Catalyst Cat Chassis

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$21, 700 for a doo 165 expert with the big gauge and pretty sure they still run basic shocks all around.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The alpha track and rail is incredibly weak in terms of reliability, one of the biggest reasons I’m not on a cat anymore. I also dont think my alpha is any easier to ride than the twin rail mountain cat I had either. This doo is weird as hell and will take some time to get used to, but that’s due to 16 wide track and weird steering, not the fact it’s a twin rail .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not for everyone, but I love the Alpha rail. In deep snow where I ride a lot, its so much easier on my shoulders/back at the end of the day vs pulling over the old twin rail. I rode a doo 850T for a day and man that extra effort to pull it over takes time to get used to.
I agree 100 %

I get on a 850 and I'm like , wtf is this wide boards and upper body -side panel

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The alpha track and rail is incredibly weak in terms of reliability, one of the biggest reasons I’m not on a cat anymore. I also dont think my alpha is any easier to ride than the twin rail mountain cat I had either. This doo is weird as hell and will take some time to get used to, but that’s due to 16 wide track and weird steering, not the fact it’s a twin rail .

4600 hard km on mine , stock rail

Did loose the front shock bolt once tho

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_0105.jpeg

No regrats going to twin rail. Still handles awesomely. If given a choice I will be snow checking a twin rail. If the Alpha rail is only the option it will get some bracing.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4600 hard km on mine , stock rail

Did loose the front shock bolt once tho

I broke two stock scissors so far , finally got a ZRP one and it seems ok. The track is my biggest gripe, losing paddles, washing out, shitty trail manners. Not a fan. Works great in deep snow but it’s no easier to lay over and ride than a twin rail cat. Just a gimmick. I’ve had lots of cats, an 08, an 11, a 12, two 13’s, two 14’s, and an 18 and all were just as easy to lay over as an alpha. Destroying tracks every few season isn’t cool, had over 5000km on my 18 mountain cat 3” track and never lost one paddle. I rode that sled everywhere, mountains, low snow around home, spinning over stumps, logs, gravel roads etc. Alpha has 2000km and track is missing paddles, been repaired, and it’s never rode anything but good mountain trails and deep snow, maybe it’s the boost that is tearing the track up but I don’t think so. This 858 could be awesome but until I get a twin rail option from cat, I’m probably staying away

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I broke two stock scissors so far , finally got a ZRP one and it seems ok. The track is my biggest gripe, losing paddles, washing out, shitty trail manners. Not a fan. Works great in deep snow but it’s no easier to lay over and ride than a twin rail cat. Just a gimmick. I’ve had lots of cats, an 08, an 11, a 12, two 13’s, two 14’s, and an 18 and all were just as easy to lay over as an alpha. Destroying tracks every few season isn’t cool, had over 5000km on my 18 mountain cat 3” track and never lost one paddle. I rode that sled everywhere, mountains, low snow around home, spinning over stumps, logs, gravel roads etc. Alpha has 2000km and track is missing paddles, been repaired, and it’s never rode anything but good mountain trails and deep snow, maybe it’s the boost that is tearing the track up but I don’t think so. This 858 could be awesome but until I get a twin rail option from cat, I’m probably staying away

I've Also replaced a track , keep it under 60 kmph , and added the 4 wheel kit

I've got more km on this track than the first , have 2 chipped lugs and none broken down the paddles at the wheels, and as far as I know no broken rods

Also doesn't wash out no where near as bad , you can actually use it to your advantage now

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'd post a pic , but Tapatalk is being gay and not letting me

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've Also replaced a track , keep it under 60 kmph , and added the 4 wheel kit

I've got more km on this track than the first , have 2 chipped lugs and none broken down the paddles at the wheels, and as far as I know no broken rods

Also doesn't wash out no where near as bad , you can actually use it to your advantage now

I always keep the speed down on trails with the alpha and was gonna do the 4 wheel kit, heard good things, but got this 23 turbo r now so the alpha turbo is for sale. If these 858 cats are killers like they say and they give a boost option I’d possibly go back to cat and then for sure would be beefing up the scissor, putting a brace on and a 4 wheel kit from new to extend the life of the track and rail.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
The 4 wheel kit is good until it gives added leverage onto the rear bracket takes it off and then stabs your track. Been there done that. Welded it back on, rail cracked. Still have broken rods on the track, been running the 4 wheel kit from the track being new. No missing lugs or delamination, i have only ridden 60km/h on the trails since as well. 3000km on this track now. I also broke two scissors before putting my ZRP one on, and haven't had an issue since. If i didn't have it, when the rear wheels broke off they hammered the back of scissor and would've broken the scissor. Broken both suspension arms as well.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have had all the previous years of cats too and there is no way a older twin rail pulls over as easy as a Alpha rail. Heck, give the Alpha to any new guy and the first thing he does is falls over after a few carves because it comes over so easy and continues to fall over. Physics rules.....

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had all the previous years of cats too and there is no way a older twin rail pulls over as easy as a Alpha rail. Heck, give the Alpha to any new guy and the first thing he does is falls over after a few carves because it comes over so easy and continues to fall over. Physics rules.....

Not really my thing, thought twin rails were easier to ride, more predictable

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Alpha track made it to 8000km. No missing lugs. I fly down the trail every chance l get. The rods were starting to break in-line with the rear wheels so l four wheeled it to get the last season out of it. I can see the teisting force it may impart though.

I've cracked a rail and the front arm before (warrantied). I think filling the rail with epoxy or fibreglass resin might be more effective than the riveted on braces.

Alphas put the power to the snow and have no issue spanking the NA 850s. I hope this 858 is a winner.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Alpha track made it to 8000km. No missing lugs. I fly down the trail every chance l get. The rods were starting to break in-line with the rear wheels so l four wheeled it to get the last season out of it. I can see the teisting force it may impart though.

I've cracked a rail and the front arm before (warrantied). I think filling the rail with epoxy or fibreglass resin might be more effective than the riveted on braces.

Alphas put the power to the snow and have no issue spanking the NA 850s. I hope this 858 is a winner.
There is a insert that goes inside the rail , have to remove the rear wheels mount , comes with the hardware to reinstall it after

Looks much better than a clamp on brace

f63f30c79654922c28fb9f9108974ddb.jpg

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm still no direct injection eh, no one else seems to be able to figure that out.

Why no square bore engine? They just did what Polaris always does put bigger pistons in jt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No, actually Cat coppied Doo this time. A long stroke motor won't rev high but has lots of torque. Torque is very good to have when trying to overcome the negatives of a turbo-charged set-up. This motor will be begging for boost.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The most powerful "bigbore" from all the manufactures, the lightest and most efficient chassis.... This sled will absolutely rip. After seeing the new chassis in person and how low the engine sits, how far forward you are and the new belt drive system, this will be the funnest sled for trees, creeks and drainages... hands down.
But Maxwell says belt drives are useless? And if you want low weight just stop eating Cheesies.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
85mm bore while increasing to a 75.6 stroke <--- Cat

82 mm - 80.4 mm <-- SKidoo 850

Not quite, they did increase the stroke a little bit but the Rotax 850 is way closer to symmetrical.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But Maxwell says belt drives are useless? And if you want low weight just stop eating Cheesies.

they are totally useless. i will quantify that by saying that the very minimal (if any) gains are outweighed by the possibility of having another belt to change on the hill at 200$ a piece.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are totally useless. i will quantity that by saying that the very minimal (if any) gains are outweighed by the possibility of having another belt to change on the hill at 200$ a piece.
Belt drive is another area where weight and rotating mass can be saved and they have become as reliable as a chain system. Many think they are better than chains and some think chains are better. Why do you think Cat went belt drive?

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they are totally useless. i will quantity that by saying that the very minimal (if any) gains are outweighed by the possibility of having another belt to change on the hill at 200$ a piece.
Have not changed a belt in three years of belt drive use - used to change my ski-dud drive belt every third weekend at best
Used to pack way more belts when I owned a doo
Belt drives typically run a smooth trouble-free life......... they don't wobble to a slow death like a G5 chain wobbly thingy......
Try packing those parts in your tunnel bag along with the fresh oil.
No thanks!

Top Bottom