Considering a ford...

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After 9 strait dodges thinking of making the change, don't really see the point in owning a dodge without a cummins under the hood. Been pretty unhappy with a lot of my dodges.

Been looking at between a 04-06 F150 likely a lariat I want leather, looking up they seem to be pretty good but i'm looking to see what some common issues are? Anything particular to look for or stay away from? Been researching them but hard to get hard facts. Depending if I go with a lariat it will be between 100-200km on it.

How do they stand up to the higher towing capacities? I fully plan to tow up to capacity once in a while around 7-8000lbs.

Any input would be great. Still not sure about making the switch.

MrHankey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After 9 strait dodges thinking of making the change, don't really see the point in owning a dodge without a cummins under the hood. Been pretty unhappy with a lot of my dodges.

Been looking at between a 04-06 F150 likely a lariat I want leather, looking up they seem to be pretty good but i'm looking to see what some common issues are? Anything particular to look for or stay away from? Been researching them but hard to get hard facts. Depending if I go with a lariat it will be between 100-200km on it.

How do they stand up to the higher towing capacities? I fully plan to tow up to capacity once in a while around 7-8000lbs.

isn't ford the official truck of the canucks:beer:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably the most reliable truck on the planet right now, get one, may not tow like a 1 ton, but what do you expect? Dodges will look like a turd real soon. JMO.
Controversy not necessary.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as long as they keep cummins dodge will never die

Not so. Cummins has lost it's reputation in pickups, it is no longer the bulletproof engine it use to be, it's just another mediocre engine now. For older ones, still holding a great resale value but that's it.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't get a Ford... Suspension is terrible (doesn't hold up) My buddies F-150 is going to be on it's 2nd tranny and after a chip and intake they still can hardly spin the wheels. They do a great job at crapping out on you.

If it where me, I'd get a GM. I love my Silverado. And I've raped it and it takes it like a champ. It's blasted through bumpy roads, taken it into multiple swamps, spun it out, and pushed it through snow banks.

The 5.3L isn't as quick as the Hemi 5.7 but it gets the job done and is quicker than the 5.4.

Also, if you do get a GM, get the Z-71, the shocks are a little stiffer, and it has skid plates. The VVT and active fuel management gets me roughly 620 KM to a tank.... Better than the Ram for sure.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have an '06 F150 FX4. Been very happy with it all in all. I used to run nothing but Dodge as well, had one chev, wasn't overly impressed with it. My last two Dodges were terrible on gas, so I figured it was time for a change. I decided on the F150. The '06 has had some drive train issues, but the '07's on seem to have smartened up. I have had to do the clutch packs in the rear diff once and rear seal off the tranny and the input seal on the rear diff. But that's been in the 5 years that I have owned it. The FX4 comes with skid plates, and I put a set of air bags on the rear suspension and have had some pretty starchy loads in it, and she doesn't skip a beat, I've hauled a bigger skidsteer around a few times. :)
My '06 doesn't have the snap that the new hemi's have, but the fuel mileage is great. Don't get me wrong, when you drop the hammer to pass someone on the highway, she'll be up to 160 in a big hurry! Coming home from holidays, I had the family, and the box was FULL, bins, and my jetski. I fueled up in Kamloops and made it home ( drove about 110 all the way home, excluding all the passing) and drove around for two days till I had to fuel up again.
I have the leather in mine with the center console and the shifter is in the console, not on the steering column. Very comfortable seats, and a very comfortable ride, and a back seat with LOTS of room ( super crew) for the kids and their junk. All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this truck to anyone. I think I may get a new one this summer and will get another F150.
Hope this answers some of your questions. :beer:

CountryRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tundra > All.

ur right bro... Every body doesnt go for toyota cause it's built out in asia... the tundra actually is the better trucks out of all of them... Towing a 6500lbs trailer in 2 wheel drive... toyota came first then the chevy and gmc came second... dodge just sucked balls, and ford had 30 seconds of axle hoping going on.. they say tht gmc is going to make a comeback this year...

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ur right bro... Every body doesnt go for toyota cause it's built out in asia... the tundra actually is the better trucks out of all of them... Towing a 6500lbs trailer in 2 wheel drive... toyota came first then the chevy and gmc came second... dodge just sucked balls, and ford had 30 seconds of axle hoping going on.. they say tht gmc is going to make a comeback this year...

If your a midget. The Tundra we have at work has such a low windshield, you have to crouch and lean forward to see if the traffic light is green.... Same goes with driving through the mountains, either the seat is too high, or the roof is too low.
Get the ford. It may not be the fastest, but you can't beat the interiors. The 5.4 has proven to be a reliable motor.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

2004 Ford F-150 Complaints, Problems & Defects Information | CarComplaints.com
2006 Ford F-150 Complaints, Problems & Defects Information | CarComplaints.com

What about a Titan. Seem to be a stand up truck with the owners I've talked to. But mind you, there's good and bad with all of them :(

Good luck Cyle :beer:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont do it man,,, don't get a ford,,, Life will get better its not worth it.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Really you can't go wrong

Top Bottom