Butchering a Cow prices and Where?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Happy Friday :beer:

Were looking at buy a cow soon, approx 8 months old. Bringing it to a friends farm (Sherry) and feeding it for a month, before it goes in.
2 questions....

1. What is the current cost/pound to walk a cow in the back door and receive a boxed cow when it's done?

2. Who do you recommend for a butcher, in Southern AB?

The farm is near Mossleigh. I've heard good things about Pure Country in Strathmore, and Sherry has heard bad things. So to keep the peace, we won't be going there lol. Hoping Ken see's this and possibly has a good suggestion for someone around Milo? Or can go the other way towards High River, Not really interested in going North or West of Calgary.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday :beer:

Were looking at buy a cow soon, approx 8 months old. Bringing it to a friends farm (Sherry) and feeding it for a month, before it goes in.
2 questions....

1. What is the current cost/pound to walk a cow in the back door and receive a boxed cow when it's done?

2. Who do you recommend for a butcher, in Southern AB?

The farm is near Mossleigh. I've heard good things about Pure Country in Strathmore, and Sherry has heard bad things. So to keep the peace, we won't be going there lol. Hoping Ken see's this and possibly has a good suggestion for someone around Milo? Or can go the other way towards High River, Not really interested in going North or West of Calgary.
We have had beef done in Vulcan and Vauxhall Doug. Happy with both. I can’t remember their names but I will try and find them for you. I have heard of the one you mentioned and haven’t heard anything bad about them?

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just had a half cut and wrapped at Ryans Meats in Calgary. Happy with the return. Was 75 or 79c a pound.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You want to slaughter a 9 month old heifer? That’s likely only been weaned for a couple months and 700lbs. At that age you’d end up with a lot of carcass not a lot of meat.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You want to slaughter a 9 month old heifer? That’s likely only been weaned for a couple months and 700lbs. At that age you’d end up with a lot of carcass not a lot of meat.
What age would you recommend?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So now thinking about it more....... the price of the cow, feeding for a month and butchering would come in around 2200.00

Is it worth it? Or is there 2200+ on a more mature cow?

Basically could I just buy the same amount of meat at Sobeys for the same price, or going with our own a better savings?

I do know, you can't beat farm fresh

Travco28

Reaction score
24-29 months is best . Over 30 months is not Thriple A . Heard good things about the butcher in Vulcan . Personally use Ryans Meats . Great guys over there .

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't buy meat from Sobey's for anywhere the same price as butchering a cow yourself Doug. Stay the course.

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't buy meat from Sobey's for anywhere the same price as butchering a cow yourself Doug. Stay the course.
And store beef isn't the quality of home grown.
We have a hard time since we stopped raising our own. Meat shop in hinton is close to home raised beef tho.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And store beef isn't the quality of home grown.
We have a hard time since we stopped raising our own. Meat shop in hinton is close to home raised beef tho.
Lots of peeps looking for home grown after Cargill shut down. Butchers can't keep up. If you butcher be prepared to wait awhile till the que gets smaller

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everybody talks about the $$ per pound but are you willing to use the stew meat, chuck steaks etc.. or take it all to ground beef? Think about the cuts you will use and try the butcher route if you do the work you can definitely save. my 2c

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We can't come close to eating half a beef in a reasonable time frame, never mind a whole one. There's also a lot of cuts we don't eat. We have a local butcher shop that treats us well, they'll custom cut right on the spot. For that reason we just shop there, nothing better than picking up some fresh steaks on the way home from work on a Friday night. We've quit buying meat at grocery stores, it's just not the same.

Last edited:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We can't come close to eating half a beef in a reasonable time frame, never mind a whole one. There's also a lot of cuts we don't eat. We have a local butcher shop that treats us well, they'll custom cut right on the spot. For that reason we just shop there, nothing better than picking up some fresh steaks on the way home from work on a Friday night. We've quite buying meat at grocery stores, it's just not the same.
Ya a whole cow would be a lot of meat. We do have a neighbor willing to go 1/2 with us

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What age would you recommend?

A heifer (not a cow unless you are buying a cull for hamburger) or steer will be approximately 18-20 months if fattened in a feedlot. Fat cattle go to commercial slaughter at about 1500lbs, weight matters more than age, that’s when they are “ready” 1200lbs plus likely ok. You don’t have to buy one from a farmer any mom pop butcher will sell you a quarter or half.

Can use current slaughter price 1.40/lb cut wrap 1.00/lb. 1200 lb steer will yield 500-600 pounds dressed. So 1200 pounder in the freezer, $2300 and logistics for mobile slaughter.

Farm fresh sometimes not so much, don’t assume the critter you buy is stamped AAA or even AA once the hide is off.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
When my parents were alive, we use to go to Milk River every fall from Edmonton. Uncle Leonard would have a whole cow and pig quartered and hanging for us. We would spend a week there and cut everything ourselves, including making/spicing our own hamburger and sausage. Too much time passed and now my cousins that have the farm. Pretty much only raise and cut for themselves. This is why I have started this thread, is to get back into enjoying a farm fresh blue rare

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A heifer (not a cow unless you are buying a cull for hamburger) or steer will be approximately 18-20 months if fattened in a feedlot. Fat cattle go to commercial slaughter at about 1500lbs, weight matters more than age, that’s when they are “ready” 1200lbs plus likely ok. You don’t have to buy one from a farmer any mom pop butcher will sell you a quarter or half.

Can use current slaughter price 1.40/lb cut wrap 1.00/lb. 1200 lb steer will yield 500-600 pounds dressed. So 1200 pounder in the freezer, $2300 and logistics for mobile slaughter.

Farm fresh sometimes not so much, don’t assume the critter you buy is stamped AAA or even AA once the hide is off.
Thanks for the correction of terminology, it's appreciated. As well as a great break down for us to understand

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stupid city boy question...... What about a younger dairy cow/heifer?

I remember being told that the older they got the tougher the meat got. Any truth in this, or leave dairy cows for milking?

Top Bottom