Class 1 to pull a travel trailer?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why would they care?

Yep exactly, my neighbour has a 40 ft toy hauler, was towing it with a new f350 SRW diesel.
He came out of Calgary last summer in the wind and he said it was bloody scary, the trailer is way too heavy for this truck. He just bought a f -450, really nice looking truck too and I’m not a ford fan.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep exactly, my neighbour has a 40 ft toy hauler, was towing it with a new f350 SRW diesel.
He came out of Calgary last summer in the wind and he said it was bloody scary, the trailer is way too heavy for this truck. He just bought a f -450, really nice looking truck too and I’m not a ford fan.

It's not the weight that makes them hard to tow, it's the wind resistance. I wouldn't hesitate to pull 10,000lbs with a 1500 if it was something small that didn't catch much wind. I've pulled 26,000lbs behind a SRW 3500 tons of times and it's perfectly fine but nothing big that catches a lot of wind.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not the weight that makes them hard to tow, it's the wind resistance. I wouldn't hesitate to pull 10,000lbs with a 1500 if it was something small that didn't catch much wind. I've pulled 26,000lbs behind a SRW 3500 tons of times and it's perfectly fine but nothing big that catches a lot of wind.

Hard on the running gear though

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also don't trust Manufacturers capacities on many vehicles.

Our 4runner was rated for 5000lbs.... our little 16' trailer was #1750 dry with a GVW of #3200-ish, the 4runner hauled it nicely but not sure I'd have wanted to throw another 1800lbs behind there... that's like 6 additional fat chicks...

My Tundra is rated for #10,300 and my new trailer is still under #6000 lbs loaded, tows nice, my boat is #8500 on the trailer and again not sure I'd want another #1800 on there, even with my airbags.

well that would mean you'd have to leave the fat chicks back at the gas station!

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will a 2004 Toyota Tacoma with a 4 cyl, bald all seasons all around, clapped out brakes and one tire fire diff pull a 30ft bumper pull trailer ok??

It's funny you say that. I can verify that a 2008 Extended cab 4x4 Taco with a V6 will pull a 29 footer. Saw it going up the Qu-Appelle valley a few years ago. Shook my head at it until I asked around and realized it was one of my uncles! Asked him about it - we're still *close* to max towing capacity. New truck coming next year anyways...plus I have airbags...haha

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The duffy lake road just north of Pemberton drops 1300ft in 3 miles. Ever year someone pulling a trailer or in a RV smokes their brakes and goes off the road. Too many drivers are clueless on desend steep long hills.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The duffy lake road just north of Pemberton drops 1300ft in 3 miles. Ever year someone pulling a trailer or in a RV smokes their brakes and goes off the road. Too many drivers are clueless on desend steep long hills.

been up and down that hill a number of times, its possibly the worst in the province with the only other contenders being the Little Fort hill coming from 100 Mile House and the hill into Bella Coola.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been up and down that hill a number of times, its possibly the worst in the province with the only other contenders being the Little Fort hill coming from 100 Mile House and the hill into Bella Coola.

I remember coming down the Little Fort pulling a trailer. with my 05 Cummins. I had a Banks exhaust brake on it and Pyrometer to monitor the exhaust temps. Coming down that hill the Pyro was reading ambient air temperature. Trans temp was starting to climb buy the time I got to the bottom. Used little to no mechanical brakes. Exhaust brake did most of the work.

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spring time heading to Bella Coola 15 ft of snow up top an hour later you are seeing green grass in the valley...

Top Bottom