caution unloading at blue lake till spring

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no i was'nt saying bad about the farmer.... i could see how he would be peed off.... but hey he bought the place so.... i wouldn't have bought there myself... i just wanted to let everyone know so there not pissed off to have to wait ect......

jbb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You bitch when they argue like schoolgirls on any other thread and then you come in and make a post like this?

BOGGER FOLLOWS A DIFFERENT SET OF RULES!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
You bitch when they argue like schoolgirls on any other thread and then you come in and make a post like this?

You must have me confused with someone else......

NEVER have I bitched about the arguing.....just the schoolgirl part....It's a new year and since they can't argue properly I figured maybe they can be friends....

don't be a hater Modman....

ajay

Reaction score
Don't usually respond to these type of issues. But. I'm a sledder, atv'r, ride a bike, boater, a business owner, a farmer and have many horses. I see the lack of respect all the time for other peeps land, property and privacy. Just gets me pi$$ed when I see others acting like they don't have to follow any rules no matter what the rules are. Above being responsible. Not all but you notice the bad ones before you aknowledge the good ones and it leaves you bitter. As for the farmer, or any resident or landowner he and their families are there 24/7, it's his home and you should respect that. You are only there to enjoy some recreation,,,,follow the rules and we will all get along.:beer:

Ridin High

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were riding there when all this took place. Day one (1) the cop sided with farmer to keep everything on the calm side. Day two (2) the farmer was charged. And so he should. We decided to go to Owls Head on the day of the farmers first stunt. Once down we were warned about the $500 fine for driving your sled on the road. I simply mentioned to authorities, that instead of nailing the guys that drive down the roads with respect and ask home owners if its ok to park our rig here, they should bust the guys that scream down the roads making it bad for others. Its a small percentage, but its the only way to get guys to listen. We did the whole unloading and loading at Blue Lake once the new rules came into affect, and yes its redicilous. When asked what we thought, it was a simple answer. This will have a huge affect on the snowmobiling down there, and some will beg to differ. But at the end of the day from angry farmer(s), windows being smashed, trailers broken into, threats of fines plus more, will all play a role. I drive down from Edmonton, and for the 8+ hour drive, there is alot of riding area to choose from. But at the end of it all, who are we really? Minority in a situation like this, and we ride machines that burn oil/gas, poluting the environment, unlick our fellow granola crunchers with 'skis and boards' which have much more authority and pull.

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way things are going, it won't be long till all OHV area's are private land. Too much controversy and the government will just say no to OHV, the same way when I have employee's that can't resolve their personal difference's over time, I just have enough and have them both look for new work. I have enough to worry about in my own job. Same as Dad driving the car and kids scwabling in the back, at some point, there is a breaking point, the government is going to have enough of the scwabling and the sledders are going to get the short end of that stick.

Then it will be welcome to a ski hill to go sledding. Lots of parking, plowed, well maintained trails, 1000 sleds on any given day, all paying $70-$100 a machine to ride in this area. Go off the trail, or do something against the rules they just kick you out plain and simple. People with money will love this, the rest of us will have to find a new sport, or move to Alaska.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

To the guys threatening to take $$ away from any sled town, keep in mind that its about respect and how much trouble earning that extra revenue is for the businesses of these towns. Sure we bring in extra revenue, but if a hotel has to replace furniture or have the non-smoking room detoxed because someone got a little excited or thought the rules didn't apply to them, or hiring security to control people drinking in their rooms, or if the cops need to have extra staff on for the weekend because the sledders have been fighting in the bars with "other patrons" (often who are not into "mechanized" recreation), etc etc, then the extra revenue is simply not worth the hassle for them.

The extra "payout" from sledders is negated by the added expense they have of repairing damage or keeping us "in line".

It would be more of a threat if all sledders were respected and these businesses were showing real value for the $$$ we spent, our united voice would carry more weight, but if the hotel owner is getting yelled at every week because the residents across the street had to listen to 10 diesels with 5" exhausts and no restrictors, gargling away at high idle for 2 hrs for the past 3 mornings (for no reason), do you really wonder why they do not put a ton of stock in the threat of us taking our $$$ elsewhere? The extra $$$ is not worth the hassle.

By coping an attitude and acting aloof like we should be treated like royalty when we walk through the door, we also lose our propents in any given area, which are typically some of our biggest assets for keeping riding areas open.

Everyone seems to be condemning this "farmer" without any real proof about this BS that he is solely responsible for the smaller staging area. LIKE WTF??? if someone drove on your land and killed your dog you'd probably be pretty pissed off about it. I love how everyone blames the farmer, maybe his horse died, maybe it didn't....his horse sure is being downplayed like it had 3 hoofs in the grave already, so we basically did him a favour:rolleyes:.......what gives sledders the right to ride on private property in the first place? Give your fawkin heads a shake, be a man stand up and take some responsbility, stop whining and looking for a scapegoat for someone's stupid actions. Maybe the other 3 landowners are just as angry but this guy is the only one with enough balls to stand up and say something.

How many of the people squawking have the balls to stand up and say to someone riding across his private property (or out of bounds) that what they are doing is wrong, write down their license plate and give it to the farmer (or cops) so he can report them?

If we spent as much time talking to the farmer as we have bitchin about him, the staging area might even be bigger this year, instead of smaller.

Show respect to get respect. Its a 2 way street.

as always well said MM

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For those that can't fathom how many $$$ sledders bring in, maybe we should all boycott one town for a year just to experiment and see how they fair. What else is there to do in these small towns during the winter? Who's going to fill hotel rooms? Where's the premium fuel going to go? Who's going to fill the seating in the restaurants. You have to be fairly naive to believe that we DON'T make a difference. There are some towns that work toward being more sledder friendly, and there are some that don't. I guess we'll see how she goes!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
For those that can't fathom how many $$$ sledders bring in, maybe we should all boycott one town for a year just to experiment and see how they fair. What else is there to do in these small towns during the winter? Who's going to fill hotel rooms? Where's the premium fuel going to go? Who's going to fill the seating in the restaurants. You have to be fairly naive to believe that we DON'T make a difference. There are some towns that work toward being more sledder friendly, and there are some that don't. I guess we'll see how she goes!

Let me know which town we are boycotting so I can play in all the fresh snow....:eek:

muffin

Reaction score
Glad i have got to ride for close to 40 years , been a resident of sicamous and Revy, actually not glad , but grateful for all the years of awesome snowmobiling ,meeting great people in the sport . Them there days are difinataly gone :( All you new guys, welcome to whats is left of the sport :beer: I dont believe it will ever be as good as it was again. Respect goes along way,but it , Respect, seems to have been lost in this new age .

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To the guys threatening to take $$ away from any sled town, keep in mind that its about respect and how much trouble earning that extra revenue is for the businesses of these towns. Sure we bring in extra revenue, but if a hotel has to replace furniture or have the non-smoking room detoxed because someone got a little excited or thought the rules didn't apply to them, or hiring security to control people drinking in their rooms, or if the cops need to have extra staff on for the weekend because the sledders have been fighting in the bars with "other patrons" (often who are not into "mechanized" recreation), etc etc, then the extra revenue is simply not worth the hassle for them.

The extra "payout" from sledders is negated by the added expense they have of repairing damage or keeping us "in line".

It would be more of a threat if all sledders were respected and these businesses were showing real value for the $$$ we spent, our united voice would carry more weight, but if the hotel owner is getting yelled at every week because the residents across the street had to listen to 10 diesels with 5" exhausts and no restrictors, gargling away at high idle for 2 hrs for the past 3 mornings (for no reason), do you really wonder why they do not put a ton of stock in the threat of us taking our $$$ elsewhere? The extra $$$ is not worth the hassle.
Show respect to get respect. Its a 2 way street.

Wow, if it is as bad as you make it out to be then the new generation of sledders better clean up their act in a hurry. I guess it's true that the sport doesn't involve too many families anymore but that is no reason to act like retards and hooligans. Motels bill extra for damages so they aren't out any money. Same for fumigating non-smoking rooms. They just charge it to the credit card that is on file. Even if you pay cash they run a credit card anyway. I know one motel in town which was struggling in the winter until Sicamous was 'discovered' as a sledding destination. I'm sure they would disagree that it isn't worth the hassle. As for the bar fights I wouldn't know. Anyway I hope you were exaggerating to make a point. I do agree with the bolded part for sure.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

lol! if sledders are not coming in, the towns will market to another user group.

many business owners in resort towns would just close down and actually enjoy the snow or go south until the summer crowds come.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode blue today. We drove up paid the trail pass lady and parked just as normal. Would like to thank all you guys fir staying away cause it was a blue bird day and deep and fluffy and never ran into another group all day.

Flange99

Reaction score
lol! if sledders are not coming in, the towns will market to another user group.

many business owners in resort towns would just close down and actually enjoy the snow or go south until the summer crowds come.

Are there any business owners on here that would like to back this claim up, or have you already closed down for the winter?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are there any business owners on here that would like to back this claim up, or have you already closed down for the winter?

I know a few business owners(motels) who do this around here.

My point is the world does not revolve around sledders as many on here think.

Hillbilly64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Regardless of the incident it is against the law to ride a sled down a public road.

This is the part that really bugs me.Why are we paying registration for an off road vehicle. Registration is a road tax, but clearly we cannot use our machines on the road.

Money grab is what I say. Even insurance is just a way to get more out of you. Just try and get a pay out !

Lets continue to pay a tax on infrastructure, that we are not allowed by law to use. :nono:

JMO

Top Bottom