snow broke the slope wasn't there and everything sunk to the ground.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Snow in the Rolling Hills is great in some places and not so great in other places......the high winds have done their number.

On the western side and the top of the Coal Summit it is pretty skinny. On the eastern side it is real decent for this time of year. We were wallowing around to our crotches without being on the ground and some of my trail ribbons from the summer were buried (so they were put on the trees anywhere from 5-6' above the ground). I forgot to take my probe so I haven't got exact numbers on the depth. Yes, it is early season riding so stumps and nuggets may still be around.

This picture is taken before the Wrangler's cabin on the McEvoy FSR (this road is plowed and closed to sledders and the gate is locked at the bottom. Please respect this and don't try to take anything up the canyon as it is treacherous as hell!). You will note that the road has been plowed at this point in time for 2 pick-ups to pass so it isn't very wide but note the height of the berm; it is over my pick-up.

La Nina is making me excited and if this continues they may not be logging up there all winter as the snow will be too deep.

IMG_0596.jpg
IMG_0595.jpg

Snow Rodeo

Reaction score
going to be riding there on wednesday maybe...is it any good right now? new snow? or would coal creek be a better option? thx

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
IMHO, I would recommend Coal Creek. It will get you to deeper snow. The Coal Summit has nice snow and the trees are sweet. Really have to look around to find the sweet spots. The pipeline hasn't got very much snow and the Notch is quite wind blown.

Top Bottom