Chinese knock-off scopes

Peter Gill

Reaction score
Anyone played around with these, good/bad experiences? NOT looking for a get-what-you-pay-for lecture, not going to put one on a 338 Lapua or anything like that, but they do seem adequate (and cheap) for an airgun or .22.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd spend the extra and step it up to a Tasco.

Never thought I'd type those particular words.

Guessing it was the "spend the extra..." As we all know the reps r sooo low paid.(sarcasm)haha

I think I'd take the chance if its just a .22 caliber or so myself.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guessing it was the "spend the extra..." As we all know the reps r sooo low paid.(sarcasm)haha

I think I'd take the chance if its just a .22 caliber or so myself.

Us reps are starving....have to stay in camp to get a square meal. Might have to go work for you guys on weekends.

Peter Gill

Reaction score
Well I do understand "spend the extra." Just bought a new Tikka 7mm RM, put a leupold VX-2 on it, no way I'd use the fake on something like that. So let me reiterate: looking for info from people who HAVE USED these knock-offs.
BTW, sorry to say but I don't like Tasco. Leupold is pretty much it for me.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Or even put on a bushnell. I bought a "cabela's" scope for my last .22 and it is a POS. Should have went with a tasco or bushnell on it. The scope should be more accurate then the rifle IMO.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I do understand "spend the extra." Just bought a new Tikka 7mm RM, put a leupold VX-2 on it, no way I'd use the fake on something like that. So let me reiterate: looking for info from people who HAVE USED these knock-offs.
BTW, sorry to say but I don't like Tasco. Leupold is pretty much it for me.

I have used the Chicom junk on 7.63x39 and a pellet. Waste of cash. If you don't like what our opinions are, why ask??
At least with the cheapy Tasco it will be warrantied if something fails on it. If Tasco isn't your taste, hand a low end Bushnell on it.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to a Nikon prostaff on my 7 mm and love it super clear dead accurate for two seasons now and was cheap < 300 bucks
Best I found that compared was over 500

Peter Gill

Reaction score
If you don't like what our opinions are, why ask??
DRD, I'm not at all adverse to opinions, but I do want those to be informed ones, as I said earlier, from those who have used these scopes. I'm not a newbe, have a fair bit of time in shooting at ungulates in peace and humans in anger.
Your "waste of cash" comment is the kind of thing I'm asking about. Why? Crappy optics, wouldn't hold boresight after a few rounds, fogged up in the rain?
My Tasco comment is more to do with personal taste, I like Leupold. Sort of like Ford vs Chevy.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tasco works good on my.17. Don't cheap out on rings and I think you will be fine with a cheaper scope. I wouldn't put it on a bigger caliber.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DRD, I'm not at all adverse to opinions, but I do want those to be informed ones, as I said earlier, from those who have used these scopes. I'm not a newbe, have a fair bit of time in shooting at ungulates in peace and humans in anger.
Your "waste of cash" comment is the kind of thing I'm asking about. Why? Crappy optics, wouldn't hold boresight after a few rounds, fogged up in the rain?
My Tasco comment is more to do with personal taste, I like Leupold. Sort of like Ford vs Chevy.

The one I had on the 7.62 had one of the lens's come loose. The one I currently have on a pellet suddenly shows a giant pubic hair looking thing when you look through it. I can only assume it's a magnified hair coming from one of the internal threads that wasn't cleaned out. The Banner dusk and dawn or pretty good for a cheaper scope also.

donnie

Reaction score
Wise old man told me once, " in the old days the chinese tried to copy Harley and all the american toys and they were garbage. But after 20-30 years they got really good at it, learned and have the best quality stuff you can buy." Still you have to do your research. Tasco for 22's or Leupold for big toys for me.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a bushnell on my 10/22 and its not bad. Was only $50 or so. Works well enough for its intended purpose (grouse).

I put a higher end Bushnell on my 30-06 and it's pretty decent too ($400ish range).

Can't go wrong with Leupold. Was considering Vortex for any subsequent gun....

R George

Reaction score
I have heard a lot of bad mouthing of these Leupold Knock off's. I bought a $380 Leupold Spoting scope from a large retailer. If it it had a piece of paper in it made in China. I have bought knockoff Leupold scopes and they work better for spotting thene the real Leupold. Our I phones from the Apple Store comes from China. Not all products from China are bad. I would like to know which Leupold knock offs are held to a high QC. That is what it is all about to me is the QC. It is amazing the mark up these stores put on products the buyt from Chine. Looking to cut out the middle man. Sorry for those who say only American is good and all Chinese is junk. Look around you have haid a lot for your Chinese stuff.

Top Bottom