Building on a hill

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm by no means a house builder so this might be a stupid question.Would there be any foundation issues when building on top of a big sand hill?I have a big sand hill in our yard that would give an awesome panoramic view if I built on it but I don't want to put a bunch of work into leveling the top if I'm going to have basement issues if I put a house on it!Any help would be great!Thanks!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the biggest problem with building on a hill will be the wind and wind noise, it is constant, my bud can't sit outside although he is on a big hill. great views of surrounding country and storms as they come and go. may need to think about lightning, just my thoughts on the subject.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the part about sand would concern me
the biggest problem with building on a hill will be the wind and wind noise, it is constant, my bud can't sit outside although he is on a big hill. great views of surrounding country and storms as they come and go. may need to think about lightning, just my thoughts on the subject.

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the part about sand would concern me

Why the sand? Never water issues from saturation or drainage, no sloughing of soils from saturation. Easy to dig and back fill. I live on 200+ ft of sand on a river bank and love a dry yard. Building a new house in the spring and not concerned at all. The well water can be a pain with sand inflow though and trying to get a lush lawn, dries out quick in the sun

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sand should not be a issue with a proper foundation. Most of the acerages by Millet are all on sand

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will not have any foundation issues at all in sand on a hill, plus drainage and water infultration will be nill. You will need a large excavation to get down any depth, depending on what type of sand your talking about.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Plus if your on a hill you can probably rig your septic to be gravity fed to your field which would be very cool and reliable. Wouldn't worry about sand as was said it's one of the best things to have and you can always design in wind/noise breaks.

Top Bottom