C O's in choppers

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, if your riding in a closure or out of bounds you should be held accountable for your actions. But in this case these riders were in a permited area with there memberships, permits, and maps in hand. The riders were told to leave the area till after the weekend, or until the matter could be sorted out. Meanwhile 2 other choppers circled above landed and clients started dropping lines.

Coincidence?

wow... know i see what you guys are getting at!

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, if your riding in a closure or out of bounds you should be held accountable for your actions. But in this case these riders were in a permited area with there memberships, permits, and maps in hand. The riders were told to leave the area till after the weekend, or until the matter could be sorted out. Meanwhile 2 other choppers circled above landed and clients started dropping lines.

Coincidence?

So what you're saying is that our buddy Wiegle loaded up a CO in one of his choppers, used him as a big stick to chase off the sledders, then proceeded to use the area himself for profit.

If that was what happened, something definitely stinks in Denmark!

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the ski companies want to foot a bill for patrols and protection so my taxes dont good on them. if they are doing it to keep areas for thier customers thats another thing

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CO's are public servants. They are there to protect the animals not commercial interests. It shocks me that no one is even questioning the "rules". Is it not ironic that the majority of cariboo closures are in the most frequently heli skied zones? And don't tell me that a Bell 212 doesn't scare animals. I am all for protecting the animals, but discriminating against which users are allowed to enjoy this resource is just wrong. If you want to shut it down then that should include Heli Skiing as well. Remember it is your RIGHT as a Canadian to have access to Crown land. It is a tenure holders priviledge. Lets get the priorities straight and start questioning this.

Amen. We are getting the shaft here, we are losing more and more terrain too ski out fits,,,err caribou....

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember it is your RIGHT as a Canadian to have access to Crown land.

Actually.....it's not. In fact, crown land in Canada doesn't even belong to Canada....it still belongs to the Queen of England. Imagine how pissed off I was when I found that out! Tenure holders actually have more right to access than we do by virtue of paying for that right.:rant:

deep blue

Reaction score
Anybody know what the penalties are for entering a Section 58 closure? I have been doing some reading and it is unclear if they are actually legislated closures or not.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there are a few people on here that misunderstand the whole "wolves following snowmobile tracks to eat caribou" thing. As far as I know, there is absolutely no evidence to back this theory up. In fact the mortality statistics that I have seen show this to be impossible, because basically zero caribou die during the period in which this could happen.
Sources of mortality among radio-collared mountain caribou, southern Purcell Mountains, British Columbia, 1993–1997.
Cause Jan–May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Total
Cougar predation 0 1 0 3 0 2 0 0 6
Bear predation 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 2
Wolverine predation 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1
Vehicle collision 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1
Illegal shooting 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1
Fall in snow well 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Unknown 0 1 0 2 0 0 0 0 3
Total 0 3 0 6 1 3 1 1 15

Top Bottom