Cops!

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once I was with a friend and we got stopped for "widened exhaust tips" I was like WTF no ticket though

hypnotoad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my understanding of the mud flap issue is that you don't need them unless more than 50% of your tire is not inside your wheel well. so a stock truck should be fine as the body come downs and covers 50% of the tire height. i could be wrong here but that is what i was told, and i think it might be illegal for a dealership to sell you a illegal vehicel without informing you of the fact.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mud flaps are needed on ANY 4x4 truck for sure, from the factory they are illegal without them, nothing forcing the dealers to say anything to the buyer. I'm not 100% sure on the height but I believe it is 4" off the ground they need to be. Or no more then 4" of tread showing. And NO tread off the side is allowed to be showing.

Honestly, trucks, cars still kick up rocks no matter what. I had my windshield cracked from a bmw who cut me off and sprayed rocks from the shoulder. Many cars are illegal without mud flaps to.....

Pretty much ANY semi on the road the mud flaps are illegal because they are to high, fyi actually! It's just one of those stupid laws that most people turn their head to and common sense kicks in. You can't have mud flaps 4" off the ground if you like keeping them on :rolleyes:

kimwin

Reaction score
al vehicles should have mudflaps period i am tired of cars and trucks passing me and cracking my windshield, if u cant afford them then park your junk in the driveway, and you guys that pass and then pull back in front of me 50 feet down the road are aes hols. ty

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
here in BC I know if your truck is raised more than 6 inches it needs to be inspected.....this is not 6 inch if suspention lift but total lift including just tires! I hear ICBC could void insurance if in a acident. I have never seen a inspection sticker in any lifted truck.

the worst part is right after it is inspected DOT can make you pay to re inspect it again right after you leave the inspection staion if they are a dick!

it is a money grab!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea that is BS. Not that hard to register in another province though ;) Sask is coming in with a BS policy to. I bet alberta will follow eventully, but it will be tough. I am actually worried about telling my insurance that I just up'd my lift. I am guessing they also look at total height raised and i'm at 12" or so. But the thing is, it is very tough to have a reference point to know exactly how high a lift is, and maybe some people go by the rear lift which is 2" less. The thing I don't get is, if it's completely legal, why the hell is insurance saying no? My rig is safer then a good majority out there because it is actually maintained unlike to many heaps, height don't mean squat. O well....if they don't like it I will tell them it's lower. What they don't know won't hurt them :d

Anyways, yea mud flaps are good, but just because my truck is lifted doesn't mean I need then anymore or anyless then any other truck, car, suv on the road. ANY AND ALL throw rocks up.

mikecbi

Reaction score
from the factory mud flaps are not required ,and your vehicle is not illegal without them.you can not have more then .75" sticking out past your wheel well.dont seem like cyle knows what he is talking about

Hefe04

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One day this season I went sledding and there in the parking lot was a bunch police sleds. I went to pay my trail pass and and got a bit of a rant from the person collecting trail fees, apparently the cops dont think they need to pay trail fees. I understand they may need to assist someday in a problem on the mountain and need to be trained, but come on it would be tax dallars anyway and a way to put some of that back into the snowmobile club. Plus they were not all cops unless police training is starting at 12 to 14 years old now. Just bugged me a bit.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from the factory mud flaps are not required ,and your vehicle is not illegal without them.you can not have more then .75" sticking out past your wheel well.dont seem like cyle knows what he is talking about

Wow, all 4 of your posts have been so useful, not. Maybe you should know what your talking about. A stock 4x4 truck is ILLEGAL without mud flaps. Get a clue.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Equipment Regulation, Alberta Traffic Safety Act

Section 64 – The requirement for mudflaps has been simplified. Mudflaps must extend to the horizontal mid-point of the axle when viewed from behind the vehicle.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Equipment Regulation, Alberta Traffic Safety Act

Section 64 – The requirement for mudflaps has been simplified. Mudflaps must extend to the horizontal mid-point of the axle when viewed from behind the vehicle.

So if you can see the axle from behind the car/truck if MUST have mudflaps?

Is that how anyone else reads it?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if you can see the axle from behind the car/truck if MUST have mudflaps?

Is that how anyone else reads it?
I think that if the body of the vehicle doesn't come below the horizontal center of the axle then they are required.

i guess that would mean no more than 50% of your tire showing from the rear

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
alright so here it is I own a chevy dealer in alberta and a nissan dealership in cranbrook we lift trucks at both of them almost weekly we also have D.O.T and police officers as customers at both the stores when we lift trucks we have done both lifted w/flaps and flares and lifted without flares or flaps all the lift kits have been either 4'' 33'' or 6'' 35'' we usually have the d.o.t. and police stop by and take good looks at them out on the lot and never once have they ever said anything about not having flaps and flares they say the trucks look great and they don't hassle us. Yet as soon as the truck leaves the lot the d.o.t is usally on you instantly for it. Now mechanics that have the ability to do out of provnce inspections or safety inspections have been known to make some things up to make an illegal vehicle pass so some dealers will do that to you. But unfotunately for us who have lifted trucks mudflaps are ugly as sin and do not do more than protect your rocker panel a tiny bit but they are supposedly the law so do what you will I personally don't run them . But if you see a dealer that has a truck with no flaps and on the lot chances are the mechanic may have fudged the sheet a bit to pass it :d

kimwin

Reaction score
i could careless about your rocker panels, my windshield is more important, i cant believe your logic,,,, ugly on a lifted truck,, u should drive a smart car..........ty

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mud flaps are needed on ANY 4x4 truck for sure, from the factory they are illegal without them, nothing forcing the dealers to say anything to the buyer. I'm not 100% sure on the height but I believe it is 4" off the ground they need to be. Or no more then 4" of tread showing. And NO tread off the side is allowed to be showing.

Honestly, trucks, cars still kick up rocks no matter what. I had my windshield cracked from a bmw who cut me off and sprayed rocks from the shoulder. Many cars are illegal without mud flaps to.....

Pretty much ANY semi on the road the mud flaps are illegal because they are to high, fyi actually! It's just one of those stupid laws that most people turn their head to and common sense kicks in. You can't have mud flaps 4" off the ground if you like keeping them on :rolleyes:

false. most semi mudflaps are legal. there is a measurement invovling angles to determine how high each mudflap should be on each vehicle. (i cant remeber it tho :() but on semis they can be as high as 12" off the ground. it depends how close they are to the tire too. 4" off the ground is lower than needed if on a factory half ton. but nothn wrong wit it.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
false. most semi mudflaps are legal. there is a measurement invovling angles to determine how high each mudflap should be on each vehicle. (i cant remeber it tho :() but on semis they can be as high as 12" off the ground. it depends how close they are to the tire too. 4" off the ground is lower than needed if on a factory half ton. but nothn wrong wit it.
roger, over.....AB commercial transport regs say semi tractor or trailer mudguards must be no lower than 150mm (6 inches) from the ground.

smokindiesel

Reaction score
this is from the queens printer Mudguards
64(1) A motor vehicle or trailer must have a part of its body, a
fender or a mudguard that covers the width of each tire.
(2) The body part, fender or mudguard referred to in subsection (1)
must be above each wheel and
(a) extend downwards at the rear of each axle or axle group to
at least the centre line of the axle, or
(b) be a distance away from the ground equivalent to at least
1/3 of the horizontal distance from the bottom edge of the
mudguard to the centre line of the axle, but not closer to
the ground than 150 millimetres when the vehicle is
loaded.
(3) In addition to the requirements of subsection (1), the following
types of vehicle must be equipped with rear wheel splash and
stone-throw protection that complies with SAE Standard J682:
(a) a commercial vehicle or combination of commercial
vehicles that is registered for a gross weight of more than, or that weighs more than, 4500 kilograms and that is not a
bus;
(b) a bus;
(c) a trailer.
(4) A passenger car is not required to have a mudguard.
(5) This section does not apply to a trailer designed

This is the law the web site is Alberta Queen's Printer: Legislation PDF

I have a way of getting back at guys that are lifted without flaps and pelt me with rocks, I call it 450hp, I will get in front of you, and i do have the power to throw a few a rocks lol not that I do it normaly. I do CVIPs and don't pass trucks that don't have flaps, cuz that would be fruad if i knowingly passed it cuz flaps don't look cool. Myabe i'm a bit redneck but huge flaps look cool on a real lifted truck, that does more than drive your kids to soccer lol.

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i could careless about your rocker panels, my windshield is more important, i cant believe your logic,,,, ugly on a lifted truck,, u should drive a smart car..........ty

hahahaha go to any truck draw a straight line from the bottom of the tire to the bottom of flap and continue on i garantee its not saving your windshield.

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
All I had to do is pul my horse trailer a few times without mudflaps on to realize how many rocks good flaps will stop. I am sure my flaps have saved someone's windshield over the last year.

Top Bottom