Class 1 to pull a travel trailer?

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just seen this, I can't even get an examiner to get my class 6 now there is gonna be another rush for class 1-3 . Wtf
e29f35c5774aff3ba0ca938d2084a156.jpg

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its dated over a year ago and says Manitoba. Plus, a camper is a person who goes camping or it fits in the back of your truck. That is a pic of a trailer not a camper, lol.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Provinces to the east and west of Ab have enhanced license requirements for pulling a trailer over 10K lbs. It's my understanding that the law only applies to residents of said provinces....

That is correct, basically the BC code says if your properly licensed for your home province, your good to go here.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its been that way for awhile, not sure what the law actually is when you cross the border, but BC is anal about lots of things thats not enforced in AB.

IMO there should be a minimum of a trailering course that will teach you proper loading and axles weight.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard of it actually being enforced but I bet your insurance is void if you are in a wreck.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If u are over 10,500lbs in b.c. u need an endorsement on your license. Dont know how that carries over province to province. Just more b.c. bull**** . Of course my toyhauler is like 11500lbs so had to do the bull****. Happy camping.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take a look below, but yes as a Manitoba resident they want you to have a class 1,2 or 3 to pull a trailer over 10,000lbs. An Albertan going to Manitoba should be fine with a class 5.

Towing a trailer registered heavier than4,540 kg (10,000 lb.)?Check your trailer’s gross vehicle weight. It appearson your trailer registration.If it’s more than 4,540 kg (10,000 lb.) you musthold a class 1, 2 or 3 driver’s licence.Towing a trailer heavier than 4,500 kg(9,920 lb.)?Check your trailer’s gross vehicle weight. It appearson your trailer manufacturer’s compliance label.For all trailers other than camper trailers, if it’smore than 4,500 kg (9,920 lb.), you must obtainan annual inspection as required by the PeriodicMandatory Vehicle Inspection Regulation.

http://digitalcollection.gov.mb.ca/awweb/pdfopener?smd=1&did=23712&md=1

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO there should be a minimum of a trailering course that will teach you proper loading and axles weight.

I disagree with this. I'm not scared of the guy pulling his 40ft toy hauler with a 1 ton or bigger truck. I'm scared of the guy with his wife and 5 kids in a minivan towing a 25 ft holiday trailer. I seem to find that the people with the big equipment have learned to operate it, it's the once or twice a year users with the "it'll pull it" mentality that run into trouble.

My F350 with 33ft fifth wheel and mini-jet boat behind is orders of magnitude more stable than some light little SUV pulling a 20 ish ft travel trailer, especially if the driver doesn't know how to adjust the torsion bars on the hitch.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I disagree with this. I'm not scared of the guy pulling his 40ft toy hauler with a 1 ton or bigger truck. I'm scared of the guy with his wife and 5 kids in a minivan towing a 25 ft holiday trailer. I seem to find that the people with the big equipment have learned to operate it, it's the once or twice a year users with the "it'll pull it" mentality that run into trouble.

My F350 with 33ft fifth wheel and mini-jet boat behind is orders of magnitude more stable than some light little SUV pulling a 20 ish ft travel trailer, especially if the driver doesn't know how to adjust the torsion bars on the hitch.

You just agreed with me, and I guess you didn’t realize it.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To many people that have no idea how to haul a trailer, be it a 1 ton with a 5th wheel and a boat behind or 4000 lb mini van hauling a 6500 lb trailer.
Just because you have the money doesn't mean you know how to drive.
What really scares me is the retired couple with a big diesel motor home hauling they car behind when neither one has ever drove anything bigger than a pickup.
If you want to tell how competent people are with a trailer go to a boat launch on the weekend.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To many people that have no idea how to haul a trailer, be it a 1 ton with a 5th wheel and a boat behind or 4000 lb mini van hauling a 6500 lb trailer.
Just because you have the money doesn't mean you know how to drive.
What really scares me is the retired couple with a big diesel motor home hauling they car behind when neither one has ever drove anything bigger than a pickup.
If you want to tell how competent people are with a trailer go to a boat launch on the weekend.
100% agree... most of those old farts driving the “coach” shouldn’t even be driving a car....

The boat launch is my ultimate summer pet peeve....
Nothing worse than waiting in a line up when a group doesn’t know how to back up a trailer, waste time while on the launch unstrapping/trap, putting their gear/coolers in the boat, all the while they did nothing during their time in the line up....
and then there’s three little bimbos that only carried their towel and cell phone mouthing off “Umm... like... is this.... like... going to be much longer....”

����

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Alberta is the only place that calls a "slide in the back of the truck camper" a camper.In Manitoba, and most other provinces(I'm sure I'll get corrected if I'm wrong here) pretty much anything you pull around to go camping in is referred to as a camper.
Its dated over a year ago and says Manitoba. Plus, a camper is a person who goes camping or it fits in the back of your truck. That is a pic of a trailer not a camper, lol.

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta is the only place that calls a "slide in the back of the truck camper" a camper.In Manitoba, and most other provinces(I'm sure I'll get corrected if I'm wrong here) pretty much anything you pull around to go camping in is referred to as a camper.
I have both when I am talking about them I refer to one as my truck camper and the other as my 5th wheel...I was planning on letting my class 1 go because of the 2yr renewal and the physical that goes along with it after you hit 40 but this is making me think twice now...

Top Bottom