Calgary mayor & NHL

Thunder101

Reaction score
I'm sure most seen this on the news, Calgary mayor has no time to meet w Betman from the NHL but makes time to be interviewed by the news to talk down to the NHL.
Who votes in jelly doughnuts like this guy! LAME
not sledding talk but it's winter and the west can't stand to lose a NHL team.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree! Nenshi has his turban in a knot about something with the Flames management and Bettman. Real leader in the community right there.

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aren't they scrapping about the new arena proposal? Flames and the city that is.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Calgary mayor & NHL

Wow I got a different take on it. I thought he was being a responsible politician. He doesn't want to spend tax payers money to line the pockets of private enterprise millionaires. He was pretty clear that until all the environmental studies are complete ,and a complete financial plan are in place, there is nothing new to talk about. Bettman knew that and he chose to push the issue and talked smack on national news. I think Nenshis response was right on, and he put the little weasel in his place. There is more to this story than what we saw on the news.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: Calgary mayor & NHL

Wow I got a different take on it. I thought he was being a responsible politician. He doesn't want to spend tax payers money to line the pockets of private enterprise millionaires. He was pretty clear that until all the environmental studies are complete ,and a complete financial plan are in place, there is nothing new to talk about. Bettman knew that and he chose to push the issue and talked smack on national news. I think Nenshis response was right on and he put the little weasel in his place. There is more to this story than what we saw on the news.
I agree Bettman is a dink. However Nenshi should still be bigger than that and at least meet him to hear what he has to say. He owes it to Flames management and Flames fans.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To fill those in on the new stadium location....

it it is the old chev dealership across from the grey hound station.
there will be no parking for spectators in a facility
there will be no street parking that can be utilized
they promote more of a green thing IE. Cabs, transit, car pooling, smart car, etc
they want this in conjunction with the above and it does not promote drinking and driving
the site chosen has heavy contamination, which I might add is near the Bow river.
clean up will be double what they are estimating

orgionally I heard the location was to be on the north side of the ring road and Metis trail. Perfect location for in and out access with lots on land.

this new location is central and that's really the only thing going for it.

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
To fill those in on the new stadium location....

it it is the old chev dealership across from the grey hound station.
there will be no parking for spectators in a facility
there will be no street parking that can be utilized
they promote more of a green thing IE. Cabs, transit, car pooling, smart car, etc
they want this in conjunction with the above and it does not promote drinking and driving
the site chosen has heavy contamination, which I might add is near the Bow river.
clean up will be double what they are estimating

orgionally I heard the location was to be on the north side of the ring road and Metis trail. Perfect location for in and out access with lots on land.

this new location is central and that's really the only thing going for it.
Just like in Edmonton. HORRIBLE location. No parking here either. No major in/out roads. I think our city is in for major headaches next season.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just like in Edmonton. HORRIBLE location. No parking here either. No major in/out roads. I think our city is in for major headaches next season.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.
Its hard enough now getting away from the downtown area during rush hour, add in the arena and it will be a chit show.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree Bettman is a dink. However Nenshi should still be bigger than that and at least meet him to hear what he has to say. He owes it to Flames management and Flames fans.

Nenshi has had discussions with Flames ownership. Bettman brought nothing new to the table so why waste time with rhetoric ? If there is new information then I'm sure Nenshi would sit down for a tete-a-tete. Bettman isn't involved in Flames financing, nor the environmental or parking issues. Bettman was posturing and he got his ass handed to him. He has to justify his millions in salary lol

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

From the article I read Bettman didn't even give Nenshi the heads up he would be in town. Remediation on the proposed site alone will be close to $300M, doesn't make financial sense to me.

Thunder101

Reaction score

Im not in the group that loves Bettman Im saying the NHL is pushing and the Mayor hides from the situation but finds time to meet with news reporters to say something derogatory about
the NHL/Bettman not understanding politics. To me, it made the mayor look like a coward. As for what is right I believe all cities take a large stake in the stadiums/arenas and if the NHL shows up
you might want to show your eagerness to "show" your working on it, no matter how you really feel. Its business !! But I guess some think snubbing the NHL is the thing to do after all Im pretty sure
there is no way the NHL would move out of beautiful Calgary. You guys keep supporting this type of mayor and you might find yourself with a cricket team.

Reaction score

Im not in the group that loves Bettman Im saying the NHL is pushing and the Mayor hides from the situation but finds time to meet with news reporters to say something derogatory about
the NHL/Bettman not understanding politics. To me, it made the mayor look like a coward. As for what is right I believe all cities take a large stake in the stadiums/arenas and if the NHL shows up
you might want to show your eagerness to "show" your working on it, no matter how you really feel. Its business !! But I guess some think snubbing the NHL is the thing to do after all Im pretty sure
there is no way the NHL would move out of beautiful Calgary. You guys keep supporting this type of mayor and you might find yourself with a cricket team.

I'd actually prefer if my mayor kept his nose out of sports..... I mean seriously... is this what we want our elected officials wasting their time on? I'd prefer he do something that benefits me, not the millionaires that play games for a living. If you think a hockey team is going to leave a profitable market, I think you might have inhaled some glue, or eaten some lead paint :p

Cricket sounds okay anyway... I can watch hockey on TV like I prefer, and possibly afford to bring my family to a cricket game. Maybe since you seem to be in Sask you can concern yourself with your hockey team........... oh... right.

Thunder101

Reaction score

Thats right Im in Sk and I cheer for the Oilers and I like the Jets also. I like the Flames more the the Canucks. As a Western Canadian Hockey fan I thought someones mayor might be gambling with something important.
As for mayors keeping their noses out of sports this is actually his job. I guess we would like it if mayors/ politicians had nothing to do with our sports but that is not the case.

Reaction score

Thats right Im in Sk and I cheer for the Oilers and I like the Jets also. I like the Flames more the the Canucks. As a Western Canadian Hockey fan I thought someones mayor might be gambling with something important.
As for mayors keeping their noses out of sports this is actually his job. I guess we would like it if mayors/ politicians had nothing to do with our sports but that is not the case.

I was mostly giving you a hard time. I am an Oilers fan as well...... That being said though, like religion, politics should stay out of sports, and visa versa. We (the public) should not be on the hook for one red cent of a new facility for a professional sports team/league. We don't pay for a new building when any other business wants to relocate.... the NHL isn't magical or special IMO.

Thunder101

Reaction score
first I would like to say I just brought this up as a WTH type of thing. Chat =general topic.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nenshi was just voted best mayor in the world he's smart and doing positive things in our negative financial climate the Calgary Flames army going anywhere new stadium or no new stadium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nenshi was just voted best mayor in the world he's smart and doing positive things in our negative financial climate the Calgary Flames army going anywhere new stadium or no new stadium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Best mayor in the world ?.....fricken joke iw what he is and a flaming ndp fanatic. Raised my taxes every year....property values going down and taxes are going up Ya he is awsome ...we are getting more bycicle lanes though

Top Bottom