Cataract Creek Snowmobile Trails offical thread 2016/17

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also, are we able to use Wilkinson, if so is it in good shape
No, please do not go on "Wilkinson Summit Trail", as this is Highway 940, and is in use this winter as a log hauling road Monday - Friday by Spray Lake Sawmill. They have it organized by legals means from Alberta Highways, and it is graded. With the weather, there is much exposed gravel, let alone huge, heavy trucks on it, at any time as well. Please help our "industry friends" here, and do not use this trail - as they have been most helpful, behind the scenes at Cataract for snowmobilers, this past three winters, and summers.

Spray Lake Sawmill will be finished hauling sometime in February - latest information - and then go for it. I WILL MAKE A POST AS SOON AS I HEAR THEY ARE FINISHED. But please, do not use this road/trail now, as the semi's are on it Monday - Friday, fully loaded or otherwise, and have already had a couple of close calls this winter by people that don't get it - that when a road is graded, it is probably in use.

• Thanks
Reactions: JZ1

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looking for a update, hoping to head out tomorrow
I spoke with Glen last night, and he was working alone yesterday, and was only able to groom out of the Cataract Creek Parking Lot/Trailhead to the Lost Creek Road Bridge over Cataract Creek, on Cataract Creek Trail. It takes more time by yourself, and with trying to improve the trail after the Poker Rally, much volunteer work is needed.

Today he is attempting to groom the Etherington Creek Trail from the Parking Lot/Trailhead to the intersection with Raspberry Trial and south to Cataract Creek Trail. I await to see how much he was able to accomplish today - alone again, I believe.

On that topic, any retired or not-yet-working-again people out there who would like to volunteer to make Cataract a better place for all? I know it would allow for double the work to be done, as we have two snowmobile groomers available for use currently. As Glen says, when the All-Tracks unit is able to return, it will make short work of what is really needed at Cataract, but until then the snowmobiles and drags are all we have for now.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you just need someone to volunteer to drive the other groomer with Glen or pull the drag behind your own personal sled?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
So you just need someone to volunteer to drive the other groomer with Glen or pull the drag behind your own personal sled?

the club has the sleds Dusty...... Glen has a skandic of his own, and the club owns a skandic as well..... just have to go out and follow Glen at high rates of speed for the day.

GrumpyGuy

Reaction score
the club has the sleds Dusty...... Glen has a skandic of his own, and the club owns a skandic as well..... just have to go out and follow Glen at high rates of speed for the day.

Really? High rates of speed? I would have assumed you had to go "slow"-ish.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Slow and steady Tyler and repeat over and over again....

One Skandic kind of down. Voltage regulator issues. Will fix soon. Have the parts now.
I did groom some but not a lot. Slow process with the small light drags. Need a big unit to groom. That may come soon.
In the meantime conditions are not to bad. It will be warm this weekend and moguls may be softer. The further you get away from staging areas the better. I groomed both trails from the staging areas. Better than what they were.
Snow still around but always could use more. Lots more

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well that was a waste of time. Area is in need of a good dump of snow.
There are spots in south end that have untouched snow but not enough to save your sled from the land mines.

also, is there a trail out there that the logging hasn't interfered with? My god they have made a mess down there.

Last edited:

Snowy12

Reaction score
Hi,
Are there enough snow on the trails for a family ride? From the cataract creek staging area...

Thanks,

Well that was a waste of time. Area is in need of a good dump of snow.
There are spots in south end that have untouched snow but not enough to save your sled from the land mines.

also, is there a trail out there that the logging hasn't interfered with? My god they have made a mess down there.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Are there enough snow on the trails for a family ride? From the cataract creek staging area...

Thanks,

theres definitely enough snow on the trails to ride, it's a very rough ride though. I found fallers, etherington, skyline and cataract creek trails to be brutal. Oyster was pretty could until you have to jump onto the logging road a for a short distance.

i can't say what the trails are like leaving cat a racy staging area, was staged at etherington

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
theres definitely enough snow on the trails to ride, it's a very rough ride though. I found fallers, etherington, skyline and cataract creek trails to be brutal. Oyster was pretty could until you have to jump onto the logging road a for a short distance.

i can't say what the trails are like leaving cat a racy staging area, was staged at etherington

Cat a racy staging area? What do you mean by racy??

Trails are what they are I'm sure.
Does the area need grooming and more snow YES to all. I never said it was perfect. Never a waste of time to go riding.

JZI form what this area has been in the past years, this is a big improvement.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I meant cataract creek staging, not racy lol, stupid autocorrect.

dont get me wrong glen, I'm not complaining about the effort and time you and others have put into the area, it's a big area to maintain. All I'm saying is that the trails are rough and in need of a big dump of snow, again this is not a knock on you.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I meant cataract creek staging, not racy lol, stupid autocorrect.

dont get me wrong glen, I'm not complaining about the effort and time you and others have put into the area, it's a big area to maintain. All I'm saying is that the trails are rough and in need of a big dump of snow, again this is not a knock on you.

Thanks. Thought I was going to have to put you on Santas nauty list for complaining about trails condition.
Yes we need snow and a biggger groomer. Nothing that thousands of $$$$$$$$ can`t fix.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Thought I was going to have to put you on Santas nauty list for complaining about trails condition.
Yes we need snow and a biggger groomer. Nothing that thousands of $$$$$$$$ can`t fix.

In years past with little to no grooming the trails were in a lot better shape. This year has been brutal, very late start to the season in the area, a wide variety of temperatures and weeks at a time of no snow has really sucked.

I believe the lost creek weather station says ZERO precipation since the start of January

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In years past with little to no grooming the trails were in a lot better shape. This year has been brutal, very late start to the season in the area, a wide variety of temperatures and weeks at a time of no snow has really sucked.

I believe the lost creek weather station says ZERO precipation since the start of January
Your doing a terrible job getting of glens naughty list!

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your doing a terrible job getting of glens naughty list!

Oh, and whys that? If pointing out that the snow and temperatures where much better in years past then put me on the naughty list.

The area is open December 1st, it wasn't until late December that condition were good enough to ride.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh, and whys that? If pointing out that the snow and temperatures where much better in years past then put me on the naughty list.

The area is open December 1st, it wasn't until late December that condition were good enough to ride.
And you are not wrong. Most years we are grooming the end of November........(well, we only started grooming last year, but over the past three years, this could of happened, if we had the equipment, and Glen brought that out last year.)

After last year's "no snow" after the end of January pretty much, and the low snow for the next two plus months, we were hoping for more this year. That said, no one has a crystal ball. We can only groom if the snow is there and the volunteers are there - also - to do it. We have the people, we do not have the snow.

Here's hoping for a coming snow storm.....soon.

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score

It has been a challenge for sure this year. We have more snow at the staging areas this year than the others I know of. only here for 3 seasons. Way less snow up at the mountains area. Yes Lost creek station no snow for a month.
Low snow and not consistent snowfalls all add up to what is there.
Our grooming drags are working better when they can and its still not enough. Area needs a big snowcat to do it right. Club is working on it but it takes lots of volunteers and time and huge $$$$ to get it all together. When Crowsnow Riders grooming unit came up this winter and groomed the south trails it proved that a snowcat can make the difference to this area. Thanks you Crowsnow Riders for helping us before our rally. This special help was great.
I cant make it snow but with the help of the great family at ALL TRACK we may be able to make the trails a bit smoother in the future. These guys are committed to make a new smaller grooming unit for the market and want to bring it out again. It`s back from its rental use and will be available again soon. Lets hope the snow and weather holds off from melting and we get a chance to put it to the test again.
Back at it this week. Need to fix the other sled and do some signage work. Time will tell. Will let you all know

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard from a senior official from Spray Lake Sawmill late this morning that when he left Cataract/the Lost Creek Road last night at 6 pm, it was snowing there. He did not hear how much, but we may need to call our grader contact to see if he got a call out from AB Transportation to clear the road.

Top Bottom